Dragicevic | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dragicevic

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
Read in the Advertiser today that Mark Dragicevic has retired and will be playing his last game this weekend for West reserves.Such a wonderful talent cut down by injuries.All the best Mark in your future endeavours!! :clap :clap

tigerdave said:
Read in the Advertiser today that Mark Dragicevic has retired and will be playing his last game this weekend for West reserves.Such a wonderful talent cut down by injuries.All the best Mark in your future endeavours!! :clap :clap

Ere Ere, second the thoughts & best wishes to Draga.

How old would he be today? Injury free, could've been an elite midfielder now.... sigh...

Tigerblood said:
How old would he be today? Injury free, could've been an elite midfielder now.... sigh...
runner up in the b & f for the past 3 years at west adelaide. Retired due to tendonitis in both knees and arthritis in an ankle.
Still young, but past injuries finally took their toll.
Good luck for life after footy Dragga

I remember seeing one of his early games at the Dome-----he had blistering pace--he was going to be a beauty!!! Cut down by major injuries---a real shame .

I was sitting just behind the interchange on the day he did his second knee.

He ran onto the ground, went to head to the right end of the dome and was motioned to go to the left so he seemed to turn and change direction in one motion.

No collision, no crack, the knee just went and that was it.

Tragic.

Please correect me but I think he won a game for us against Freo with a goal after the siren at Subi oval -One of the few times Ive watch us have a win at Subi

Cuzzo said:
Please correect me but I think he won a game for us against Freo with a goal after the siren at Subi oval -One of the few times Ive watch us have a win at Subi

If it was Ben Hollands, I believe the game was actually against Port Adelaide at AAMI - that's the one that I recall. Night game, in the rain. He might have done similar against Freo too, but don't recall that one.

I thought Clogs' goal was after the siren too but I suspect I'm thinking of the game below.

David Clayton's match report from 1999

Round 13, Sunday 27th June versus Fremantle at Subiaco

A cloudy day with forecast possible showers cleared right up and saw both of these lower half of the ladder sides battle it out in front of a reasonable crowd. Richmond again played a tall squad but had a phalanx of pacey players to combat the possible advantage Fremantle may have in that area.
Richmond kicked against the breeze in the first quarter and with Gale winning in the ruck got away to a flying start. Richardson was marking all around the ground and got the first goal of the game, and with Plapp and Holland supplying marking targets to the dominant Tiger centre brigade the Tigers shot out to a big lead before Fremantle hit back to a goal. A terrific smother by Chaffey set up a goal to Holland before Fremantle started to get the ball out of the centre and strung together goals to even the game up at the first break in a game were both defences were being beaten. Richardson left the ground bleeding after being spoiled for a mark, but returned about another kilo heavier with the bandages around his head but was still the Tiger's best for the quarter, with Gale, Sampson, Daffy, Broderick and Dragicevic also good.

1/4 time score: Richmond 6-2-38, Fremantle 5-2-32.

The Tigers again started well with the first goal to Ottens, but Fremantle hit back with the next two as both defences again were under siege. Gale was now being nullified in the ruck and being beaten around the ground but then left the ground with an injury as both sides scored a couple of goals to make it a close attacking game. Fremantle ran the ball forward for a couple of more goals to stretch their lead as they were now getting on top in the midfield as well as tightening their defence to keep the Tigers from scoring easily. The half ended with Fremantle having all the momentum since midway through the first quarter and a handy lead in a game where both sides had scored from their opportunities. After Gale went off McKee had spent some time in the ruck after being beaten in defence, and then Ottens had a run but Fremantle were still holding the Tiger on-ballers. Best for Richmond so far was Richardson, although he had a quiet second quarter, with Rogers, Campbell and Plapp doing a bit in that quarter as well.

1/2 time score: Richmond 9-4-58, Fremantle 11-5-71.

Fremantle had adjusted to overcome Richmond's early ascendancy, now it was up to the Tigers to counter Fremantle's moves and get back on top. Fremantle extended their lead with the first goal of the half before the Tigers fought back with goals to Holland and Richardson to make it a kick the difference. Ottens is now on top in the ruck setting the Tigers up at each contest and his efforts are rewarded when he kicks a goal to give the Tigers the lead back half way through the quarter. The Tigers were now peppering the goals and some good pressure sets up a running goal to Richardson who was back on top as well, another string of good team play set up the deceptive Sampson and Richmond were playing all over Fremantle with Knights really getting into the match now. Fremantle get one back before the Tigers just miss out running into an open goal as the siren sounds to end the quarter they dominated. Good for Richmond in the quarter were Ottens, Richardson, Knights, Plapp, Rogers, D.Kellaway and most other Tiger players lifted although their defence was still a bit shaky.

3/4 time score: Richmond 14-9-93, Fremantle 13-7-85.

Richmond had worked hard to get back in front, but the question would be if the effort has left them with enough "in the tank" to finish the game. Fremantle would have to counter the Richmond forwards, or at least restrict the supply to them, or they would be defeated. An easy miss followed by a goal from a 50M penalty gets Fremantle back in it, but the Tigers hit back straight away through Plapp. After some continuous pressure Fremantle even the game right up as Richmond now look a little tired, but both sides were making mistakes and Fremantle give Knights a 50M penalty and goal after some undisciplined play. Fremantle keep the pressure up as Richmond are having a lot of trouble clearing the ball out of defence and a goal to Waterhouse, who has got right on top of Rogers, goals to even the game and then is on the end of another goal to give them the lead as Richmond have stopped chasing. Richmond persist and Richardson bags his sixth to even this shootout up again and it looks like it will be last goal wins as time on approaches. Bowden has now stopped Waterhouse as goals are again exchanged before young "Changi" Hollands marks a misdirected kickout and goals to put Richmond a point in front as they then hold out Fremantle in the dying seconds to win by that margin. Best for Richmond over the four quarters was Richardson, with Ottens, Knights, Plapp, Rogers, Campbell, Daffy and a host others all contributing at times.

Final score: Richmond 19-13-127 Fremantle 19-12-126.

Must say Dragga was in my sights since I saw him in the Under 18 TAC Cup grand final.

When we picked him up I was over the moon. When I saw him play for us, I thought boy do we have one here!

Met him a few times, he and Pat Steinfort were very close friends and were the practical jokers of the club.

Was a shame what happened to him, nice guy deserved better.

Wish him all the best in his future endeavors!

The recruiting of Dragga was one of the few really brilliant pieces of drafting I have seen from the Tigers, and not just because of the player we got. IIRC, this draft had a rule limiting the access of clubs to one 16 year old (or maybe 17 year old, can't remember exactly). A lot of clubs went in and choose their young player early, but Richmond, Carlton and Sydney chose to wait until late in the draft.

I am pretty sure that we got Dragga, Carlton got Fevola and Sydney got Goodes all late in that draft because of that rule. Basically these players were available because the other clubs couldn't pick them.