Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
In fairness though they were at least partially correct.

Dustin was very lucky some of the things he did in his first couple of years never became public knowledge.

He easily could have been sacked and ended up a could-have-been story like Bennell.

Mr.T, we really do need a dislike button.

Maybe like a joker, you get to play it once a month or something?

Anyway, i play mine here.

Absurd, gossipy, uneneccesary, anti-richmond innuendo

Reactions: 6 users

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012

Agree. Ive never understood the whole "hey everyone I know something you don't but Im not going to tell" mentality.

Reactions: 1 user

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
For context, I've known Dustin most of his life, I helped him prepare to be drafted and he took me into the rooms after the Premiership.

I'm not gossiping or undermining him, I speak with a sense of pride at how far he has come as a man. I'll be forever thankful he lost the scallywag behaviour and became a great.

I believe this is another reason the club are incredibly proud of the man Dustin has grown into as well. The undeniable talent was always there, and just like with many young kids, taking the time and having the patience to work through the difficult teenage / early twenty years has certainly reaped the benefits for both Richmond, Dustin, fans, and football lovers in general.

Acknowledging the early difficulties is also a celebration of the pieces of the puzzle fitting into place beautifully - would Dustin have survived at a club other than Richmond, or with a coach other than Dimma, or without the teammates who saw Dustin's potential both from an ability and character perspective. Often times the unrealistic expectations we place on talented kids and the fishbowl existence of those talented kids in an AFL mad town like Melbourne would absolutely break lesser people. For Dustin, that fishbowl existence magnified into something very few of us would ever want to have to experience and yet he has endured and overcome the hiccups both major and minor, done his own self-reflection and continued to develop into the best version of Dustin Martin he can be.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
In fairness though they were at least partially correct.

Dustin was very lucky some of the things he did in his first couple of years never became public knowledge.

He easily could have been sacked and ended up a could-have-been story like Bennell.

Yes I know , and it probably went on a bit longer than a couple to be honest ,

But credit to our club for persevering, and helping get him to where he is today

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
For context, I've known Dustin most of his life, I helped him prepare to be drafted and he took me into the rooms after the Premiership.

I'm not gossiping or undermining him, I speak with a sense of pride at how far he has come as a man. I'll be forever thankful he lost the scallywag behaviour and became a great.

okay, fair enough. I took it as you being scandalous. my apologies.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Worse then i reckon

Loose lips sink ships

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach

And that gossip came from a moderator!

Pretty poor effort by an administrator in my view.

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Worse then i reckon

Loose lips sink ships

If you get the chance, take the time to read the whole Dustin Martin thread - it makes for some interesting reading and there are a few posters of whom The Big Richo is one, who are now and have always been, supportive of Dustin right throughout his career.

Reactions: 2 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
From the cheap seats, it looked like Cotchin was a big part in putting - and keeping - Dusty on the straight and narrow.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I like a good redemption story and this one happens to be ours. I just like watching him play in our jumper. Footy has some great stories like the Dusty story, we have another potential one in Marlion Pickett who spent some time in jail. It’s just great that our footy club can provide a culture where these guys feel accepted by the whole club.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne

You can always ignore if you disagree. You also have the right to report something if you feel it warrants it, ie. goes against the site rules.

We all have differing opinions and life experiences. We have all seen the transformation of Dusty and for the better.

Move on and let’s focus on the player and not his personal life.
I’m looking forward to a Dusty that will take over tonight’s game.

Reactions: 3 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
You can always ignore if you disagree. You also have the right to report something if you feel it warrants it, ie. goes against the site rules.

We all have differing opinions and life experiences. We have all seen the transformation of Dusty and for the better.

Move on and let’s focus on the player and not his personal life.
I’m looking forward to a Dusty that will take over tonight’s game.
All things in moderation I say; more particularly for Moderators!