Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I reckon the fact he is quiet and doesn't do much media adds to the mystique and makes him more marketable. The image could allow him to get beyond AFL markets too, they can show a bit of footage from a game where he shrugs off opponents and you don't need to understand Aussie Rules to understand he is owning the play.

That is, apart from being clearly the best player going around.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon the fact he is quiet and doesn't do much media adds to the mystique and makes him more marketable. The image could allow him to get beyond AFL markets too, they can show a bit of footage from a game where he shrugs off opponents and you don't need to understand Aussie Rules to understand he is owning the play.

That is, apart from being clearly the best player going around.

DS

Agree.

"Better to keep silent and let people think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln"

Also agree re the footage. There are some unbelievable Dusty Martin packages on Youtube. There are plenty of packages for other players as well but Dusty's are different.

After a while you notice one stark point of differnce. When Buddy, GAJ or Fyfe kicks a stunning goal, they show three replays of it, from several angles. A five minute highlights reel has maybe 5-10 genuine highlights.

However, when Dusty does something special, like kick a 50 metre goal from hard up against the boundary, they follow it up with three more, exactly the same. There is no need for replays. Then they show 15 "Don;t-argues" in a row, where he makes grown men look like children. Then it is five bullet passes to Jack Riewoldt that hit him lace out.

And they can make a package for every year that he has played!

Google Dusty 2017 highlights or a Decade of Dusty. They are breath-taking.

Reactions: 12 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Agree.

"Better to keep silent and let people think you are a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln"

Also agree re the footage. There are some unbelievable Dusty Martin packages on Youtube. There are plenty of packages for other players as well but Dusty's are different.

After a while you notice one stark point of differnce. When Buddy, GAJ or Fyfe kicks a stunning goal, they show three replays of it, from several angles. A five minute highlights reel has maybe 5-10 genuine highlights.

However, when Dusty does something special, like kick a 50 metre goal from hard up against the boundary, they follow it up with three more, exactly the same. There is no need for replays. Then they show 15 "Don;t-argues" in a row, where he makes grown men look like children. Then it is five bullet passes to Jack Riewoldt that hit him lace out.

And they can make a package for every year that he has played!

Google Dusty 2017 highlights or a Decade of Dusty. They are breath-taking.

if they showed a career highlights reel of Dusty, they’d need to have an intermission.
Alternatively, they could show it in 4 parts with a qtr time break between each segment :))

• Haha
  • Love

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
He's making up that Norf contract shortfall quite easily.

Kudos to Ralph Carr for advising Dusty of the additional sponsorship opportunities with RFC. It helps that he's won 3 premierships but it would have been a risk to turn down guaranteed $$ in exchange for sponsorship upside.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Kudos to Ralph Carr for advising Dusty of the additional sponsorship opportunities with RFC. It helps that he's won 3 premierships but it would have been a risk to turn down guaranteed $$ in exchange for sponsorship upside.

Don't worry, if it wasn't with Richmond, Dusty's outside football deals would've been with Best and less and Crobsy footwear if he joined North.
There would've been no chance he would be on the same deals money wise if he left for North.
Ralph Carr should be kissing Gale

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I'm 58yrs old and life time supporter. Dustin Martin is the best player I've seen bar none.
I'm not there yet Rinso, equal with Royce

When the history of RFC is written Dusty will probably get it because he will play 350 + games. Royce's career was cut short by his knee so Dusty will probably get him for longevity. On the other side Royce was a superstar and a premiership player in his first year and is a 4 time premiership player

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Royce, KB, it is hard to put Dusty definitively ahead of players like that.

Maybe we just need to wait until the end of Dusty's career to really assess where he sits.

But, bloody hell, he is damned close to any I have seen and Dusty ain't finished yet.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Dusty has more x factor than any player I have seen. He definitely has gears and in 2017 he was in top gear for a freakish season. Since then he sometimes sits back when not essential. But, as in the Grand Final he turns it to turbocharge mode when he is needed. This keeps him out of Brownlow contention but he is loved by his teammates because they see that for him it is ONLY about flags.
This is what sets him apart.
Many topliners have their best games against the weak teams.
Dusty's best games are when the whips are cracking.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
See what I can do for you Zipps old boy!
Just remember little Wait, Dusty, Cotchin and Grimes were all there before Castagna, Rioli and Bulter turned up.
Those 3 changed the club into the powerhouse they are today.
Where's the 3 hours of Castagna highlights. :cupgold