DRAW 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DRAW 2023

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
I could never live in QLD. The humidity in summer would drive me insane.
Living in Port Douglas is wonderful, but it does get very humid in the buildups during wet season. I could never live back in Geelong (where I grew up) and even SE Qld winters would feel cold to me now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Been living in QLD for the past 33 years. The only part of the Gold Coast weather that I can't stand are the months of continuous winter blue skies when we get El Nino. Sounds weird but I love the rain and storms.

Reactions: 3 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I could never live in QLD. The humidity in summer would drive me insane. Winter is SE QLD is sensational but I actually don't mind cold weather so Melbourne's climate is okay by me. Let's face it by northern hemisphere standards our winters are a long way from cold. Plus I like the fact that we actually have four seasons (sometimes all in one day!).

I have lived in Sydney and spent a lot of time in all major cities in Australia. Melbourne is far from perfect but IMHO, despite the impact of the pandemic, it is still hands down the best city in Australia in which to live.

I hate the cold, the only thing that keeps me in Melbourne is footy but I'd be happy to fly in and out for that. That's the other appeal of the Gold Coast, rather than going further North for me, can still go and watch AFL footy regularly.

I haven't spent a lot of time up there in summer, but when I have the humidity seems to hit really hard. I find Bali much more pleasant even.

Reactions: 1 user

DarOv

Tiger Cub
Oct 25, 2022
Been living in QLD for the past 33 years. The only part of the Gold Coast weather that I can't stand are the months of continuous winter blue skies when we get El Nino. Sounds weird but I love the rain and storms.
It's better than the constant heat! :LOL:

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Which would be exactly what we would want I think.

It's a hard situation, it's a bit like the fans v TV situation where you have a football department and a commercial reality.

I'm sure Hardwick would want Gold Coast, North, GWS, Port and Fremantle at the MCG but Brendan Gale wouldn't want any of them as home games.

Ultimately, as with the fans vs TV, the commercial reality will generally win out.
I recall u have posted about this very topic in the past, as frustrating as it is playing away games v Norf, Saints, Port & Suns every yr none of them would draw huge crowds at the 'G & we want to get back to #1 in that dept. next yr which means we'll want the bigger games at home & as many of them as possible.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I recall u have posted about this very topic in the past, as frustrating as it is playing away games v Norf, Saints, Port & Suns every yr none of them would draw huge crowds at the 'G & we want to get back to #1 in that dept. next yr which means we'll want the bigger games at home & as many of them as possible.

Exactly, those games will make either a loss or little money at the MCG.

Next year we already have round 1 v Carlton as a home game and it's our turn for Dreamtime at the G. That means we only have 9 more remaining, so we are going to want games who will draw like Collingwood, Geelong. When we play an interstate team we would rather one that draws better in Melbourne like Sydney or Brisbane.

Conversely there are a lot of Richmond supporters around Australia so a team like Gold Coast will draw their biggest crowd with us and will request us as their first priority after a state derby. So will Port, Freo and GWS. And every other team will have us in their priorities as well.l

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I understand the calculations, and if we play teams like North, Port etc away, sure, we play them at their home grounds.

What really grates is having a home game at Chernobyl. It ain't our home ground, the MCG is, and has been for 57 years.

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I did a predictor for our double up games based on AFL draws from previous years.

I reckon as we finished 7th we will probably get put in with 4th, 5th & 6th and have two teams outside the eight for our double up games.

So my phantom draw for who we should see twice is - Collingwood, Fremantle, Brisbane, Port and the Hawks, everyone else once.

Our five interstate games to be Fremantle, Brisbane, Port and I'm going with Giants in Sydney for the Taranto and Hopper to play up there against their old team. And the fifth game just a guess West Coast away but hoping for the Gold Coast lol :D

A draw like that wouldn't be too bad aye? :unsure:

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I could never live in QLD. The humidity in summer would drive me insane. Winter is SE QLD is sensational but I actually don't mind cold weather so Melbourne's climate is okay by me. Let's face it by northern hemisphere standards our winters are a long way from cold. Plus I like the fact that we actually have four seasons (sometimes all in one day!).

I have lived in Sydney and spent a lot of time in all major cities in Australia. Melbourne is far from perfect but IMHO, despite the impact of the pandemic, it is still hands down the best city in Australia in which to live.
Brisbane is not my favourite place, the Coastal areas' are pretty good I think - Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast are a little bit cooler.
Lived in Brisbane four years, that was too humid October- March.
First day I walked to work, 20 minutes and had my second shower in an hour!!
So then learnt to catch the bus in and walk back home for that second shower.
Feel sorry for outside workers, mechanics and stuff, I couldn't do it up there, lucky I'm a desk jock!! :LOL:

A couple of weeks in a guy, we'll call him Ian cause that's his name ;) went out during lunchtime in December, and when he came back 20 minutes later his back was absolutely drenched!! I said 'Where did U go man?", and he said he went to the Post Office about 800 metres up the road!! So I learnt to stay indoors most of the day and coffee and food shop downstairs before the walk home at 5-6pm.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I understand the calculations, and if we play teams like North, Port etc away, sure, we play them at their home grounds.

What really grates is having a home game at Chernobyl. It ain't our home ground, the MCG is, and has been for 57 years.

DS
This grinds my gears also, especially when it's against a Marvel team. It's due to the AFL contract tho so unfortunately we have to do it even tho we all hate it.

• Sad

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
This grinds my gears also, especially when it's against a Marvel team. It's due to the AFL contract tho so unfortunately we have to do it even tho we all hate it.

Reality is, Marvel is a great option to host a game against a low drawing team.

The MCG can't carry all the workload or the surface will suffer and now the AFL own Marvel the financial result would be much better.

As a club, we need to stop whinging about Marvel, embrace it as a second home and try and create some advantage there.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
This is something I don’t understand and nobody has properly explained I believe. I understood when the stadium was privately owned that the AFL had a contract with them to play X number of games and X number of times every team had to play there. But the AFL now owns the stadium but that line keeps getting trotted out. Does the AFL have a contract with itself that it negotiates with itself then threatens itself if it’s not honoured, because it has a contract to play games there?
Can someone please explain the details of it to me

• Haha

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'll bet you my left nut that we will play the host team during Magic Round.

In other words, if MR is in Sydney, we will play either the Swans or Giants. If its in Adelaide, we will play the Power or Crows.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Reality is, Marvel is a great option to host a game against a low drawing team.

The MCG can't carry all the workload or the surface will suffer and now the AFL own Marvel the financial result would be much better.

As a club, we need to stop whinging about Marvel, embrace it as a second home and try and create some advantage there.
MCG is our home ground, if it cant carry the workload, eff off all the teams that decided to use Docklands as their home ground`

Reactions: 4 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
I did a predictor for our double up games based on AFL draws from previous years.

I reckon as we finished 7th we will probably get put in with 4th, 5th & 6th and have two teams outside the eight for our double up games.

So my phantom draw for who we should see twice is - Collingwood, Fremantle, Brisbane, Port and the Hawks, everyone else once.

Our five interstate games to be Fremantle, Brisbane, Port and I'm going with Giants in Sydney for the Taranto and Hopper to play up there against their old team. And the fifth game just a guess West Coast away but hoping for the Gold Coast lol :D

A draw like that wouldn't be too bad aye? :unsure:
Riceman, wit the introduction of the Magic Round, presumably in April at Adelaide, it's the case there will be an additional match to include., being 23 matches for each team.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
That's 3 double-up teams from the top 6 of 2022, 1 from the middle 6 and 1 from the bottom 6.

With a 22 round fixture the rules were 1 or 2 double-up teams from the top and bottom 6 groups and 2 or 3 double-ups against middle 6 finishers. With 23 rounds I imagine you could add one more double-up team to one of those three groups.

$0.02

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
This is something I don’t understand and nobody has properly explained I believe. I understood when the stadium was privately owned that the AFL had a contract with them to play X number of games and X number of times every team had to play there. But the AFL now owns the stadium but that line keeps getting trotted out. Does the AFL have a contract with itself that it negotiates with itself then threatens itself if it’s not honoured, because it has a contract to play games there?
Can someone please explain the details of it to me

I would imagine the AFL would have agreements with the various tenderers at Docklands for catering, security, merchandise etc etc and there would be levels of events required.

They've probably still got some deals they inherited but also have to make the future contracts commercially viable by providing enough games.

MCG is our home ground, if it cant carry the workload, eff off all the teams that decided to use Docklands as their home ground`

I've got no doubt our coach has a similar mindset about it as you, but that's not helping us when we have to play there and get beat by woeful teams.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
If they made the deal then they play home games there, regardless of anticipated crowd size. Us, Pies, Melbourne should play all our home games at the G. Hawthorn and #lolnorf split theirs between the G for Hawthorn, Marvel for #lolnorf and Tassie for both. And yes, Geecheat can play all their home games at the bowling alley.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Living in Port Douglas is wonderful, but it does get very humid in the buildups during wet season. I could never live back in Geelong (where I grew up) and even SE Qld winters would feel cold to me now.
Hanging out at the Iron Bar Hotel betting on the Toad Races??

Port Douglas is a Damn Tough Gig Dave.

You dont sell the pineapple and coconut on the beach do ya ??:))