Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Well Dermie is right on one thing - Dusty has the best waddle of any AFL player - I mean - defn: intransitive verb. 1 : to walk with short steps swinging the forepart of the body from side to side.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
he is actually a pretty nice guy dermie away from the media ,

Yeah, he is. I have met him a couple of times through my Uncle who has been a sponsor of the Hawks for years.

Good bloke. And I actually reckon he is one of the few people out there who is genuinely happy the Tigers have turned things around.

Reactions: 3 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
The suggestion I loved came from James Hird in 2017, who wanted the AFL to rearrange the rules and buy Dusty, and then allow for him to land at the GC.
Thought at the time that James had shown himself to be quite comfortable with any approach to solving a problem, as long it gave him a favourable result.

I have said it before but this is a perfect time for the handover of leadership to Dusty to occur.

Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
A little blast from the past.

Dermott Brereton tells Richmond's Dustin Martin to take the money

Take the cash while you can. That's the message to Tiger tyro Dustin Martin from Hawks legend Dermott Brereton.

The Herald Sun reported earlier this week that Martin was poised to get a $2.4 million offer from the new Greater Western Sydney team just eight games into his AFL career.

The maturity shown in those games has him already earmarked as a future Richmond leader.

Brereton said this morning he should pounce on the offer while his value was so high.

"I'm looking at him from an outsider's perspective and thinking he's going to turn into a waddler," Brereton said on radio station SEN.

"He might still be a very good player, but he'll have to be a very good inside player."

"His currency right now, in relative terms to the market, is as good as it's ever going to be."

28/5/2010

Pocketed over $1.3m in 2019 alone. And earned every cent.
Dermie over the years, when he opens his mouth , guarantee you , he has put the ‘kiss of death’ on that player.

- when he talks that player up ( crash he goes ) mostly.
- when he talks that player down ( he becomes a very good player to more - in Dustins case ).

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Dermie over the years, when he opens his mouth , guarantee you , he has put the ‘kiss of death’ on that player.

- when he talks that player down ( he becomes a very good player to more - in Dustins case ).
Hope not, waiting, because he’s a big Shai Bolton fan.

• Wow

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

Do you remember when he called Aaron James the next Wayne Carey? At the same time it’s human nature to remember the shockers and not the good ones. So if he made 200 calls and 10 were bad we probably only remember those. Now David king only makes shockers.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Hope not, waiting, because he’s a big Shai Bolton fan.

He was also Tom Lynch's biggest fan early.

Couple that with the love he's always given Towner, I think he does alright.

I actually really like Dermott's take on the game. His commentary is always purely on the football, usually finds the positive, and he's really good at communicating the player's eye view of the way plays unfold.

One of the few in the football media who both have the first hand knowledge and can communicate it.

Reactions: 8 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Do you remember when he called Aaron James the next Wayne Carey? At the same time it’s human nature to remember the shockers and not the good ones. So if he made 200 calls and 10 were bad we probably only remember those. Now David king only makes shockers.
David Schwarz said Luke McGuane would be better than Richo. Garry Hocking said Clint Bizzell was the next Ablett snr.

• Sad
  • Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

I actually really like Dermott's take on the game. His commentary is always purely on the football, usually finds the positive, and he's really good at communicating the player's eye view of the way plays unfold.

One of the few in the football media who both have the first hand knowledge and can communicate it.

Yeah, Dermie's OK. He got on the tiger bandwagon earlier than most media too.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

I am now shocked when Kingy doesn’t make a shocker

• Haha

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Yes, yes, I remember the James comparison...

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

True Coburg.
He was a big fan of Lynch from when he was young.
Did he get on the Towner bandwagon?
That’s explains it.! Joking.

Seriously though I don’t mind Dermie.
Had it tough young. His dad...
Remember his first game ( in a final ) ..

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
A little blast from the past.

Dermott Brereton tells Richmond's Dustin Martin to take the money

Take the cash while you can. That's the message to Tiger tyro Dustin Martin from Hawks legend Dermott Brereton.

The Herald Sun reported earlier this week that Martin was poised to get a $2.4 million offer from the new Greater Western Sydney team just eight games into his AFL career.

The maturity shown in those games has him already earmarked as a future Richmond leader.

Brereton said this morning he should pounce on the offer while his value was so high.

"I'm looking at him from an outsider's perspective and thinking he's going to turn into a waddler," Brereton said on radio station SEN.

"He might still be a very good player, but he'll have to be a very good inside player."

"His currency right now, in relative terms to the market, is as good as it's ever going to be."

28/5/2010

Pocketed over $1.3m in 2019 alone. And earned every cent.
What a shocking call this was, and must be embarrassing for him now. It just takes away any credibility he has as an “expert” to get something so wrong, when all of us normal punters could see Dusty was always destined for greatness.

to be so far off the mark, laughable really.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Yeah, Dermie's OK. He got on the tiger bandwagon earlier than most media too.
I reckon he has a soft spot for the Tiges.
Unhappy with the day he snotted Tony Free, but if there was one player from another club, I would have taken it would be Dermie every day of the week.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I reckon he has a soft spot for the Tiges.
Unhappy with the day he snotted Tony Free, but if there was one player from another club, I would have taken it would be Dermie every day of the week.
How about when he broke Peter Czeraki's jaw??

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

"He might still be a very good player, but he'll have to be a very good inside
Dusty's always had the big arse strong legs build, same as so many of the kiwi and islander rugby players. That's where Dermie mentioned the waddler from, pretty sure he referenced an ex Brisvegas mid who also had a fat arse n waddled a bit.

Turns out Dusty n the fitness, conditioning blokes have done a wonderful job of keeping Dusty in premium shape n not letting him over bulk in any area.

Laughed when Dermie first mentioned it n still laugh now at all the people trying to ping him for a simple observational comment of a future possibility.