Draft prospects 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2020

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
This will help with attitude but in game situations and film are the crux of good selections. Will be the hardest draft ever.

if I’m a club I make bare minimum changes this year.

After the first 2 rounds, I think they will allow more untried talent to train with clubs like Sydney Stack did.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
After the first 2 rounds, I think they will allow more untried talent to train with clubs like Sydney Stack did.
I was thinking something similar in that after the first 2 rounds they pick the eyes out of the state leagues.

go polo

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 28, 2005
with VCE going back to december highly unlikely a draft can be done this year

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Wow if there is no draft this year then next years will be a dead set bonanza twice the top end talent.

Will be a very interesting time.

Wellfullness

Tiger Cub
Oct 19, 2019
What happens with this years picks if they cancel the draft - does anyone know or can guess ?
Didn’t we trade on draft day, our future 3rd for Collingwood’s future 2nd ?
I think so.
If no draft this year the AFL would have to implement those same arrangements in the 2021 draft. So we would still take our first and two seconds in to the next draft.

Wellfullness

Tiger Cub
Oct 19, 2019
I suspect this will happen.
Not so sure. We have a lot of our draftees coming from private schools (a comment on the times) and most of these are sitting what is their tertiary entrance examination, at the same time as they are waiting on the draft.
If this was put back a year it would leave a lot of kids coming out of year 12, in no mans land.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Shortened lists make drafting that much harder. Do you really want to draft a 198 cm key forward and stash him away for three years while he rightly grows into his body?

Lot of big kids will be forced to go into what ever the state leagues look like coming out of this? My confusion with the smaller lists is what comp do they play in? We are quickly heading back to all clubs having seconds play before the main game again IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Shortened lists make drafting that much harder. Do you really want to draft a 198 cm key forward and stash him away for three years while he rightly grows into his body?

Lot of big kids will be forced to go into what ever the state leagues look like coming out of this? My confusion with the smaller lists is what comp do they play in? We are quickly heading back to all clubs having seconds play before the main game again IMO.
Good questions. I think they really need to introduce any changes in list size over a minimum of three years, with no draft until 2021.
This would at least allow clubs some level of planning.
Insisting on a reduction of list size from 44/45 to 35 this year, with only still contracted players put at risk of delisting,
would place an unfair burden on many of the clubs and players resulting in chaotic decision making by list managers.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I spoke to an AFLQ bloke last year scoop and he said the big picture plan was a reserves competition by 2022.

So Brisbane and Suns and WC and GWS reserves play Richmond, Collingwood etc reserves as required.

I was very excited about the notion, but couldn't get my head around the money involved to fly 50 players plus support staff interstate twice a month.

I have no idea how this plan would be impacted by the new world.

I have no idea about anything, if im being completely frank.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
thats good for us TBR, if I can speculate.
Most sides choosing the physically developed kids, especially on the back of 2019 form and athletic testing.
Richmond drafting the highest talent speculative picks that havent had the gym time.
Its essentially our M.O.With RCD, Bolton, Stack, Miller
We are well placed and its our style

Reactions: 1 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
The AFL is worried about clubs like Richmond, hawks eagles etc having a huge advantage with the softcap and want it turned into a hardcap,but that leaves even more Tiger money needed to be spent,so it's going to create us a advantage somewhere else,I would consider dual roll coaches,split time between office and on ground and or sub contract out some rolls.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Without knowing list sizes, potential changes to free agency & what happens the next 20 weeks, it’s bloody impossible for recruiters to have any idea of the quality of this years crop. You hope the club has strong information on the 2019 under sixteen champs. Wouldn’t want to be a struggling club right now for so many reasons.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Without knowing list sizes, potential changes to free agency & what happens the next 20 weeks, it’s bloody impossible for recruiters to have any idea of the quality of this years crop. You hope the club has strong information on the 2019 under sixteen champs. Wouldn’t want to be a struggling club right now for so many reasons.
Might turn out to be a good period to trade for players/future picks rather than draft almost unknown quantities?