Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
GOAT at Richmond sure. Are you talking about the best of the best? Woooaaahh Nelly.

I reckon any combo of

- 1 more NS

- 1 brownlow and 1 more flag

- 2 more flags

- 1 flag and a coleman

- another 100 games and 3 AA

and he'd be firmly in the conversation as the greatest footy player ever in the universe since the beginning of time.

of course he could win 5 more flags, 5 more NS, 5 more brownlows, 5 more AA and 5 Colemans,

and his greatness would transcend time and space.

It is possible Dustys star is ascending

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I reckon any combo of

- 1 more NS

- 2 more flags

- 1 flag and a coleman

and he'd be firmly in the conversation as the greatest footy player ever in the universe since the beginning of time.

of course he could win 5 more flags, 5 more NS, 5 more brownlows, 5 more AA and 5 Colemans,

And the best part is, he doesn’t have to play that well and he’ll still win the awards!
;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Dusty been relegated to 2nd best player in the league by Robbo. To be overtaken by Bontempelli apparently, He’s tipping most of our guns to drop in standings. Cant see the logic after winning the Premiership but logic never been his strong point

Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon any combo of

- 1 more NS

- 2 more flags

- 1 flag and a coleman

2020 -Flag, Normie, Chas, AA and another Tigers B and F just like 2017 will do nicely :))

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
May that lot never change.

Already got themselves uber hyped for 2020.

Hopefully the Eagles slap them straight into the bottom 3 after the opening round.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Dusty been relegated to 2nd best player in the league by Robbo. To be overtaken by Bontempelli apparently, He’s tipping most of our guns to drop in standings. Cant see the logic after winning the Premiership but logic never been his strong point

You have to remember Bontompelli took a pre seson game apart a few weeks ago.

That obviously our ranks Dustin Martin taking a duo of Grand Finals apart and being best on ground in the Vics v All Stars game.

Cast your mind back to the Dogs final lastg year, the hammering they got, and the fact that Bontompelli as good a player as he is, not firing a shot once he was roughed up. I couldn't see Dustin Martin giving it up that easily. That's the big difference between Martin andthe other elite mids we are talking about. He just goes to another level in finals and literally OWNS them. Dangerfield keeps failing in finals. The Bont hasn't exactly covered himself in glory, and Cripps hasn't had the opportunity yet. Fyfe wasn't the best in the GF he played, though i still rank him as second to Martin. The other point of note, is the quality of Martin's disposals versus these other guys.

If you were picking a team to win a Grand Final tomorrow, every single coach in the AFL is going to pick Dustin Martin first except Chris Scott who is going to pick Josh Jenkins because , well he's a tool.

Reactions: 7 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Latest Herald Sun headline:

BOOZE-FREE DUSTY PRIMED FOR CAREER-BEST YEAR
In a worrying sign for reigning premier Richmond’s flag rivals, Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin has put himself on a self-imposed booze ban as he looks to lead the Tigers to back-to-back premierships.

What!, you mean until now he hasn't even been trying :D no wonder he looks in such ripping nick!

Last edited:
  • Haha

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Latest Herald Sun headline:

BOOZE-FREE DUSTY PRIMED FOR CAREER-BEST YEAR
In a worrying sign for reigning premier Richmond’s flag rivals, Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin has put himself on a self-imposed booze ban as he looks to lead the Tigers to back-to-back premierships.

What!, you mean until now he hasn't even been trying :D no wonder he looks in such ripping nick!
So all this time he's been playing hung over?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Don't particularly give a *smile* where they rate Dusty or the Lynchman or any of our players for that matter. Whole squad of 22 will give more than an honest contest week after week n then when the finals arrive n things get important . They'll simply dig in n give an even more intense version of the honest contest.
We've got such an even spread of contributors as shown all last season, that there is always someone putting the hand up n sticking in their five cents worth every time we run out to play.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I don't really buy too much into discussions about where players rank historically, it was different times. I have mused about Hart vs Martin but who knows, there is a bit of time proximity bias always in these things
It's really hard for those who weren't around in the late 1960s and early 1970s to be involved in that discussion but all I can say is that Royce Hart was a absolute superstar, an incredible footballer who probably gets marked down just a bit because of his knee issues from about age 25-26 which meant his career was shortened.
I am happy I saw both and extra happy that one of them is still playing

Reactions: 6 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I don't really buy too much into discussions about where players rank historically, it was different times. I have mused about Hart vs Martin but who knows, there is a bit of time proximity bias always in these things
It's really hard for those who weren't around in the late 1960s and early 1970s to be involved in that discussion but all I can say is that Royce Hart was a absolute superstar, an incredible footballer who probably gets marked down just a bit because of his knee issues from about age 25-26 which meant his career was shortened.
I am happy I saw both and extra happy that one of them is still playing

Nice commentary, ST
Like you. I got to see the fabulous Royce Hart throughout his extraordinary career. Was my favourite footballer of the time.
It is hard and unfair really to compare players across eras and different stages of the game.
Reckon I'm just glad that Richmond fans are currently having the opportunity to see an amazing player wearing the #4 for Richmond.
Martin and Hart are very different footballers. Both are champions of RFC. And both are multi-winning premiership players.
Royce will probably always get my nod as one of the all-time greats at Richmond. But that said, I do salivate (even drool at times) when I see Dusty strutting his stuff and being his imperious self. I still replay that audacious goal he kicked from the boundary in the 2019 GF after receiving the tunnel handball from Rioli. Still slap my forehead when I see that snap curl through for a goal.