Draft prospects 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2020

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Might turn out to be a good period to trade for players/future picks rather than draft almost unknown quantities?
Or the reverse.
We have a well funded recruiting dept. Let's back them in to select future Richmond stars.
Many clubs will be risk adverse and take safe options. Most will take minimum picks and value u16 u17 form.
Some potential stars will be overlooked, from being injured when younger, or had a growth spurt, or a lack of training/physical development.
It was called a shallow draft with many academy picks, with clubs trading out. If clubs pass, then our picks move up.
I would back our club to take 5 ND picks.
It is the picks 20-50 to aim at

When there is chaos those who are well prepared can reap rewards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
The biggest impact on recruiting will be at the other end, they are missing out on identifying the 14/15 year olds entering elite pathways and those kids are missing the development.....

Maybe true but the missing development affects the kids but doesn't unduly advantage or disad clubs.
Let's assume life returns to normal sometime in the next 3 years, all clubs will then see the kids play in u18s. There may be a few who miss the pathway and do a James hird, but i would suspect any late shots will quickly get pulled into the elite system. Again it will some kids will prosper more than others.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
there will be the potential for more diamonds in the low picks.

For example Dustin wouldn't have gone at three in his year without playing so well throughout the year but he would have still been picked later on....
This is the goal. Find the diamond at 40 - eg Jack Ross.
Find the Dusty with pick 18 and not pick 3.
Maybe a Noah Balta type who is an athletic freak but relatively underexposed....

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If it's ever a good time to go through this its now for us.
We have built a quality list with a group of kids ready to come through, Stack, Ross, CD, CJ, Dow, Martin and even Naish.
Teams are behind us, they can suffer what we suffered during 2009, 2010 & 2011.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Best available, key back would be nice but we can always trade one in just like we did with Lynch, nankervis etc.
I don't see any obvious replacements for DTLD. Not sure that Garthy can handle gorillas or if either Chol or Balta are the answer.

We should be targeting a key defender in the next trade period.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I see the Power just cut Jake Patmore.

Ideal rookie type player. Really looked the goods when he played for Claremont. Has had injuries.

Reactions: 1 user

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Hoping we Rookie list Fraser Turner back to the club

showed good signs in 2019 in the vfl but no games this year apart from the junk scrimmage games and the kids only 19 with no real chance to prove himself . 2 -3 years on a rookie list to develop would be great.

Reactions: 12 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Jake Patmore is a 182cm midfielder who I saw play at Claremont in the colts a number of times.

I have a mate who played over 150 games for Claremont who was big wraps on Patmore and reckons he is a rebounding defender at AFL level. First time I saw him he was pretty quiet in the first half of a colts game, but then exploded in the second half (21 touches in the 3rd qtr alone, finished with 42) and absolutely dominated.

He is pretty damn quick and very agile. Very good hands, reminds me a bit of Shedda in this regard. Finds the footy for sure. Got heaps of it at WAFL Colts level, then followed up with similar numbers in the U/18 championship.

The main knock on him is that he is much more outside than inside as a player.

He did a knee last year, and hasn't played this year.

Rookie pick at best, but worth a look I reckon.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Jake Patmore is a 182cm midfielder who I saw play at Claremont in the colts a number of times but then exploded in the second half (21 touches in the 3rd qtr alone, finished with 42)
WTF! Did the kid bring his own footy n play on a side oval by himself during that third qtr before going back n rejoining the game?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Hoping we Rookie list Fraser Turner back to the club

showed good signs in 2019 in the vfl but no games this year apart from the junk scrimmage games and the kids only 19 with no real chance to prove himself . 2 -3 years on a rookie list to develop would be great.

I reckon he's a chance. Clearly the AFL caved to the AFLPA being as they wanted list sizes below 40 with a 20% drop in TPP, whereas the AFLPA wanted 44 and 5%. Far far closer to the AFLPA.

I wonder when we delisted him what our thoughts were on list sizes. I think this is the first time we have seen variable list sizes so it'll be interesting to see what each club does. I suspect we will still go closer to 40, but if we can promote those that are being paid more than the rookie wage to the main list then its an option to take rookie picks. We ahve picked gold recently so I'd definitely be behind this strategy.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Reckon too that the Higgo move has given Turner an opportunity.
When Turner was delisted the club was probably planning on having little Jack on the books.
But the larger than expected list size and Higgins out gives Turner a rookie chance

Reactions: 3 users