DRAW 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DRAW 2023

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
By allowing more teams to play Finals we'd only be rewarding mediocrity. As it is there are hardly 8 Finals worthy teams each yr as it is....

Reactions: 4 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The logical course for me is to get to 20 teams and play a 19 round season with a split round bye system to push it to 21 or 22 weeks.

Have a wildcard first week of finals for teams 7-10 while the top 6 get a break and then play the normal top 8 system.
The top sentence is how i reckon it'll end up. The bottom for mine is a no.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
By allowing more teams to play Finals we'd only be rewarding mediocrity. As it is there are hardly 8 Finals worthy teams each yr as it is....
Yep should be a final 6 from 18 teams. Best 33% of the comp, if Gilligan n the suits at HQ thought they could somehow get away with it. They'd have a 22 round season to establish a pecking order n then all 18 teams playing some kind of knock out format until last team standing wins the flag.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Round 1, 2023

Thursday, March 16
Richmond v Carlton, MCG, 7.20pm AEDT, Seven

Friday, March 17
Geelong v Collingwood, MCG, 7.40pm AEDT, Seven

Saturday, March 18
North Melbourne v West Coast, Marvel Stadium, 1.45pm AEDT, Fox
Port Adelaide v Brisbane, Adelaide Oval, 4.05pm ACDT, Fox
Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, MCG, 7.25pm AEDT, Seven
Gold Coast v Sydney, Metricon Stadium, 7.00pm AEST, Fox

Sunday, March 19
Greater Western Sydney v Adelaide, Giants Stadium, 1.10pm AEDT, Fox
Hawthorn v Essendon, MCG, 3.20pm AEDT, Seven
St Kilda v Fremantle, Marvel Stadium, 4.40pm AEDT, Fox

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
AFL embarrassed themselves dropping the Round 1 fixture whilst the Australian national team was about to play one of the biggest game this country has seen.

They sure do have insecurity problems down at City Hall.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
AFL embarrassed themselves dropping the Round 1 fixture whilst the Australian national team was about to play one of the biggest game this country has seen.

Surely another coincidence..?

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
confidence-is-silent-insecurities-are-loud-the-r-esome-quotes-31640550.png

DS

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

Just stupid.
They could have easily waited till tonight if they wanted to steal some thunder anyway- it would have been more effective in trying to move the 'news cycle' back to the AFL. Instead it has been buried by World Cup talk anyway.

Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Surely another coincidence..?

The AFL are known for drip feeding tidbits of the draw before its fully released. If they didn’t deliberately release R1 to coincide with the Socceroos, why haven’t we heard more tidbits today?

I’m getting a bit tired of waiting as I wanna start planning around next years fixture. Its usually released the last week of October. Why the change?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Whether they did it deliberately or not who knows but to me it is not a big deal. Not sure why people can’t watch a World Cup match and read a round 1 AFL fixture on the same day?

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
You just know that wanker Hocking is working on that with his contacts behind the scene's Craigo !

*smile* I hate him...and Scott...and Hocking...and the other Scott...and Hocking...and Dangerfield...and Hocking....and Cameron...and Hocking...and Stewart...and...
You forgot Duckwood!

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Whether they did it deliberately or not who knows but to me it is not a big deal. Not sure why people can’t watch a World Cup match and read a round 1 AFL fixture on the same day?

They definitely did it deliberately, wouldn't be too many press releases out at 6am on a Sunday.

Personally, I love it. *smile* soccer and all it stands for. Where I am the biggest challenge in trying to get kids into footy is prising them away from soccer. Everything the AFL can do to battle them at every opportunity they should.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Oh come on Sin. Of course it was done deliberately. What you think its common practice to release the fixture at 6am?

You are also missing the point on the issue around the timing of it all.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
They definitely did it deliberately, wouldn't be too many press releases out at 6am on a Sunday.

Personally, I love it. *smile* soccer and all it stands for. Where I am the biggest challenge in trying to get kids into footy is prising them away from soccer. Everything the AFL can do to battle them at every opportunity they should.
Ok Gill.

• Haha

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I think you may have been to too many of Gills brainwashing seminars

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I think you may have been to too many of Gills brainwashing seminars

It's got nothing to do with Gill, it's about the strength of our game.

I hate soccer but it is a threat to the success of Australian Rules. A direct competitor for participants, government funding, community facilities, media coverage and so on.

Anything good for soccer is bad for Australian Rules.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

I can kinda get that sentiment, but the idea that releasing rd 1 at 6am, whilst the Socceroos were playing a huge match would draw any sort of publicity away from the world cup is ridiculous, and doesnt reflect well on whoever thought it would be a good idea.

Reactions: 3 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I can kinda get that sentiment, but the idea that releasing rd 1 at 6am, whilst the Socceroos were playing a huge match would draw any sort of publicity away from the world cup is ridiculous, and doesnt reflect well on whoever thought it would be a good idea.

I see it more as a *smile* take than a serious effort to draw attention, but indisputably at what was apparently a big moment for soccer it had people thinking about the AFL.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Oh come on Sin. Of course it was done deliberately. What you think its common practice to release the fixture at 6am?

You are also missing the point on the issue around the timing of it all.
Maybe it was but who cares?

I watched the Socceroos game and also looked at the round 1 fixture and probably plenty of others did as well

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Maybe it was but who cares?

I watched the Socceroos game and also looked at the round 1 fixture and probably plenty of others did as well
Yeah, not sure what the big deal is. It's only R1. If it was the whole season fixture, yeah maybe.