Drug Discussion (Split from Stokes Thread) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Drug Discussion (Split from Stokes Thread)

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
People have to be allowed their vices. It comes down to risk management I guess. Alcohol in moderation usually presents no problems. Some even say that alcohol in moderation is healthy for you. As others on here have asked, what is a safe level of usage of drugs such as ice, cocaine, heroin, etc? But as I've said here before, I'm open to having a trial. Let's pick a regional town or city where there's already a drug related crime problem and we simply give the drugs away. Free to whoever wants it. As long as it's consumed within the city limits. And see what happens.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Very good editorial from the Age.

Sad that facts and common sense seem to scare some people so much.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
lamb22 said:
Very good editorial from the Age.

Sad that facts and common sense seem to scare some people so much.

Two words seemingly overlooked. Personal responsibility.
Pretty good article though. I've softened my stance on this issue over the years.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Tigers of Old said:
Two words seemingly overlooked. Personal responsibility.

Are you kidding me?

Remove the nanny state and it's all about personal responsibility.

When you prohibit someone from doing something you remove choice and personal responsibility.

Edit: Seen your edit. Peace!

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
1eyedtiger said:
People have to be allowed their vices. It comes down to risk management I guess. Alcohol in moderation usually presents no problems. Some even say that alcohol in moderation is healthy for you. As others on here have asked, what is a safe level of usage of drugs such as ice, cocaine, heroin, etc? But as I've said here before, I'm open to having a trial. Let's pick a regional town or city where there's already a drug related crime problem and we simply give the drugs away. Free to whoever wants it. As long as it's consumed within the city limits. And see what happens.
Free drugs? What's the point of that? There's no need for trials, drug consumption should simply be decriminalised period. This is not a question of utility, it is a moral issue.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Giardiasis said:
Free drugs? What's the point of that?

I see. The only reason people take drugs is so they can pay for them. Interesting. I thought part of the argument for legalizing drugs was to reduce the cost and thereby reducing crime. Well, why not just give them away for free? Crime problem solved or so I'm being told around here.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
1eyedtiger said:
I see. The only reason people take drugs is so they can pay for them. Interesting. I thought part of the argument for legalizing drugs was to reduce the cost and thereby reducing crime. Well, why not just give them away for free? Crime problem solved or so I'm being told around here.
Because they wouldn't be free, someone else would have to pay for it. Who are you going to rob to pay for it? Remember the only argument that matters is the moral one.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Yeah, the taxpayer would pay for it. But imagine the savings when all the drug dealers have to leave town because there's no longer any money in it for them. Imagine the savings the police force would make not having to investigate drug crimes anymore. And if the government was smart, they'd own the drug manufacturing plants to reduce costs even further and not be held to ransom by pharmaceutical companies like we are for other drugs. And then there's the savings to society in general. No more victims of drug related crime. Maybe we can feel safe again. You can't put a price on that. I really don't see what the problem is. Part of the argument is that legalization would make drugs cheaper and reduce thefts, murders, etc for drug money and when I offer the drugs for free, you still argue. And according to some on here, drug usage would not increase as a result of cheaper drugs so there's no issue of the entire population sitting around off our heads. And even if we were, we can always import some 457 visa workers to do our jobs for us or simply send the work offshore entirely. You see, it's all been taken care of. Relax. Chill out for a bit.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Precisely. Can't be trusted to do the right thing in an altered state.

Exhibit A on display in the Melbourne CBD. If I'm taking responsibility for dead druggies not getting their legitimacy through legalisation, this one's on the pro-drug lot.

You fools.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Exhibit A on display in the Melbourne CBD. If I'm taking responsibility for dead druggies not getting their legitimacy through legalisation, this one's on the pro-drug lot.

You fools.

Could you express that again but this time in English?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
1eyedtiger said:
Have any of the people who suffered overdoses on the weekend been pursued by police on possession charges? If not, how would 'decriminalization' help? People are currently free to seek medical help for drug overdoses if they need it without fear of prosecution, Yes, no?
Decriminalisation would allow for testing of drugs to determine their safety, so we don't have a repeat of last week's totally preventable deaths. Daniel Andrews says testing would 'normalise' drug use - wake up, Daniel, it's been normalised for a long time. This is a public health issue.

1eyedtiger said:
And according to some on here, drug usage would not increase as a result of cheaper drugs so there's no issue of the entire population sitting around off our heads. And even if we were, we can always import some 457 visa workers to do our jobs for us or simply send the work offshore entirely. You see, it's all been taken care of. Relax. Chill out for a bit.
We'll all lose our jobs to automation soon enough, then we can spend our Universal Basic Income on getting whacked off our gourds while the machines handle things.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

You fools.
I'm betting a drug dealer off his head on ice. Ice is a scourge.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Vince Colosimo $1K fine and no conviction. What a pathetic example to set.

Makes a bit of a mockery of concerns by those who want drugs legalised in regard to personal users having criminal records.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

You fools.
Exhibit A is your system at play. You fool.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
rosy3 said:
Makes a bit of a mockery of concerns by those who want drugs legalised in regard to personal users having criminal records.

Interesting. So you know definitively that everyone who faces court charged with possession in Australia escapes conviction?