Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Can anyone access the John Ralph article in today’s HeraldSun about Dusty not letting Geelong win three Premierships...?

And maybe copy and paste it here please?

In 1985, Colin Carter literally wrote the AFL paper on equalisation then spent his decade as Geelong president attempting to circumvent that very principle.

If not for a tattooed Richmond midfielder, that audacious attempt might have resulted in three premierships in his 10 years in charge.

Carter will this year retire as Geelong president after a life spent not as a publicity-seeking official, but one providing abiding service to his club and the game over more than three decades.

A Geelong board member from 1988-1993, he resigned only to join the AFL Commission for 15 years until 2008, then returned as a Cats director until replacing Frank Costa as president in 2011.

He is as proud of the club’s exit from poker machines and its cultural leadership as all those games won since Chris Scott took charge in 2011.

But Carter still shakes his head at the big ones that got away.

“I wrote the report which led to the national competition and it was a scheme designed to stop dynasties. I was part of installing it at AFL level and therefore it has been ironic and pleasurable to attempt to beat it,” he said.

“We haven’t had one draft pick inside the top 10 in the last decade.

“We have been in the finals nine of 10 years, we have had six top-four finishes and Dustin Martin aside, we could have been pretty close to three premierships.”

In this year’s Grand Final Martin’s four-goal masterclass simply ripped the game away from a Geelong side dominant until half-time.

“Last year (in the 2019 preliminary final) was one where we were a couple of players down and if we had got over Richmond, GWS were cooked by the Grand Final,” Carter recalled.

“Another time an errant kick meant we missed the prelim by a few points,” Carter said.

“But I have always said we won a few prelims by a few points too.

“I felt we were grossly unlucky to lose 2008 to Hawthorn, but then again we were lucky in 2009 and I have friends who barrack for St Kilda and I feel badly for them too.

“So you grab them when you can.”

The Cats couldn’t quite send Gary Ablett Jnr out on a high, losing the 2020 Grand Final to Richmond. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

The Cats couldn’t quite send Gary Ablett Jnr out on a high, losing the 2020 Grand Final to Richmond. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

ON GEELONG STAYING AT THE TOP

Carter believes the first rule of business – and thriving as a football club – is minimising those self-inflicted controversies that so often befall rivals.

“Footy clubs make decisions on football and list management and staff and if you can get eight or nine of those decisions right out of 10 you are in with a big show,” he said.

“If you make bad decisions the headwinds hit you. If you get four or five decisions right out of 10, the margins are so tight you probably finish in the bottom half of the ladder.

“I have watched a lot of footy clubs and at any one point in time a third of clubs are making life difficult with inner turmoil.

“If you can avoid that, you are competing for a position in the top 12. Nothing that has happened has persuaded us that’s incorrect.

“In the old days the cheque book would cover a multitude of organisational sins.

“You could trash your organisation and buy a champion from Adelaide or Perth, but you can’t do it any more so it can take years to recover from bad decisions.”

ON CHRIS SCOTT’S RELATIONSHIP WITH THE FANS

“I think he’s done a terrific job. Some of our members have developed an expectation that if you are not in the top four, (you have failed) but I don’t think he gets enough credit for the phenomenal task of building up this list without bottoming out,” Carter said.

“No one else has been able to do it.

“He has the best record of any coach in the history of the AFL.

“To my friends I point out my tenure exactly matches Chris’, but I rarely complete the sentence because it’s so ludicrous.

“It goes to show you as the winningest coach, and the next best is a fair way behind at 65 per cent, it goes to show you the expectations when you win all the time.

“The way it finished up, it really cost us two first-round picks and we got a couple of second-rounders back. It wasn’t really three first-round picks,” Carter said.

“I also respect that in the Giants’ case, if they had got 11, which would have drifted back to 13, it wasn’t adequate compensation for Jeremy Cameron.

“Geelong has a good reputation for wanting to walk away from negotiations with a sense both parties feel they have done all right from it. That is explicit.

“We sent (list manager) Stephen Wells to a negotiating course at Harvard and the major thing he came back with was in a successful negotiation, you and the other party need to walk away feeling you have done all right.

“I am not unhappy if that’s the way we are viewed.”

ON LOSING THE 2020 GRAND FINAL

“(Dustin Martin) was just terrific. I was disappointed for the guys, really. I can honestly say I am reasonably philosophical about these things,” Carter said.

“Guys like Cam Guthrie, who was in the squad in 2011 but didn’t win one, I would have loved to have seen him with a medal around his neck.

“And for guys like Paddy Dangerfield and Zach Tuohy, I would have loved it for them but it wasn’t to be.

“But I think we will go into next year, and we will need some luck, but I reckon our chances are as good as anyone else next year. I don’t think the opportunity has passed.”

ON THE MALCOLM BLIGHT ERA

The Cats lost the epic 1989 Grand Final to Geelong, two Grand Finals to West Coast and the 1995 decider to a Carlton side later hit with salary cap fines for their extra payments to players in that era.

“I still think that era was a bit undersold,” Carter said.

“We lost to Hawthorn by six points, then the expansion teams came in a bit stronger than you would have levelled them out to be and we lost another premiership to a side that was later shown to be so far over the salary cap they probably got vertigo.

“We are in an industry where there is only one successful team and a whole bunch of failures and it means the players in that era are undervalued by our industry.”

ON WANTING TO PLAY HOME FINALS AT GMHBA STADIUM

“It is unfair. You take a long view of these things and understand how you finish up in one place,” Carter said.

“We had a VFL competition where all finals were on the MCG and then we brought in interstate clubs who qualified for home finals but didn’t get them, and now that’s resolved but we are left with a dog’s breakfast.

“Melbourne clubs are asked to conform to 100 years of history with all finals at the MCG, but the time has come for us to recognise Geelong as part of a national competition entitled to home finals as Fremantle and everyone else is.

“We will get there at some stage when the inequity is finally realised, but we are still caught in a time warp.”

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Maneevo

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 13, 2011
The Cats lost the epic 1989 Grand Final to Geelong.

I don’t think he even reads his own work anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
I salute his work at the Cats. Done a great job with managing the club as a professional organisation. All done outside the spotlight. :clap2

But his football brain is as deluded as all football supporters.

Thinks Scott is the best coach because he inherited a top team and didn't have to scrub through years of muck trying to build a list in the GWS/Gold Coast compromised era.

Thinks that but for a bit of luck and no Dusty the Cats would have a guaranteed three more flags.

Thinks GMNBAJUDFHGWJLK stadium is a good place to host finals football.

o_O

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Look he's done an outstanding job at Geelong and Carter is a genuine gentleman.

But after getting belted by them for so long, it makes me happy that we as a club and Dusty has ruined any chance of a dynasty.

It's a great era but no one besides Geelong supporters will look back on the Chris Scott era fondly.

@eZyT spouts it often and he is right, this is footballing utopia.

Blessed is the Tiger soul right now.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London

In 1985, Colin Carter literally wrote the AFL paper on equalisation then spent his decade as Geelong president attempting to circumvent that very principle.

If not for a tattooed Richmond midfielder, that audacious attempt might have resulted in three premierships in his 10 years in charge.

Carter will this year retire as Geelong president after a life spent not as a publicity-seeking official, but one providing abiding service to his club and the game over more than three decades.

A Geelong board member from 1988-1993, he resigned only to join the AFL Commission for 15 years until 2008, then returned as a Cats director until replacing Frank Costa as president in 2011.

He is as proud of the club’s exit from poker machines and its cultural leadership as all those games won since Chris Scott took charge in 2011.

“I wrote the report which led to the national competition and it was a scheme designed to stop dynasties. I was part of installing it at AFL level and therefore it has been ironic and pleasurable to attempt to beat it,” he said.

“We have been in the finals nine of 10 years, we have had six top-four finishes and Dustin Martin aside, we could have been pretty close to three premierships.”

In this year’s Grand Final Martin’s four-goal masterclass simply ripped the game away from a Geelong side dominant until half-time.

“Last year (in the 2019 preliminary final) was one where we were a couple of players down and if we had got over Richmond, GWS were cooked by the Grand Final,” Carter recalled.

“Another time an errant kick meant we missed the prelim by a few points,” Carter said.

“I felt we were grossly unlucky to lose 2008 to Hawthorn, but then again we were lucky in 2009 and I have friends who barrack for St Kilda and I feel badly for them too.

Carter believes the first rule of business – and thriving as a football club – is minimising those self-inflicted controversies that so often befall rivals.

“Footy clubs make decisions on football and list management and staff and if you can get eight or nine of those decisions right out of 10 you are in with a big show,” he said.

“If you make bad decisions the headwinds hit you. If you get four or five decisions right out of 10, the margins are so tight you probably finish in the bottom half of the ladder.

“I have watched a lot of footy clubs and at any one point in time a third of clubs are making life difficult with inner turmoil.

“If you can avoid that, you are competing for a position in the top 12. Nothing that has happened has persuaded us that’s incorrect.

“In the old days the cheque book would cover a multitude of organisational sins.

“You could trash your organisation and buy a champion from Adelaide or Perth, but you can’t do it any more so it can take years to recover from bad decisions.”

“I think he’s done a terrific job. Some of our members have developed an expectation that if you are not in the top four, (you have failed) but I don’t think he gets enough credit for the phenomenal task of building up this list without bottoming out,” Carter said.

“To my friends I point out my tenure exactly matches Chris’, but I rarely complete the sentence because it’s so ludicrous.

“It goes to show you as the winningest coach, and the next best is a fair way behind at 65 per cent, it goes to show you the expectations when you win all the time.

“The way it finished up, it really cost us two first-round picks and we got a couple of second-rounders back. It wasn’t really three first-round picks,” Carter said.

“I also respect that in the Giants’ case, if they had got 11, which would have drifted back to 13, it wasn’t adequate compensation for Jeremy Cameron.

“Geelong has a good reputation for wanting to walk away from negotiations with a sense both parties feel they have done all right from it. That is explicit.

“We sent (list manager) Stephen Wells to a negotiating course at Harvard and the major thing he came back with was in a successful negotiation, you and the other party need to walk away feeling you have done all right.

“(Dustin Martin) was just terrific. I was disappointed for the guys, really. I can honestly say I am reasonably philosophical about these things,” Carter said.

“Guys like Cam Guthrie, who was in the squad in 2011 but didn’t win one, I would have loved to have seen him with a medal around his neck.

“And for guys like Paddy Dangerfield and Zach Tuohy, I would have loved it for them but it wasn’t to be.

“But I think we will go into next year, and we will need some luck, but I reckon our chances are as good as anyone else next year. I don’t think the opportunity has passed.”

The Cats lost the epic 1989 Grand Final to Geelong, two Grand Finals to West Coast and the 1995 decider to a Carlton side later hit with salary cap fines for their extra payments to players in that era.

“We lost to Hawthorn by six points, then the expansion teams came in a bit stronger than you would have levelled them out to be and we lost another premiership to a side that was later shown to be so far over the salary cap they probably got vertigo.

“We are in an industry where there is only one successful team and a whole bunch of failures and it means the players in that era are undervalued by our industry.”

“It is unfair. You take a long view of these things and understand how you finish up in one place,” Carter said.

“We had a VFL competition where all finals were on the MCG and then we brought in interstate clubs who qualified for home finals but didn’t get them, and now that’s resolved but we are left with a dog’s breakfast.

“Melbourne clubs are asked to conform to 100 years of history with all finals at the MCG, but the time has come for us to recognise Geelong as part of a national competition entitled to home finals as Fremantle and everyone else is.

“We will get there at some stage when the inequity is finally realised, but we are still caught in a time warp
Thanks Mr Man

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Dusty's first goal was actually the best of the 4, both in time of the game that it was delivered, and the degree of difficulty

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Does a bit of that, Bully.
My word he does, Captain.
The highlights reel will be a box set post-playing days.
Still holler out loud everytime I view his fourth goal in the last quarter of the GF ... and the way Dusty evades Dangerdive's tackle (leaving him to eat MCG turf) is just about as good as it gets.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

“We will get there at some stage when the inequity is finally realised, but we are still caught in a time warp.”

Sounds like a massive sook.
Prestia Nakas Lambert Bolton Balta were all superb in the GF.
What differences did those players make in this year's GF who missed last year's preliminary? No difference.
Geelong are no different to Collingwood or Stkilda, they're the best at capitulating when it counts.
Scott record means *smile* if he dosent win flags.
What's his finals record? 5 wins 13 losses?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
What..... only 100..?
It's kind of mesmerizing that goal, especially when watching it in super slow mo..... poetry in motion... love it!
It's classic Dusty, opponents feeling the pressure and the ball just conspires to go into his hands. If he was black they'd call it magic.

• Haha

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
What..... only 100..?
It's kind of mesmerizing that goal, especially when watching it in super slow mo..... poetry in motion... love it!

I dont think any of the commentary teams do it justice.

MMM probably the best with JB's *smile* off call. Listened to K Rock last night and it was like they were calling a game of bocce.

Would have liked to have heard RFC supporters commentate the goal.

If it was anything like me at the ground it would go:

"Dusty....go Dusty.....Dusty"

...Silence for a few seconds while he kicks the ball and it bends in

"No way....no way.....get *smile*.....*smile* off....*smile* me"

Turns around to arrogant Cats supporter who was having a crack in the 2nd quarter...."now that is what you call a superstar of the comp. 3 more Norm Smiths than Dangerfield!!!"

• Haha
  • Love

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I see his at the Tyszu fight....must be just about Australia’s biggest celebrity now
But still reasonably conspicuous. He’s not someone you see out and about much.

Perfect balance considering his status.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

MMM probably the best with JB's *smile* off call. Listened to K Rock last night and it was like they were calling a game of bocce.

Turns around to arrogant Cats supporter who was having a crack in the 2nd quarter...."now that is what you call a superstar of the comp. 3 more Norm Smiths than Dangerfield!!!"

I just loved the way he read the play and held back for a split second to time intercepting the handball. You could see it coming, the Geelong players probably saw it coming even in the heat of the moment, but how do you stop it happening?

The way he can get the ball in congestion and work free to make a meaningful disposal is poetry in motion.

He can see opportunities quickly, he can work out the best option and has the skill to take advantage. Smart footballer with ridiculous skills, quite the combination.

I also liked it when he completely f***ed up a kick, I think in the Grand Final, and sprayed it away from goal, you could see the smile a few seconds later: great attitude. Even the best can't avoid stuff ups, takes it in his stride and moves on to the next contest.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I also liked it when he completely f***ed up a kick, I think in the Grand Final, and sprayed it away from goal, you could see the smile a few seconds later: great attitude. Even the best can't avoid stuff ups, takes it in his stride and moves on to the next contest.
Yeah, that was the from the boundary. ...... it was like someone had called him a smartarse and he just gave them that cheeky grin as if it never happened.
I heard Barrett carrying on pre grand final that it's a disgrace the media don't get unfettered access to the players for interviews and he singled out Dustin to make his point.
For me, part of his absolute charm is he doesn't crawl over other blokes for media attention and lets his football do his talking! (sorry for the cliché!)
If the only time Dustin ever speaks is post premiership press conferences..... well that'll do me:cupgold

• Love

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

You lucky bastard @BrisTiger24

Probably been posted before, but who doesn't like watching the 2016 Charlie medallist hanging off Dustin on high rotation....... like the veritable cheap suit?:D

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I just loved the way he read the play and held back for a split second to time intercepting the handball. You could see it coming, the Geelong players probably saw it coming even in the heat of the moment, but how do you stop it happening?

The way he can get the ball in congestion and work free to make a meaningful disposal is poetry in motion.

He can see opportunities quickly, he can work out the best option and has the skill to take advantage. Smart footballer with ridiculous skills, quite the combination.

DS

Yeah! The Tackle on 'Blivass the athlete'
Maybe if Geelong stopped drafting Marathon runnrrs, hurdles and Kayakers they might have a chance of winning a flag. He wasn't the only one,
Stanley is the biggest Dud in the comp. He will be remembered for that dropped mark and the pathetic effort to stop Dusty for the next 100 years.
Phil Tufnell would've marked it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users