• If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.

Dustin Martin’s bikie dad claims Aboriginal heritage in bid to return (HS)

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Spook, the decision asserts that spiritual and cultural values are genetically determined. You can't rail against religion and support this hoochie cooch without losing all credibility. Come on pal.
I don't think it does. To me it asserts that 4000 generations trumps one. It's not about race or genetics, it's about connection to place.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
They have legislated that Aboriginal people have "a special spiritual, cultural and religious connection" with Australia that the rest of us don't have. It is superstition and voodoo and does not belong in the 21st century.

It elevates race above citizenship and undermines the principle of equality. I will come back to it when it inevitably mushrooms into something far more sinister.
It’s not legislative it’s constitutional and therefore it can’t mushroom to anything apart from how it relates to aboriginal people born outside Australia. What you don’t understand (call it voodoo or whatever you want to) is that to say an indigenous person is not Australian or from the Australian land is not something that they can understand in their culture.

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Still waiting for someone to explain to me how an Australian Aboriginal can be an alien in Australia and therefore subject to the alien power under the constitution.

To claim that Australian Aborigines are alien to Australia would be like saying there was no-one here when the First Fleet arrived . . . oh s*** we did actually claim that fiction for a couple of hundred years didn't we.

DS

fastin bulbous

I Dig Syd
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Still waiting for someone to explain to me how an Australian Aboriginal can be an alien in Australia and therefore subject to the alien power under the constitution.

To claim that Australian Aborigines are alien to Australia would be like saying there was no-one here when the First Fleet arrived . . . oh s*** we did actually claim that fiction for a couple of hundred years didn't we.

DS
It’s simple David. We can alienate aboriginal people in their own country but not overseas. Seems reasonable to me, just business as usual. I’m so sick of those over privileged black fellas not towing the line. Special treatment, money for nothing, just sitting back Reviewing their investment portfolios and stomping on the oppressed white man.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Thought we were all just Africans n then got lost wandering around the neighborhood.

Reactions: 1 user

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Can see why he cant watch his son play a few games a year. Its not like he would vanish into thin air and not return home, nor would be be seen anywhere near organised crime gangs/bikeies. Dutton has it in for him. We seem to be FAR more lenient on many others running riot here in Australia at the moment.

DavidSSS

Tiger Superstar
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It isn’t complex. If you’re born overseas and are not an Australian citizen, you’re a citizen of a foreign country and are therefore not Australian.
It's not that simple and you know it.

Christmas Island is part of Australia, I bet the kids born there aren't Australian citizens. Plenty of Australian citizens have kids overseas and they are Australian citizens.

DS

MD Jazz

Tiger Champion
Feb 3, 2017
They have legislated that Aboriginal people have "a special spiritual, cultural and religious connection" with Australia that the rest of us don't have. It is superstition and voodoo and does not belong in the 21st century.

It elevates race above citizenship and undermines the principle of equality. I will come back to it when it inevitably mushrooms into something far more sinister.
This is where a little empathy and understanding should come in LTRTR. I've attended a couple of smoke ceremonies recently (one to open the school year at kids primary school) and to call the cultural and spiritual connection of aboriginals to the land as superstition and voodoo is ignorant and disrespectful. To listen to the elder speak for 20 odd minutes about the land we were on and his tribes connection to it was pretty compelling.

I'm glad my children are very much more aware of a more complete history of Aust as it will provide for much better relationships between indigenous and non-indigenous Aust in the next generations.

You can't expect equality to magically occur overnight.

Reactions: 7 users

fastin bulbous

I Dig Syd
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Aboriginals learn those tribal traditions and oral histories, they are not transferred by blood. Hence the reference to "superstition and voodoo".

How would you know this ltrtr? You cannot even conceive of anything not backed up by your narrow view. Having lived and worked with aboriginal communities for 20 years I dispute your statement wholeheartedly. It is a great sadness to me that us whities continue to deny the existence of other realities because we cannot measure them.

22nd Man

Tiger Champion
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Every judge had a different perspective and as such I don't believe they should be empowered to insinuate such a weak consensus of liberal interpretations of the constitution upon the nation. Canberra Times referred to it as a "historic decision with enormous implications for Australian nationhood". I'm happy to wager any amount that it will serve as a legal precedent.

No I don't understand what you're saying about Aboriginal culture, nor do I see how it is relevant. Just like I wouldn't expect an Aboriginal to necessarily understand or accept one judge's (Nettle) assertion that Aboriginals owe permanent allegiance to the Crown.

This really belongs in a separate thread.
Maybe let 4 out of every 7 aplicants in?
Best ever 4-3 High Court call was stopping the Franklin Dam.

antman

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Put it down to Dutton's Discretion - au pairs for rich mates of Dutton come on in!!! Tattooed ex bikers out!!!