Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Pretty certain 1 maybe 2 of our later picks will be KPP after last year having taken CCJ,Ross,English,Turner,Aarts,Weller

Im liking the sound of Jeka for his athletic ability and his marking is superb as well as reading the ball but has gone back to the field in 2019
If the recruiters / Coaches see traits of becoming a KPD then he would be a good selection late

Reactions: 1 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
True but we are not in dire need for a tall forward and i wouldn't be using our first pic on a tall fwd. Running defenders and inside mids imo should be our main focus.
agree here, just over 2 weeks till we find out which way we go

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
Still doesn't make sense. No wonder they continue to struggle. Pick 15 D Rioli pick 20 N Fyfe.

The more top end picks you have the better chance of finding gold. And the more may stay up there.

Gold Coast already have 1 and 2 and will get two quality midfielders. Trading 15 and 20 which could be a mid plus a tall for just one pick does not make sense.
Trying to get 3 "mates" up to the Coast from the one draft to lessen the go home factor

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I am already going nuts as to how the hell he's eligible to be in GWS bloody academy, the rort never ends!!!!

They get him under the “His Grandma has a friend who lives in Sydney and visits her occasionally” criteria. It is little-known because it’s new.

• Haha

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Trying to get 3 "mates" up to the Coast from the one draft to lessen the go home factor
Or maybe this happens again.

Seriously, why would any decent player want to waste his career playing in front of three nuffies and their dog on the Gold Coast when he could play on the MCG for the Tigers? Apart from money.

I can understand journeymen types going there, or locals, or guys who know their options are limited. Giving these expansion clubs so many early picks just wastes careers. Decent kids who could become champions under the right circumstances don’t get to play in front of crowds and fans don’t get the cheer them.

Wasted talent.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Tom Green should be tied to us.
There's never been a Grandfather / Grandson rule n Tom's old man never got close to playing the required for Father / Son. Tom grew up, probably was even born in Canberra so his only real affiliation with the Tigers is that the family barracks for us. He's even mentioned that he's spent a fair bit of time with the GeeWhiiz academy already n he's quite comfortable that he'll be drafted by them.

Personally would love the kid to get drafted by us, but that's purely a fan wish, there's nothing in the rules system that says we're entitled to any claim to him.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia

Seriously, why would any decent player want to waste his career playing in front of three nuffies and their dog on the Gold Coast when he could play on the MCG for the Tigers? Apart from money.

I can understand journeymen types going there, or locals, or guys who know their options are limited. Giving these expansion clubs so many early picks just wastes careers. Decent kids who could become champions under the right circumstances don’t get to play in front of crowds and fans don’t get the cheer them.

Wasted talent.
That's a victorian centric view, look I love Richmond, but I love the game and live in Sydney and am a life member of a Sydney club, I want the game to dominate here more than anything

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
There's never been a Grandfather / Grandson rule n Tom's old man never got close to playing the required for Father / Son. Tom grew up, probably was even born in Canberra so his only real affiliation with the Tigers is that the family barracks for us. He's even mentioned that he's spent a fair bit of time with the GeeWhiiz academy already n he's quite comfortable that he'll be drafted by them.

Personally would love the kid to get drafted by us, but that's purely a fan wish, there's nothing in the rules system that says we're entitled to any claim to him.

Watch the AFL change the rules in the future when it suits a team that isn't Richmond

Reactions: 1 user

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
That's a victorian centric view, look I love Richmond, but I love the game and live in Sydney and am a life member of a Sydney club, I want the game to dominate here more than anything

I respect that sentiment. Expanding the game is important.

I don’t believe my view is Victorian-centric. I am strongly of the opinion that sporting clubs start from the ground up, not from the top down like the expansion clubs have done.

A bunch of people somewhere start a club, they get behind it, support it, build it from scratch, pay their dues over time and, finally, succeed. If they are well-run. All the Victorian clubs in the AFL started like this but so did Claremont, Port Adelaide, Subiaco, Central Districts, Norwood, Port Melb, Williamstown and countless other clubs across the country. Adelaide and West Coast are essentially state teams and have an argument for inclusion in the AFL, but so does Tasmania. Even Sydney and Brisbane are relocated clubs with long histories.

Every one of these clubs has a stronger claim on a seat at the AFL table than the expansion teams.

The idea that the AFL can decide it wants to expand into uncharted territories is fine. Put them there, by all means, but only if they have ground roots support. Why start Gold Coast when a Southport already existed and had support? Why GWS and not Canberra, where AFL is already viable?

The follow up idea that a generation of young footballers have to be delivered to expansion clubs to make them instantly successful and compensate them for not having ground roots support is where I draw the line.

GWS and GC are an abomination. At least Gold Coast understands its place in the competition.

I guess my objection is to the idea that it will only work if the clubs have instant success. This is disrespectful to every Melbourne,, North Melbourne, Bulldogs, Fremantle, Port Adelaide supporter who stumps up for his membership for years without success. It is disrespectful to every Claremont supporter who would love his club to be in the AFL and to every Tasmanian football supporter, amongst many, many others.

I am just thankful that, so far, every GWS Finals campaign has been ended by a real club. Long may this last.

End of rant. I’m sure we all enjoyed being handed an extra 10,000 GF tickets because GWS have no-one to sell them to. A perverse Bonus!

Reactions: 7 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Watch the AFL change the rules in the future when it suits a team that isn't Richmond
They've made it harder n harder for all clubs to get Father / Sons over the last twenty years, so I can't see it getting any easier in future. Academy drafting zones seems to be far easier for all clubs now as there's no 100 game family requirement. If a talent lives in your zoned area you're entitled to a discount straight up.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Why start Gold Coast when a Southport already existed and had support?
I was told it's because there's an element at Southport you don't want to get into bed with, if ya folla. (Although the AFL are such hores you'd reckon they'd *smile* anyone for a dollar. Carlton's already in the league.)

GWS was clearly for the size of the potential market. Purely a business decision. It will pay off, there are plenty of hearts and minds there to win.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
I respect that sentiment. Expanding the game is important.

I don’t believe my view is Victorian-centric. I am strongly of the opinion that sporting clubs start from the ground up, not from the top down like the expansion clubs have done.

A bunch of people somewhere start a club, they get behind it, support it, build it from scratch, pay their dues over time and, finally, succeed. If they are well-run. All the Victorian clubs in the AFL started like this but so did Claremont, Port Adelaide, Subiaco, Central Districts, Norwood, Port Melb, Williamstown and countless other clubs across the country. Adelaide and West Coast are essentially state teams and have an argument for inclusion in the AFL, but so does Tasmania. Even Sydney and Brisbane are relocated clubs with long histories.

Every one of these clubs has a stronger claim on a seat at the AFL table than the expansion teams.

The idea that the AFL can decide it wants to expand into uncharted territories is fine. Put them there, by all means, but only if they have ground roots support. Why start Gold Coast when a Southport already existed and had support? Why GWS and not Canberra, where AFL is already viable?

The follow up idea that a generation of young footballers have to be delivered to expansion clubs to make them instantly successful and compensate them for not having ground roots support is where I draw the line.

GWS and GC are an abomination. At least Gold Coast understands its place in the competition.

I guess my objection is to the idea that it will only work if the clubs have instant success. This is disrespectful to every Melbourne,, North Melbourne, Bulldogs, Fremantle, Port Adelaide supporter who stumps up for his membership for years without success. It is disrespectful to every Claremont supporter who would love his club to be in the AFL and to every Tasmanian football supporter, amongst many, many others.

I am just thankful that, so far, every GWS Finals campaign has been ended by a real club. Long may this last.

End of rant. I’m sure we all enjoyed being handed an extra 10,000 GF tickets because GWS have no-one to sell them to. A perverse Bonus!

WELL PUT!

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
you don't think DStephens is like a Gaff or Whitfield? ie in the heat and madness of the prelim and Granny the outside smooth runners are less effectual. maybe 20 touches with no impact

Stephens is a lot like Whitfield. But its unfair to say Whitfield went missing. he had a *smile* back in Brisbane and abdominal surgery.

Bachar Houli goes alright in GF's?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Wasted talent.

agree. not many would want to go there.

The only advantages I can think of is 1. if you love to surf or 2. if you want to earn $500k a year when you're 20 or 3. If you dont want to be recognised walking to get your paper in the morning.

all valid reasons

Vlastuin could end up there playing a Hodge role in his 30's. Surf is everything to him, and paddling out in July in just boardies is pretty sweet

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
agree. not many would want to go there.

The only advantages I can think of is 1. if you love to surf or 2. if you want to earn $500k a year when you're 20 or 3. If you dont want to be recognised walking to get your paper in the morning.

all valid reasons

Vlastuin could end up there playing a Hodge role in his 30's. Surf is everything to him, and paddling out in July in just boardies is pretty sweet

Problem is red heads don’t go well in the sun. Vlastuin needs to hide under heavy cloud cover to ensure his survival

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Stephens is a lot like Whitfield. But its unfair to say Whitfield went missing. he had a ****** back in Brisbane and abdominal surgery.

Bachar Houli goes alright in GF's?
Fair call on Whitfield. Is a reminder that we went into that match with a lot going right, while the giants had no petrol tickets left and players only half right.... next year isnt going to be a walk in the park.

I've gone in to bat for Bach this year against claims of stat padding and ineffective picks. Bach is a champ.

so back to the juniors. do you pick an outside 4 goal in the prelim winger in the top 10?
Or inside mid 2 goals in the granny?
tough call

Richmond probs dont get the chance this month.
Yet with talk that Giants, Dees, Freo want to trade I would be to be trading down and aiming for a future star