DRAW 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DRAW 2023

davidc0055

Tiger Matchwinner
May 23, 2011
Hanging out at the Iron Bar Hotel betting on the Toad Races??

Port Douglas is a Damn Tough Gig Dave.

You dont sell the pineapple and coconut on the beach do ya ??:))
I don't hang out at the Iron Bar, Craig, unless I want to bump into students all night. But if you don't mind the wet season, it's a great place to live.

Reactions: 1 user

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
That's 3 double-up teams from the top 6 of 2022, 1 from the middle 6 and 1 from the bottom 6.

With a 22 round fixture the rules were 1 or 2 double-up teams from the top and bottom 6 groups and 2 or 3 double-ups against middle 6 finishers. With 23 rounds I imagine you could add one more double-up team to one of those three groups.

$0.02
"Teams in the top six, middle six and bottom six can double-up against teams in their matching bracket up to three times.
A middle six team doubles-up against no more than two top six teams, and the same rule applies with middle six teams against bottom six teams.
The elimination final winners get counted as part of the top six, even if they didn’t finish in the top six in the home and away season.

How much does this matter? Well, 13 has been a lucky number in recent seasons - the teams that finished 13th in 2016 (Richmond), 2017 (Collingwood), 2018 (Western Bulldogs) and 2020 (Essendon) all played finals a year later, the first two making the Grand Final.
This is partially down to their fixture, which attempted to ensure they would not have as many repeat match-ups against the best teams of the season just gone."

I would imagine it would go 2, 2 and 2 in each of the three groups, but I can see the AFL making it something like 3, 2 and 1 so they get more games between teams evenly matched on the ladder. Reckon they would do that because there's no point having a magic round if you're playing Geelong v Roos, Richmond v Hawks, Sydney v Saints for example.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
I would imagine it would go 2, 2 and 2 in each of the three groups, but I can see the AFL making it something like 3, 2 and 1 so they get more games between teams evenly matched on the ladder. Reckon they would do that because there's no point having a magic round if you're playing Geelong v Roos, Richmond v Hawks, Sydney v Saints for example.
3, 2 and 1 is probably closer to the intentions driving the original rules. 4, 1 and 1 might also be a reasonable option but 4, 2 and 0 would be a bit too skewed for the middle six finishers.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
3, 2 and 1 is probably closer to the intentions driving the original rules. 4, 1 and 1 might also be a reasonable option but 4, 2 and 0 would be a bit too skewed for the middle six finishers.
I would probably go to Adelaide and see it if the draw had a few good games. If you're giving me Geelong v Lions, Melb v Freo, Sydney v Pies, Richmond v Port, Dogs v Saints, Carl v Ess, Suns v Giants, Hawks v Nawf, Adel v WCE then there's a few I'd probably get tickets too.

I went to the NRL Magic Round's last year and this year so it was pretty good in the way that if it was between two sides lower ranked or not a drawcard team/game, you could pick and select like I'm not going to this game but going to the next one, etc.

Friday we didn't go to the 6pm Canterbury (12) v Knights (14) game but got there for the 8.00pm Manly (11) v Broncos (9) game.
Saturday we skipped the Warriors (15) v Rabbitohs (7) at 3pm, but we saw the 5.30pm Titans (13) v Dragons (10) and the Storm (5) v Panthers (1) at 7.45pm.
Sunday we made the 1.50pm Sharks (2) v Raiders (8), the 4.00pm game Roosters (6) v Eels (4) and then we left and skipped the Wests Tigers (16) v Cowboys (3).

Our game takes nearly an hour longer between the start and the finish, so we need to spread it out longer than they do.

For AFL the first Friday game would have to be around 5pm, finishes around 7.40pm, then say 8.20-8.30pm for the next game to start (all Adelaide times).

Saturday's three games at 1.10pm finishes 3.50, second game starts at 4.30 finishes 7.10 and the 3rd game starts at 7.50pm finishes at 10.20pm.
Sunday probably start a little earlier due to it being Sunday letting people go home earlier - a 12.10pm start, 3.30pm start and 7.00pm start ending about 9.30pm.

That would be pretty awesome to be honest (y)

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
My comments are more about the overall composition of the 2023 fixture. To my mind, the Magic Round is just an extra round in the home and away fixture. Who plays who and where in that particular round has little bearing on the ease or dificulty facing teams in the lead-up to the finals next year.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It will be an interesting fixture as the really big drawing games in Melbourne, like Ess v Carlton cited above, will likely not feature so they don't lose the big crowd in Melbourne. They will be balancing many things to sort this out.

Still not crazy about the idea, would prefer to use this idea for supporting the grass roots of the game.

DS

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Our game takes nearly an hour longer between the start and the finish, so we need to spread it out longer than they do.

Probably a good time to push an old agenda of mine… cutting quarters to 18 minutes, half time to 12 minutes and shortening the running time of games from about 2:35 to 2:10.

Magic round is logistically much more difficult to run due to the longer running time of AFL games, compared to NRL that has a running time of about 1:35. There is no way you could play 4 games consecutively on a single day in the same stadium with a running time of 2:35.

Additionally, an extra game each will add to wear, tear and exhaustion of players and has the potential to decrease the quality of the finals series.

An extra game also makes the season drag on for even longer for teams that are out of finals contention and will increase the likelihood of meaningless junk times over the last 2 months of the season. This is why I have long endorsed the shortening of the season, not lengthening it.

Reactions: 2 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Are they sending us to Krapdinia Park in 2023 to complete the Fu**ery?

You just know that wanker Hocking is working on that with his contacts behind the scene's Craigo !

*smile* I hate him...and Scott...and Hocking...and the other Scott...and Hocking...and Dangerfield...and Hocking....and Cameron...and Hocking...and Stewart...and...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
After Benny Gale refused to move the AFLW semi-final, I’ll bet you my left but we get punished for this. We’ll probably play Geelong in Geelong or an Adelaide team for magic round.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
After Benny Gale refused to move the AFLW semi-final, I’ll bet you my left but we get punished for this. We’ll probably play Geelong in Geelong or an Adelaide team for magic round.
I fully expect that we'll play Port in the Mephisto Round :cool:

• Haha

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I don't follow the logic of people who on one hand say of course the free agents choose us, they want the big crowds and the big games and then on the other hand complain because we might get one of the two biggest game in the biggest round of the year.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Is that inside word? It would be a strange decision I think, the showdowns already sell out and have the entire state focussed in the build-up. In magic round the focus will be hugely diluted.

Having the two SA teams playing a big Victorian team guarantees two sell outs. A showdown guarantees one. Would they sell out a Bulldogs v Norf? No. But they will sell out a Crows v Norf and Port v Bulldogs. That's why I reckon it won't be a showdown. It's about the $$