Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
You were the number 1 ticket holder in the "sack Hardwick" faction
Geez. There's been plenty in that faction from probably Dimma's third year in the job. Surprisingly most of them have stfu since 2017 although a couple of them might have woke up for a little while after 2018 finished abruptly.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The media once again are going on about Dusty, "is he the best ever"?. I reckon in alot of other clubs he would easily be the best ever, Stkilda, Brisbane, Footscary, etc
But we need to chill. Our Club is full of champion players.
Dusty 100% deserves to be in the conversation.
But KB, Hart and Dyer would still be above him.
Dustin Martin is definitely in the conversation as our club's greatest ever. I don't think anyone is above him.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
On pure numbers as I hadn't obviously seen him but Skinny Titus still for me @ 1, Dusty now 2, KB @ 3 , Jack D 4 & Royce 5
Very hard to compare generations Taz. When Titus kicked all those goals it was a very different game that it is now.
2020 is a pretty different game to what it was even in 2019.
I have trouble putting Dusty behind any of the players zipper mentioned, equally I have trouble putting him above them too.
However I have no trouble saying he's the greatest of his generation.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Sure was, I thought he was never going to be able to take the side to the next level.

When you look at the stats, history shows his chances of winning a first flag after that many years at the helm were almost nil, and I didn't think he had the ability to formulate a premiership winning brand of football.

I still don't know if I was completely wrong or if I just underestimated how good a player Dustin would become but either way it is the best tasting humble pie I've ever eaten.

You were consistent in your point of view over a long period and especially in 2016. Nearly wore me down to accepting your arguments. Thankfully it all changed from 2017 onwards.

Martin being that good is just the cherry on top. Clearly places the team at a higher level however there was more to it than just that.

Hardwick himself had to change his approach and those trips to Harvard and the like helped him adjust. It also helped that he changed from dictating a particular game style to one that took advantage of the collective strengths of the players at his disposal.

Then the total buy in of all the players from Martin down to the new kids from each draft sealed the deal.

Reactions: 1 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Very hard to compare generations Taz. When Titus kicked all those goals it was a very different game that it is now.
2020 is a pretty different game to what it was even in 2019.
I have trouble putting Dusty behind any of the players zipper mentioned, equally I have trouble putting him above them too.
However I have no trouble saying he's the greatest of his generation.
absolutely, Dusty def the best player in my adult life time

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
For anyone interested in what a fellow premiership / Charlie / Normie recipient thinks of Dustin. .... this is well worth a listen!
Ps.... if the play button doesn't appear, just crank it up at the 36min mark and Chris Scott's view. :)

'Dusty would be your favourite player's favourite player.' - Jimmy Bartel

That was nothing short of superb listening thanks aoc.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dusty is astounding. Can't comment on Jack Dyer, but I do think KB probably shades him at the moment with 5 flags and great performances in finals. I think you would need to put Dusty on a par with Royce Hart.

To say this is elite company is an understatement.

He has the time to reach Bartlett and also Bartlett played over 400 games so comparing on the basis of opportunity, given Bartlett had more opportunity playing for so long, Dusty can very easily be rated as on par. If Martin continues like this then I reckon he will go past Bartlett.

Very different players but both could turn a game, we are so lucky to have had both play for us.

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I still don't know if I was completely wrong or if I just underestimated how good a player Dustin would become but either way it is the best tasting humble pie I've ever eaten.

You were completely wrong

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
absolutely, Dusty def the best player in my adult life time

Dustys the best ive ever seen.

I used to sometimes say Vossy and sometime Gablett Sr.

But its uneqivocally Dusty now.

Hes the best ever i reckon.

And with Ralph declaring the doco is only half way through,

I expect another 3 flags before hes done.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Love rewatching the replay and amongst all the carnage of what is an all-time great GF, where each player is lucky to do one special thing and most are getting whacked every time they touch the ball, Dusty pulls off four amazing goals.

We are blessed to watch and barrack for this guy.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
dunno if its been posted, but this chart is pretty incredible

The 20 disposals and 2 goals in preliminary and grand finals Club

6x DUSTIN MARTIN
5x
4x Barry Cable, Tim Watson
3x 10 players
2x 25 players
1x 109 players

we can't really use this chart as evidence Dusty is The Greatest Ever,

because it excludes backmen.

But that doesn't really matter. Its a breathtaking statistic that clearly shows

Dusty does as he pleases in preliminary and grand finals 100% of the time and 50% more often than the 2nd most prolific big game men who are embedded in successful sides.

extraordinary

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
I wonder how he would have gone in, say, Leigh’s day, when the ball was mostly kicked over space from one contest to another. No carefully spaced grid moving around him. No rolling maul of mids and spares that accompany most contests. Just Dustin and an opponent.
I reckon he’d have some compelling numbers.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I reckon he is the first player ive ever seen that can influence the result of a game on his own.
He is the difference in winning and losing.
Therefore i was thinking what would he be worth if he was up for contract tomorrow and what would be his trade value??

My view. 7 yrs 1.2 mil
Trade 2 first rounders *under pick5
And a player of Bompmytelly/Fyfe calibre.
Nothing less.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I wonder how he would have gone in, say, Leigh’s day, when the ball was mostly kicked over space from one contest to another. No carefully spaced grid moving around him. No rolling maul of mids and spares that accompany most contests. Just Dustin and an opponent.
I reckon he’d have some compelling numbers.

Dustys reign is built on contested ball, sublime ball use and complete command of the most important moments of the most important games of footy.

plus, the very nature of being

the best ever

means that his absolute greatness moves through time and space effortlessly,

in any context.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
All of our Grand Final victories have a memorable moment.

Some may hold their own views but for mine..

2017 was Towner's bone crunching tackle on Crouch.

2019 was Marlion's mesmerising blind turn.

2020 was Dusty's absolutely freakish last goal.

That goal will be immortalised like Bartlett's on Magro.

Reactions: 10 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
All of our Grand Final victories have a memorable moment.

Some may hold their own views but for mine..

2017 was Towner's bone crunching tackle on Crouch.

2019 was Marlion's mesmerising blind turn.

2020 was Dusty's absolutely freakish last goal.

That goal will be immortalised like Bartlett's on Magro.

And Castgna's snap that ended Adelaide's dreams in 2017.
And the castagna mark in the semi final in 2017.
And Castgna's break neck speed off the half back line in 2019.
And Castagna's pressure that destroyed Geelong's defence.
Dusty is a close 2nd to these moments

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users