Dustin Martin

frangalis4eva

Tiger Superstar
Apr 11, 2009
rowville
MD Jazz said:
Some posters here should be embarrassed with their comments on Dusty back in early May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTed0zeIvSQ
Ah not really, if anything it justifies the criticism, seeing him the last couple of weeks. He was playing lazy football. Now he’s not. Just stating the facts.

St Kevin

Vlastuin 3:16
Apr 1, 2014
rokkafella said:
Ah not really, if anything it justifies the criticism, seeing him the last couple of weeks. He was playing lazy football. Now he’s not. Just stating the facts.
Agree. Not saying he was lazy though, just not as impactful as we expected or needed.

aoc1974

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 1, 2015
Great to hear (if it's a fact ) that Dusty is taking in Marlion. It again stamps his leadership credentials and the great sort of fella I've been told that he is.
Even if it doesn't work out for Marlion, it appears from afar it won't be for lack of effort on the clubs part. Long may it continue.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
rokkafella said:
Disagree. Despite the conditions Dusty was one of only 2 Tigers to record significantly lower pressure act stats than his year's average against Essendon. And only 1 tackle. Yet he played a great game. Same the previous week, significantly lower pressure act stats. I think he had been working extremely hard on his defensive side, just he wasn't in form and getting as much ball as he's used to. I still think he has core strength issues but maybe that's also improving and reflecting in his more attacking frame of mind again. We don't really know but I don't agree he's been lazy. May seem like it on the outside.

Tenacious

Tiger Champion
May 19, 2008
tigerlove said:
Disagree. Despite the conditions Dusty was one of only 2 Tigers to record significantly lower pressure act stats than his year's average against Essendon. And only 1 tackle. Yet he played a great game. Same the previous week, significantly lower pressure act stats. I think he had been working extremely hard on his defensive side, just he wasn't in form and getting as much ball as he's used to. I still think he has core strength issues but maybe that's also improving and reflecting in his more attacking frame of mind again. We don't really know but I don't agree he's been lazy. May seem like it on the outside.
There were a couple of extra tackles attempted but were paid as frees against Dusty.
3 tackles would have looked a lot better in the stats

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
bigwow said:
Must be a slow news day, herald Sun reporting a return to Puma boots coincides with return to form.
Reporting that Dusty dumped Puma searching for better from one of the other manufacturers. Thought Dusty dumped Puma 'coz they stopped making the boots he liked n didn't feel comfortable in their new styles.

YinnarTiger

Opening goal, 23 Sept 2017
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
aoc1974 said:
Great to hear (if it's a fact ) that Dusty is taking in Marlion. It again stamps his leadership credentials and the great sort of fella I've been told that he is.
Even if it doesn't work out for Marlion, it appears from afar it won't be for lack of effort on the clubs part. Long may it continue.
Michael Ramsay at afl.com said:
Pickett will spend about a week living with Martin, who himself had off-field troubles before changing his ways in recent years.
:headscratch What ways did Martin have to change?

Rob Williams

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
From 2017 Dustin Martin stamped himself as a great champion of the game. He was 25 at the time.

He got fat in 2018 but was IMO at least outstanding. Had a stinker in the PF.

In 2019 he has been a bit rusty. (Consistent with with Dimma saying we'd be slower to reach peak fitness in 2019.) But he has steadily improved from great to awesome.

In so many codes the rule is simple - it they double/triple team you you must have loose team mates nearby. Use it quickly and positively. Is this not simple? Rip it open with quick use. Get the outnumber.

So easy to coach this way. But that's not how Mr Damien Hardwick handled the matter in 2019. (Gypsy Jazz put me on to this.) Martin kept taking them on. And getting caught. Or over cooking it. It was infuriating. Nothing from the coach. Martin was clearly licensed to anything.

Dustin Martin got better at taking them on. Quarter by quarter. Game by game. And flogging them once - then twice - in a a while.

You don't want to howl on Fyfe or Clangerfield - they get no coaching. But Martin eclipses them for smarts.

The number 4 for Richmond is Dustin Martin. Get ready to be in awe.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Dyer'ere said:
From 2017 Dustin Martin stamped himself as a great champion of the game. He was 25 at the time.

In 2019 he has been a bit rusty. (Consistent with with Dimma saying we'd be slower to reach peak fitness in 2019.) But he has steadily improved from great to awesome.

In so many codes the rule is simple - it they double/triple team you you must have loose team mates nearby. Use it quickly and positively. Is this not simple? Rip it open with quick use. Get the outnumber.

So easy to coach this way. But that's not how Mr Damien Hardwick handled the matter in 2019. (Gypsy Jazz put me on to this.) Martin kept taking them on. And getting caught. Or over cooking it. It was infuriating. Nothing from the coach. Martin was clearly licensed to anything.

Dustin Martin got better at taking them on. Quarter by quarter. Game by game. And flogging them once - then twice - in a a while.

You don't want to howl on Fyfe or Clangerfield - they get no coaching. But Martin eclipses them for smarts.

Love the perspective you bring to this forum Jack.

Hope your proclamations regarding our number 4 prove to be prophetic!

Rob Williams

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Aegean Tiger said:
Love the perspective you bring to this forum Jack.

Hope your proclamations regarding our number 4 prove to be prophetic!
Thank you, Aegean.

Lesser champions like to be champions. "Dustin Martin likes to win." Mr Damien Hardwick.

Tenacious

Tiger Champion
May 19, 2008
Dyer'ere said:

Had a stinker in the PF.

I’m only picking up on this one small point from your lengthy post but Dusty was clearly playing injured in the PF.
Don’t care who made the decision for him to play or why - but his performance doesn’t deserve to be called a stinker.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Dyer'ere said:

Love it, Jack.

I reckon Dusty needs to take the first option for a while, just to remember how it feels to link up.

The dazzle dazzle jackpot orgasm plays should be a smash glass when needed vibe.

MD Jazz

Tiger Champion
Feb 3, 2017
rokkafella said:
Coming from one of the Martin critics. His good recent form justifies the criticism? It's a fact he was playing lazy football?

Embarrassing.

Jason King

Tiger Legend
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
MD Jazz said:
Coming from one of the Martin critics. His good recent form justifies the criticism? It's a fact he was playing lazy football?

Embarrassing.
A good number of posters here (even some elder members) are guilty of this. I clearly remember at contract time 2017 the absolute **** being spurted by many posters. They took the flag that Dusty brought though :hihi

MD Jazz

Tiger Champion
Feb 3, 2017
Jason King said:
A good number of posters here (even some elder members) are guilty of this. I clearly remember at contract time 2017 the absolute sh!t being spurted by many posters. They took the flag that Dusty brought though :hihi
Its amazing a couple of "average" performances (by his standards) from the champ and he's an overrated, overpaid lazy footballer.

Dont Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 26, 2018
I actually find it extraordinary that some posters here can't accept that Dusty was playing well below par, by his lofty standards, regardless of why.
Well, its obvious by the stats. Hes back!!

Secret behind Dusty’s form turnaround

Kate Salemme,
Herald Sun
May 30, 2019

Dustin Martin has recaptured the form that saw him become the AFL’s best player in 2017 over the past two weeks as Richmond has roared back in premiership calculations.

So what’s the secret behind his form turnaround?

What’s old is new again — Martin has switched back to his old Puma EvoPower boots, the boots that he won the Brownlow Medal, North Smith Medal and premiership in two years ago, after short stints in Nike and adidas.

The Richmond superstar famously split with sponsor Puma in April, just one year into a new four-year deal with the company.

He’s been on the lookout for new boots ever since, trialling Nike’s Phantom VNM Elite boots before giving adidas’s Copa 19.1 a crack.

But neither of those boots has satisfied the 27-year-old, with Martin wearing his old Pumas in Rounds 9 and 10.

His last two weeks have seen him return to his dynamic best, gathering 37 disposals, six marks and two goals in the win over Hawthorn before backing it up against Essendon with 35 disposals and seven marks.

Martin received the maximum 10 votes from the coaches in the AFLCA Champion Player of the Year award in the win over the Hawks in Round 9, while he polled seven votes in Dreamtime at the ‘G.

Is there more to this boot superstition than we thought?

Martin had previously gathered 30 disposals just once this season — in Round 1 — while he had polled votes from the coaches just twice — nine votes in Round 5 and one vote in Round 1.

Since he returned to the trusty Puma EvoPowers, Martin has averaged 36 disposals, compared to just 21.9 in Rounds 1-8 and is averaging a massive 654 metres gained — over 300m more than his 342m average to start the year.

The superstar has also recaptured his spark at the contest, averaging nine clearances and 13.5 contested possessions for game.

The Herald Sun reported in April Martin’s relationship with Puma hit a snag when the company no longer made available the EvoPower boots.

Puma said in a statement it had been “working closely with Martin through a transition period to the new style of Puma boot but through this process it has been agreed upon by both parties to end the relationship”.

DUSTIN MARTIN IN 2019

STAT ROUNDS 1-8 ROUNDS 9-10
Disposals 21.9 36.0
Kicking efficiency 55.3% 55.0%
Metres gained 342 654
Contested possessions 11.0 13.5
Clearances 3.4 9.0
Score involvements 6.7 6.5
Goals 0.7 1.0

TigerPort

Tiger Superstar
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Hmmm

So a contract with Puma was mutually and publically ended and the great one went in search of alternate options from Puma competitors, again publically but found them wanting and went back to Puma?? And when he went back his playing form returned to his previous high levels

Great marketing for Puma.

Just saying.