Dragga At The Ready | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dragga At The Ready

A

admin

Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
11:19:25 AM Mon 16 December, 2002

While there's been plenty of focus in recent weeks on Richmond's midfield 'recruits' (Johnson, Blumfield, Fleming and Nicholls), one young Tiger is quietly, but determinedly going about his business, hoping that an overdue change of luck will also see him slot into that crucial on-field department at some stage in 2003.

Marc Dragicevic is steadily recovering from his second total knee reconstruction in two years, and he can't wait to get back out on the park and play footy again.

"It's coming along nicely at the moment," was Dragicevic's reply to the inevitable first-up question.

"I've been joining in the drills most of this pre-season and doing everything, so I'm a happy boy at the moment. The knee's feeling good and I suppose it's a case of fingers crossed now."

'Dragga' tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee for the second time in the opening 30 seconds of Richmond's Wizard Cup win over Carlton at Telstra Dome (formerly Colonial Stadium) on March 1 this year. It was only his third appearance for the Tigers since he first injured his knee against the Kangaroos in Round 6 of the 2001 season, also at Telstra Dome.

He spent the 2002 premiership season preparing himself, both physically and mentally, for the significant challenge of making a successful comeback to AFL football after virtually two years on the sidelines.

"I'm just very keen at the moment and really motivated, which is a good thing. I think if the mind's all right, the body will follow," Dragicevic said.

"I'm the sort of person who'll set pretty high goals and high standards, so I'd like to play 22 senior games next season. But I know it's going to be hard to do that.

"Basically, next year, I just want to play 22 games, wherever it might be. I just want to get through it okay and get some confidence back."

Although Dragicevic's immediate aim is simply to play the game he loves each week, he has his sights set on a specific role within the senior ranks.

"I've always said that I play my best footy in the midfield, so I really want to work on my fitness during the pre-season, because you need good, hard-running players in there,'' Dragicevic said.

"I suppose I'll try and take up a role as maybe an in-and-under type player -- a bit of a Paul Broderick type."

And, anyone who's seen a bulked-up Dragga at training recently, wouldn't be surprised that he's keen to model his game on 'Brodders', who had such an impact in the midfield during his time at Tigerland.

Dragga said that he had put on 9kg since he first damaged his knee in 2001. He now tips the scales at 85kg, making him about the same weight as P. Broderick in his playing prime.

"Once I did the first one (knee), the plan was to try and work on my upper body and I've been pleased with the way that's gone," he said.

"You need the fitness to run in the midfield, but you also need some strength to help you compete in there."

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
"I've been joining in the drills most of this pre-season and doing everything, so I'm a happy boy at the moment. The knee's feeling good and I suppose it's a case of fingers crossed now."
Makes me a happy girl ;D

Dragga said that he had put on 9kg since he first damaged his knee in 2001. He now tips the scales at 85kg
Well at least he isn't so skinny anymore. People were complaining that our players were to skinny so it's good news that some of our players have bulked up.

He knows he's going to have to work his arse off to get back into the team and by the sound of it he's prepared to do it. Go Dragga you can do it ;D

TigersGoddess

Sing it Loud
Dec 17, 2002
Punt Road Oval
Posts from the other message board.

Good too see Dragga's recovery progressing well.

Remember Paul Lucuria had two knee recontructions before he was 20 and he has developed into a rather handy player.

Dragger and Rodgers will give plenty of midfield drive for Coburg.

It'll be good to see him back and I hope he has a good injury free run for awhile atleast so he can show us what he can do, atleast he is talkin like he wants to be in and under!! I'd like to hear a few more of them say that!!

Having said that I know Brodders was creative but in an under ...... Liked him alot as a player but I am not sure he was hard at it midfielder.....

What do you think people?

It depends what you mean by hard at it??? If you mean a pack busting runner like Voss, Johnson, Kelly or Riccuitto you're right, Brodders wasnt like that.

But, while Brodders wasnt the fastest guy on the field he was willing to work right at the fall of the ball trying to win the contest on the ground, the place where we got slaughtered last year. So if Dragga can carve out a place there to win the ball and feed to the runners he'll be very welcome.

Still, he's never shown signs of doing that before and I fear Diggler might be right and unless Dragga can reinvent himself Coburg may have just picked up a good replacement for Poyas.

PS. The talk on the Collingwood board, from the outer, is that the Pies are looking at Poyas.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I remains to be seen if Dragga ever makes it as a footballer but he does have something that alot of players especially at Richmond don't have, and thats the right mentle attitude.

I hope he does get it all together this year and plays some good football.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
I remember Dragga playin a few years back and was really excited by how good he was gonna be....
With an an attitude like that plus a bit of weight and the hunger to play after missing two years....
I am looking forward to seeing him give it a go...
And PMac I disagree... from memory Dragga had lovely skills was quick and wasnt scared to put his body on the line and did read the ball well off the pack in fact he kicked some pretty good goals .... IMO

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
TD, I never doubted Dragga's skills or courage when I said he had to reinvent himself.

Until now Dragga has been used almost exclusively as a small forward within the 50m arc. As such he's been averaging around 10 possessions a game and not had to worry overly much about minding a man.

If he is now talking about becoming an inside midfielder he's going to have to rely far more on reading the play to put himself at the contest all over the ground, pretty much double his current possession rate and at least run with pretty dangerous opposition midfielders himself.

I'm certainly not saying he cant make the leap, but I believe it is quite a leap he's proposing and I havent seen him try anything like this before.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Not up to it before he had 2 reco's. We have too many unskilled hacks and dont need another.

YeahNah

Attitude + Expectation = Culture
Dec 19, 2002
Upper Yarra Valley
I think it will take him half a season to get back to the pace of AFL standard. 2 years is a long time to be out of the game. If he cements a regular place in the side in the first 12 rounds, that would be an outstanding effort.

A

admin

Hey, Diggler.
That avatar is worse than the last one.  Dare I say it, bring back Sheeds.
I thought it was Sheeds after realising we'll flog the Bummers next year. ;D
Go Tiges.