Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Well I suppose the likes of Gary Lyon and Brad Johnson will be happy, Lachie Neale was held onto all night when he didn't have the ball, the same thing will happen to Dusty tomorrow because they've been calling for it all week.

If he does get a heavy tag, I'd love nothing more than to see Dusty spend most of the game forward and kick 6. That might even be enough to get that smirk off Lyon's face.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Well I suppose the likes of Gary Lyon and Brad Johnson will be happy, Lachie Neale was held onto all night when he didn't have the ball, the same thing will happen to Dusty tomorrow because they've been calling for it all week.

If he does get a heavy tag, I'd love nothing more than to see Dusty spend most of the game forward and kick 6. That might even be enough to get that smirk off Lyon's face.

It's an absolute Monty isn't it. But we know what happens then. Dusty will kick 6.

Reactions: 1 user

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Part of the problem for the opposition us that our midfield is deep. If you do put so much into Dusty what happens if Shai or Presti or Sheds get loose and start having a party! You tighten up on them and then Dusty does what Dusty does. This is what idiots like Lyon fail to understand.

Reactions: 1 users

Pandaboy

Tiger Superstar
Mar 27, 2009
Dont think clarkson typically belives in tags given u are essentially sacrificing one of ypur own mids to curtail another.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Is there a better big-game player in the AFL? Picture: Getty Images
Is there a better big-game player in the AFL? Picture: Getty Images
That question should really be has there ever been a better big moment player in AFL history?

Today wasn't a big game, but Dusty settled it early in the last. He's done that in more games than any other player I've ever seen in my lifetime.

I noticed he was a bit shitty with a couple of players for not kicking it to him one out in the last, he threw his hands up a few times. Pretty rare for him to be so demonstrative. He really wants to leave an unsurpassable legacy.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
That question should really be has there ever been a better big moment player in AFL history?

Today wasn't a big game, but Dusty settled it early in the last. He's done that in more games than any other player I've ever seen in my lifetime.

I noticed he was a bit shitty with a couple of players for not kicking it to him one out in the last, he threw his hands up a few times. Pretty rare for him to be so demonstrative. He really wants to leave an unsurpassable legacy.
I think he was actually talking to the umps

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
First qtr members side Dusty was corralled but snuck in an underground handball down the boundary line towards Baker (I think) where the second bounce came up almost vertical into the running Bakers lap. Dustys ball control is so freakish - its fair to rule out fluke.

Reactions: 11 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
First qtr members side Dusty was corralled but snuck in an underground handball down the boundary line towards Baker (I think) where the second bounce came up almost vertical into the running Bakers lap. Dustys ball control is so freakish - its fair to rule out fluke.
Yep..... that ball went the equivalent distance of 6 Mitchell possessions!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
The obsession in shutting him down from the media , could work to our advantage ,

Sometimes coaches , players can not help but be influenced by the narrative ,

And if you keep telling someone don’t be scared of the bogeyman, what does it do ? it has a reverse effect

The more they think of us as a one man team the better for us imo

Reactions: 8 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The obsession in shutting him down from the media , could work to our advantage ,

Sometimes coaches , players can not help but be influenced by the narrative ,

And if you keep telling someone don’t be scared of the bogeyman, what does it do ? it has a reverse effect

The more they think of us as a one man team the better for us imo

Plus there's 3 reasons why it wont work, and coaches know it.

1. You simply cant put some plodder on the greatest player that ever lived and go 'stop him'. Lachy Neale? Tom Mitchell? yes. Dustin Martin? No.

2. Even if they did tag him with the only 2 players in his stratosphere, Bont or Fyfe, and they did curtail him, Dusty just saunters to Full Forward, where a tagger becomes a full back.

3. Even if 2. eventuated, and Bont or Fyfe curtail Dusty and stop him at fullback, the best opposition player is at fullback, and the opposition loses clearance and goal kicking power, and cotchy, $hai, dion and sheds run riot and Jack kicks 7.

It remind me a bit of the Billy Connelly gag,

before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. because then you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes ......

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Plus there's 3 reasons why it wont work, and coaches know it.

1. You simply cant put some plodder on the greatest player that ever lived and go 'stop him'. Lachy Neale? Tom Mitchell? yes. Dustin Martin? No.

2. Even if they did tag him with the only 2 players in his stratosphere, Bont or Fyfe, and they did curtail him, Dusty just saunters to Full Forward, where a tagger becomes a full back.

3. Even if 2. eventuated, and Bont or Fyfe curtail Dusty and stop him at fullback, the best opposition player is at fullback, and the opposition loses clearance and goal kicking power, and cotchy, $hai, dion and sheds run riot and Jack kicks 7.

It remind me a bit of the Billy Connelly gag,

before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. because then you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes ......

Correct. Its very very hard to find someone good enough, athletic enough and tall enough to man Dusty up.

Geelong went with O'Connor who is quick and also taller than Neale (hard to be shorter) which made it work.

Find me someone who is taller than Dusty, as quick and agile as him and then we can talk. The only way to stop him is to hold and hopefully the umps will then be looking.

The other thing that people forget is the quality of our midfield, the rhetoric that we are a one man team is just that. If they hold Dusty out, we push him forward and then they still have to deal with Prestia, Cotchin, Graham, Bolton etc. 2nd best midfielder for the Lions is Lyons.

Reactions: 1 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland

Garry Lyon was in commentary and jesus he said some inane crap. Lots of really broad, thoughtless comments, barely more insightful than the bloke that used to sit behind us and shout "Get it down our end!".

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users