Dustin Martin Re-signs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin Re-signs

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
8,201
1,072
Shane Martin book on why Dusty re-signed with Richmond
Jain Bednall
www.news.com.au/sport/afl/shane-martin-book-on-why-dusty-resigned-with-richmond/news-story/02f28f88c869fd303f61afa295c1d708


A new book written by Dustin Martin’s exiled bikie father offers new insights into Richmond’s attempt to lock up the AFL superstar.
It was Sunday, August 27, 2017. At the MCG, Dustin Martin was putting the finishing touches on his Brownlow Medal-winning season with a three vote performance against St Kilda.
Unbeknown to all but a few key Richmond people, Tigers football boss Neil Balme was on a secret mission in New Zealand hoping to meet with his star onballer’s father Shane.
Balme was desperate to retain his club’s best player and hoped a face-to-face meeting with his father might help Richmond’s cause despite North Melbourne offering more money.
And Shane Martin? “I was on the *smile*,” he writes, in a new book called A Rebel in Exile that tells the story of his battle to return to Australia after being deported, but also includes his perspective on all the major moments of his son’s football career.
“This is going to sound like I was choosing getting on the booze over this huge decision, but it wasn’t like that at all,” Martin adds. “Like millions of people around the world I had settled in to enjoy the boxing (Floyd Mayweather’s fight against Conor McGregor).
“Given more notice, I would have had Neil around home in a heartbeat, but I wasn’t going to a meeting like that half-cut. That would be crazy.”
So Balme was forced to return to Melbourne without securing a sit-down and left hoping loyalty would be enough.
Dustin Martin made the same trip soon after, after admitting to his father “this contract stuff is doing my head in”. Dustin, Shane, and Dustin’s manager Ralph Carr met at the Sebel in Auckland and broke down the competing offers on a whiteboard.
“At the end of the day, North Melbourne were offering $12 million over seven years and Richmond were offering just under $10 million, which itself was a long way up from the $800,000 a year for four years they had originally offered,” Shane reveals.
“We were going back and forth to each club. North Melbourne pretty much had a blank cheque but Richmond couldn’t move. They simply didn’t have the money. We knew that and we appreciated that it didn’t mean they weren’t desperately keen to keep him.
“People have asked me what side I was on and my answer is always the same: I was on Dusty’s side … in the end, Dusty couldn’t leave Richmond, and he turned his back on the richest contract offer in AFL history. I was proud of his decision.”
 

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
50,065
1,909
Bullarto Tiger said:
Shane Martin book on why Dusty re-signed with Richmond
Jain Bednall
www.news.com.au/sport/afl/shane-martin-book-on-why-dusty-resigned-with-richmond/news-story/02f28f88c869fd303f61afa295c1d708


A new book written by Dustin Martin’s exiled bikie father offers new insights into Richmond’s attempt to lock up the AFL superstar.
It was Sunday, August 27, 2017. At the MCG, Dustin Martin was putting the finishing touches on his Brownlow Medal-winning season with a three vote performance against St Kilda.
Unbeknown to all but a few key Richmond people, Tigers football boss Neil Balme was on a secret mission in New Zealand hoping to meet with his star onballer’s father Shane.
Balme was desperate to retain his club’s best player and hoped a face-to-face meeting with his father might help Richmond’s cause despite North Melbourne offering more money.
And Shane Martin? “I was on the p!ss,” he writes, in a new book called A Rebel in Exile that tells the story of his battle to return to Australia after being deported, but also includes his perspective on all the major moments of his son’s football career.
“This is going to sound like I was choosing getting on the booze over this huge decision, but it wasn’t like that at all,” Martin adds. “Like millions of people around the world I had settled in to enjoy the boxing (Floyd Mayweather’s fight against Conor McGregor).
“Given more notice, I would have had Neil around home in a heartbeat, but I wasn’t going to a meeting like that half-cut. That would be crazy.”
So Balme was forced to return to Melbourne without securing a sit-down and left hoping loyalty would be enough.
Dustin Martin made the same trip soon after, after admitting to his father “this contract stuff is doing my head in”. Dustin, Shane, and Dustin’s manager Ralph Carr met at the Sebel in Auckland and broke down the competing offers on a whiteboard.
“At the end of the day, North Melbourne were offering $12 million over seven years and Richmond were offering just under $10 million, which itself was a long way up from the $800,000 a year for four years they had originally offered,” Shane reveals.
“We were going back and forth to each club. North Melbourne pretty much had a blank cheque but Richmond couldn’t move. They simply didn’t have the money. We knew that and we appreciated that it didn’t mean they weren’t desperately keen to keep him.
“People have asked me what side I was on and my answer is always the same: I was on Dusty’s side … in the end, Dusty couldn’t leave Richmond, and he turned his back on the richest contract offer in AFL history. I was proud of his decision.”
You're joking.
 

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
6,347
622
Tasmania
Bullarto Tiger said:
Shane Martin book on why Dusty re-signed with Richmond
Jain Bednall
www.news.com.au/sport/afl/shane-martin-book-on-why-dusty-resigned-with-richmond/news-story/02f28f88c869fd303f61afa295c1d708

“Given more notice, I would have had Neil around home in a heartbeat, but I wasn’t going to a meeting like that half-cut. That would be crazy.”
........
“At the end of the day, North Melbourne were offering $12 million over seven years and Richmond were offering just under $10 million, which itself was a long way up from the $800,000 a year for four years they had originally offered,” Shane reveals.
Thanks Bull for posting - great read and well done Dusty.

Surely Balmy could of waited a day or two or is this what actually happened ?

Is that all we are paying him or did we increase our offer at the last minute.
 

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
19,995
1,518
year of the tiger said:
Thanks Bull for posting - great read and well done Dusty.

Surely Balmy could of waited a day or two or is this what actually happened ?

Is that all we are paying him or did we increase our offer at the last minute.
What 10m over 7 years not enough?
 

Saladin

Better to fight for something than live for nothin
Oct 1, 2003
1,339
28
TigerForce said:
You're joking.
Didnt matter, Norfs irrelevance cancelled out the $$ on offer for both Kelly and Martin.

Norf instead went and spent on polec, Tyson etc and look at them now..
 

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
22,470
988
It doesn’t make sense to me what Shane is saying. He wanted to watch the fight and got on the *smile* and he wasn’t able to meet with Balme but could’ve of if given more notice?

I wonder what notice Balmey gave? And I wonder what he thought when he wasn’t able to meet up with Shane?
 

TigerPort

Tiger Superstar
Jun 29, 2006
1,387
495
NSW
Just under $10million over 7 years works out to an average $1.4million per year.

From other reports heavily front end loaded
 
E

easy_tiger

Guest
Funny yarn.

Ive actually gotten pissed and missed a couple of negotiations.

It tends to work in your favour. ;D
 

Ripplestick

Tiger Superstar
Jan 18, 2007
1,787
84
Correct me if im wrong but my understanding was that Dusty took richmond's lower offer because the afl signed off on a third party deal between dusty and puma... thats why during certain speeches by cotch, hardwick and possibly others, they have said 'thank you puma for Dusty'. So in the end dusty got a deal close to what north were offering but got to stay at Richmond.
 

willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
14,907
217
Broken Hill
Ripplestick said:
Correct me if im wrong but my understanding was that Dusty took richmond's lower offer because the afl signed off on a third party deal between dusty and puma... thats why during certain speeches by cotch, hardwick and possibly others, they have said 'thank you puma for Dusty'. So in the end dusty got a deal close to what north were offering but got to stay at Richmond.
My understanding was our offer was around $1.1 mill p.a. and Puma topped up $300k p.a. Total of around $1.4mill p.a.
It was said he left $2.8 mill on the table compared to lolnorfs offer. He took a hefty pay cut to stay.
 

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
1,800
64
Martin stayed cause he would make double off court with the Tigers .going to north he would make no where the amount he would at the tigers..
I call it all even .
 

Dont Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 26, 2018
1,170
347
Trading off his son to make a dollar. Pathetic.
Wonder how Dusty feels about his dad talking specifics?