Drug Discussion (Split from Stokes Thread) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Drug Discussion (Split from Stokes Thread)

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I see that Dan Andrews has not allowed the trial for safe injecting houses.

I for one was happy to have the trial, subject to all injectors having themselves identified to the law in case they used crime to feed their drug habit. If it can save lives, make it easier for professionals who deal with this on a daily basis than that needs to be considered.

I really thought Andrews would come at this.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
MB78 said:
I see that Dan Andrews has not allowed the trial for safe injecting houses.

I for one was happy to have the trial, subject to all injectors having themselves identified to the law in case they used crime to feed their drug habit. If it can save lives, make it easier for professionals who deal with this on a daily basis than that needs to be considered.

I really thought Andrews would come at this.

he has a very conservative attitude towards drugs for someone who is trying to portray himself as a progressive premier. Fiona Patten on the other hand. She's very impressive.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Ian4 said:
he has a very conservative attitude towards drugs for someone who is trying to portray himself as a progressive premier. Fiona Patten on the other hand. She's very impressive.

But is it Andrews personal attitude or the fact that its a highly political issue.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
IanG said:
But is it Andrews personal attitude or the fact that its a highly political issue.

Strange question, that gives a party leader an out on any issue.

He leads the party and as Ian says, Andrews is far from the progressive he tries to make out,

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Ian4's gonna love this.

Police to get new ‘stop and search’ powers to stamp out drugs at dance festivals

A ZERO-tolerance crackdown on drug-riddled dance festivals will give police the power to stop and search any patron without reason.

The radical overhaul aims to stamp out the illicit drug use that has caused a spate of deaths and mass overdoses in recent years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/police-to-get-new-stop-and-search-powers-to-stamp-out-drugs-at-dance-festivals/news-story/989cf21eaaed485ca5c0c81c85aed3ba (paywalled)

Even Dan The Myopic Man can see the cause and effect.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Ian4's gonna love this.

Police to get new ‘stop and search’ powers to stamp out drugs at dance festivals

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/police-to-get-new-stop-and-search-powers-to-stamp-out-drugs-at-dance-festivals/news-story/989cf21eaaed485ca5c0c81c85aed3ba (paywalled)

So long as they set up in the foyer of investment banks, venture capital funds, government offices and legal firms, etc. all is fair.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Ian4's gonna love this.

yeah I'm absolutely fuming about this. once again Dan Andrews is showing he is not as progressive as he makes out to be. as someone who has been to many "bush doofs" I can assure you that these "stop and search" powers is gonna create more overdoses, not less.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Ian4's gonna love this.

Fantastic idea. This grand plan should stamp out all drug use at festivals in a few weeks max!

Surprised the solution to drug use in society was this easy, should have done it years ago. Anyway, being sniffed up by dogs and body searched by police officers is a small price to pay for going to a festival right? Lee should probably think twice about carrying that concealed knife though, could be awkward.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Ian4's gonna love this.

For those of us who can't read it what are the new powers?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
rosy3 said:
For those of us who can't read it what are the new powers?

I believe it's giving police powers to stop and search anyone without grounds for suspicion.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
antman said:
I believe it's giving police powers to stop and search anyone without grounds for suspicion.

I'd have no objections to that if it helped save kids overdosing. If it came in I'd like to see it combined with education. There have been a heap of ods from allegedly dodgy batches this year.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ian4 said:
that's the problem. this will have the opposite affect.

More fool those who do. Something needs to be done to stop the distribution of bad drugs at concerts. If a dealer wants to swallow their whole stash good luck to them.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ian4 said:
if you take the criminal element out of them you won't get bad batches.

Who knows. There will always be a dodgy underworld element. Cheaper drugs. More potent drugs. Different effect drugs. There's still a good market for chop chop despite tobacco being legal. I doubt this search law, not that I know exactly what it is yet, is about criminalising users.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
Spend the money put into law enforcement on educating children on the pitfalls of drugs from an early age.
Remove the market at the grassroots.

Yep. Also warnings on concert tickets or at the venues etc about the risks...although those running the events probably benefit by welcoming a drug culture.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
rosy3 said:
There's still a good market for chop chop despite tobacco being legal.

that's because tobacco is too expensive. I've been a social smoker for most of my adult life (recently quit). last year I bought a carton duty free at Dubai which cost less than 1 pack in Australia.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Ian4 said:
that's because tobacco is too expensive. I've been a social smoker for most of my adult life (recently quit). last year I bought a carton duty free at Dubai which cost less than 1 pack in Australia.

If you legalize drugs, do you think that the same thing would happen, that they'll become too expensive? And without another source like Dubai, people will once again turn to the criminal element for supply. If that happens, the government will be forced to lower the price of the legalized drugs to make them more accessible. How ironic.