Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Having watched some old state footy games in recent days on Fox.. reminded me of what some of the boys got up to at places like The Tunnel post match!
Who knows what these couple of rascally lookin' fellas would've been like back then? Can't imagine it would have been dull;)View attachment 9564

Looks like Dusty stole the bobble head from the dashboard of my car

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Not sure what his program has involved over summer but in every photo I've seen, Dusty looks in the shape of his life.
That's a scary prospect for the opposition.

Made the best of the best look down right ordinary at times last night. It's Dusty's league. Best in the biz.

Reactions: 4 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Has there ever been a player to have sooo much hype but never preforms because he is ALWAYS injured??
The bloke is a overrated... He is no better then Danihar or Moore.
They play one good game and then miss 10 weeks and everyone rates them as stars of the comp.
I must be flked but i cant remember the last time NitNat influenced the result of a game.
Apparently waving your arms around wildly is being a "Match Winner"

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
The extended interview with Dustin Martin about Marlion Pickett from last night's Australian Story is on YouTube.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The extended interview with Dustin Martin about Marlion Pickett from last night's Australian Story is on YouTube.
Extended? Why didn't they show it? 30 minutes was way too short for this story.

Reactions: 1 user

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Extended? Why didn't they show it? 30 minutes was way too short for this story.
Yep, hard to fit everything into a 30 minute show. On the Australian Story website there are some extra stories and video links giving some extra insights. Plus a nice photo of Dustin. 1583230850817.png

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Thanks for posting @amc11.
I reckon many people believe because Dusty doesn't speak much, and shuns the limelight when he's not playing, that he's a bit of a knucklehead..... So far from it as that few minutes proves.

Well spoken, thoughtful and sincere. .... He'd never allow it, but whenever it's all over, they should be doing an Australian Story on him!

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Thanks for posting @amc11.
I reckon many people believe because Dusty doesn't speak much, and shuns the limelight when he's not playing, that he's a bit of a knucklehead..... So far from it as that few minutes proves.

Well spoken, thoughtful and sincere. .... He'd never allow it, but whenever it's all over, they should be doing an Australian Story on him!
Absolutely should be doing a story on him but I think the tiny insight right at the start of the clip where the producer Belinda Hawkins, states how Dustin is not a big fan of doing interviews and he shakes his head, grins and answers as long as he's not talking about himself it's fine says it all really.
I get the feeling the ABC were very pleasantly surprised Dustin agreed to take part and be interviewed.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The development into the mature young man that he now is, is quite remarkable, more power to Dusty, and the role models who have influenced him.

Reactions: 6 users

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
The development into the mature young man that he now is, is quite remarkable, more power to Dusty, and the role models who have influenced him.
He has come a long way. I wonder how that journo from Miyagi gate is traveling?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
When Dusty gets to 350 games and a Cv that reads,
5 flags
4 norm Smith's
2 brownlows
5 AAs

He will be in the top 3 Richmond Players (behind Dyer & Castagna) in the history of our great club.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Gary Lyon will still justify Melbournes over looking him.

Reactions: 1 user

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Dusty could kick 80 goals in a season: Nick Riewoldt
Jake Niall
March 3, 2020 — 3.02pm

If Dustin Martin was a contentious choice as best afield in the exhumed state of origin exhibition on Friday, there was no question that he was more dangerous than any key forward, his Tiger teammates Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt included.
Martin's ability to win one-on-one contests close to goal and either score or generously give-off to a teammate has become more pronounced since 2017, as the Tigers have increased his time as a deep forward and cut down his on-ball minutes.
Since the Tigers have two bona fide key forwards in Lynch and Riewoldt, Martin has not been a necessity in attack, albeit he did boot six goals from nine disposals in the qualifying final against the Lions, when Damien Hardwick improvised and kept Dusty deep, in the knowledge that Brisbane didn't have an opponent capable of curbing him.

Richmond star Dustin Martin kicked six goals as Richmond smashed Brisbane in their AFL qualifying final.
But what could or would Dusty do if he was stationed as a forward, permanently, and did not spend half or more of his time in the midfield?

Nick Riewoldt, the ex-Saints champion turned commentator with Fox Footy, reckoned that Martin would be a rare forward capable of kicking 80 goals in a season, if kept exclusively forward.
Riewoldt said he did not think the AFL would see another forward break the 100-goal barrier, a safe call today given that the Coleman medallist struggles to get far past 60 goals.

It appears that 80 goals is the new 100. Riewoldt felt we would see another player surpass 80, and nominated Martin as one player with that capacity.
"It's just going to take somebody to be probably really courageous from a coaching point of view and just allow someone to [stay deep]. I mean, I think if Dusty just sat deep – when he goes deep – if he sat deep all the time, I think he could kick 80 in a year."

Riewoldt said the Tigers would have to "just hold their nerve" and keep Martin forward, and of course, they would depriving themselves of their premier on-baller. "You're robbing Peter to pay Paul. But I think if he did he'd be capable."
The presence of Lynch and Riewoldt means there's little chance that we'll find out just how many Martin could kick. He booted 37 in his stellar triple crown season of 2017 (Brownlow, Norm Smith Medal and flag), when his ratio of time spent midfield to forward was about 70-30.
Martin remained around that 70-30 ratio in 2018, but Hardwick deployed him forward more often last year, when he was closer to 55 per cent midfield, 45 forward. He booted 32 goals in 2019, but that relatively modest tally doesn't take account of Dusty's willingness to donate goals.

Martin ranked in the top five players for winning one-on-one contests in the AFL last year. As with Patrick Dangerfield – a superior overhead mark compared to Martin, but much less proficient at snaps – the query on stationing him as permanent forward is not simply the loss of midfield drive, but the reality that once a player is kept forward, he invariably draws better defenders than if he drags an ill-suited midfielder or flanker to the goal square.

On Friday, for instance, Jeremy Howe, who has played on the "resting" Martin on occasions in Richmond-Collingwood games, fared better than the smaller Brad Shepherd.
More broadly, it is revealing that Riewoldt nominated Martin – not Jeremy Cameron, Lynch or anyone over 193 centimetres – as the forward with the capability of breaking the 80-goal barrier.
Riewoldt believes there is still a place for the star key forward, but that the game has never been as difficult for those who ply his former craft. He thought Cameron had the potential to be the best forward in the game, even though he did not play as a "traditional" key forward.
"You could argue they're almost more important because the ability to win one-on-one contests, when you get them, there's such a premium on it now, but it's just the way the game's played now. It's never been more difficult to be a key forward."
Riewoldt's fellow former key forward and Fox colleague, Jonathan Brown, said, funnily enough, the trend was towards teams playing more key forwards. But due to the numbers deployed in defence, the role of those key forwards had changed.

Today's key forward, Brown said, was expected "as much to make a contest down the line, get the the ball to ground, avoid having intercept marks taken against you.

"So the key forward is very prominent in our game, but not from the score because there's so many numbers back there now, defensively.
"The game certainly doesn't flow like state of origin on Friday night.''
The game hasn't flowed like Friday night's exhibition much, because teams actually tackle in the real season. The key forward isn't extinct, and Dusty isn't about to become one.

Perhaps, we'll only see Martin re-invented as a primary forward late in his career, Leigh Matthews-style, if and when Nick Riewoldt's cousin Jack has finished.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Or Kevin Bartlett who wanted him suspended for 12 months and fined 50k, as well as suggesting he is a perpetrator of violence against women, despite there being not one scrap of evidence to support that nonsense.

There were enough "supporters" on PRE who agreed with KB and wanted Dusty lynched.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Or Kevin Bartlett who wanted him suspended for 12 months and fined 50k, as well as suggesting he is a perpetrator of violence against women, despite there being not one scrap of evidence to support that nonsense.
Yep. He was a great player for us but geez he comes out with a lot of rubbish at times.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Dusty could kick 80 goals in a season: Nick Riewoldt

He could. But he's too unselfish. Like in the Origin game, he could have kicked another 4 goals but gave them off to players in better positions / brought others into the game.

That's what *smile* me off at all the salties whinging about Dusty winning best on. If it wasn't for him feeding Green and Kelly, they wouldn't have kicked the goals they did.

Reactions: 2 users