Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
It's a bit similar to Warne in the Australian team. He would have been the best captain Australian cricket has ever seen but he didn't have the right off-field personality for the job.

Did that mean he had any less input into the way the side prepared and played or didn't speak his mind tactically and have a huge say on what happened on the field? Absolutely not.

Love the stories of Warne getting Pizza's delivered to ACB dinners in the Flowerdrum. The theme of leadership now is be your authentic self. For better or worse Warne never deviated from that. Same with Dusty, he will lead but his way, not in a front the media spokesman type way.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah, Warne would have been a great captain. Pretty sure he stood in for 10 ODIs in 1998/99 when Waugh was injured and went 10-0.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigeronprowl

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Dec 30, 2002
I think the club will offer Dusty the captaincy out of respect, but knowing that he will decline. No good just offering it to another player without offering it to him first. Dusty's loyalty and outstanding performances to drive our team to ongoing success demands that he is offered the captaincy. You can see that he is loved and respected by all his teammates and i have no doubt that they would get behind him if he was offered and accepted the role. But i agree with all of you in that i don't think he would accept the captaincy for all the reasons you have mentioned. I just think the club offering him the captaincy would be the right thing to do even if they know he will refuse it.

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Just saw the new Dusty Ad for Kayo.
Great ad alongside Cam Munster from the Storm.
And Huddo with the special comments.
Then Dusty goes to sleep in his Richmond jumper.
Hollywood awaits, Dusty.

Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yeah, he would be just about the most genuine bloke in the history of elite sport I reckon. People who know him say there is zero difference between Warne circa 1991 and Warne now. For better or worse, he is who he is.

The commentary Warne gives a good insight into him I think. Chat non-stop and in between listing his best pizza toppings and ultimate 1980s playlist, comes a rare piece of cricket insight that makes you wonder how you never realised it before.
not sure about his commentary, but i reckon Warne is a bit attention seeking with a bit of his media work. He likes to make bug statements that he knows wont be tested, like so player with 2 shield matches should be picked for the test team.
to keep it relevant to the thread, i doubt Dusty will ever be such a media performer.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I'd never get a job in advertising I cannot understand the concept of these ads at all. Apart from getting Dusty to do some funny *smile*.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I agree TM but I think he would hate it and be no chance to agree to it. Right now the only media he does is mandatory or if he is flogging something. I can't remember the last time he did a one on one of any substance even though everyone is chasing him all the time. After the game on the ground the TV station can pick anyone and they have to speak so he can't dodge that one but you don't often find him doing much else, even the in-club stuff.

I think the Captain has to be available once a fortnight for a press conference but they also do a stack of other speaking to coteries, sponsors, the board and drive a lot of the meetings.

I'd be pretty sure if you asked Dustin to list the things he most hates in footy, those things would all be at the top of the list.
Richo I think you are missing the point. Everyone seems to think they know what Dusty would and would not like, what would or would not be good for him.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
That's true but in my case I have had a conversation with him about it, albeit quite some time ago now.
Well that’s a fair basis for your comments.
But imo he is the best player to play for our club in the 60 plus years I have been a supporter.

Part of that is the way he focuses on bringing team mates into the game and part of it has to do with knowing when to use his own skills to press for an advantage, and doing just that.
He is just a brilliant footballer and part of that also has to do with the way handles footy off the ground.

I also sense that his close relationship with his captain and his coach over the last 4 years in particular, has been instrumental in his improvement. It wouldn’t surprise if his attitude to leadership has now changed.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Caught up with a very good mate of Dusty’s today ( who was a fairly handy player himself )
Reckons Dusty is in the best condition he’s ever been in and has had 1 drink in the last 12 months.
I asked him about leadership aspirations and he reckons he’s the spiritual on field leader anyway but can’t see him being interested.
When I asked him about succeeding Cotchy, he reminded me that Dusty is only a year younger!!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users