Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Titus O'Reily in his round wrap said:

Dustin Martin seems to be trying to clock Goal Assists this season just for something to do

Still has me chuckling

Reactions: 6 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Dustin Martin seems to be trying to clock Goal Assists this season just for something to do

Still has me chuckling
Ha ha yeah thought the same thing watching the game. I can immediately think of 2 goals he should have kicked himself but chose to give off and I reckon there was more. It's almost like he is bored with kicking goals and wants to create a new record for goal assists :mhihi

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Ha ha yeah thought the same thing watching the game. I can immediately think of 2 goals he should have kicked himself but chose to give off and I reckon there was more. It's almost like he is bored with kicking goals and wants to create a new record for goal assists :mhihi

Said to my mate that Dusty backed himself at under 1.5 goals for the game, such was his unselfishness. :mhihi

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Still has me chuckling
In his unhelpful guide I think he said they need a new league that is above the AFL for Dusty to play in.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Still has me chuckling
I turned to my brother during the game and said, remember that year LeBron decided to lead the NBA for assists just to show he could? It felt like Dusty was thinking similarly.

Reactions: 3 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
It's probably the only league record he hasn't broken yet.
Agree with Titus!

But Dusty knows his footy and is aware of the records and the narratives that matter.
Reckon he's doing his bit towards getting Jack to 700 goals. Unselfish champion is Dusty. Reckon Jack knows it too.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Agree with Titus!

But Dusty knows his footy and is aware of the records and the narratives that matter.
Reckon he's doing his bit towards getting Jack to 700 goals. Unselfish champion is Dusty. Reckon Jack knows it too.
He’s costing me big time in my dream team competition by being unselfish and and not kicking the goals himself.............. the selfish bastard :))

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I thought there was only 1 goal where Dusty was takin the *smile* and should've slotted it himself. The others were all pretty legit guy in better possie.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
I thought there was only 1 goal where Dusty was takin the *smile* and should've slotted it himself. The others were all pretty legit guy in better possie.
Stands out in other teams how much players DON’T do this in general. Clear competitive edge for us. Reckon it would cost us 1 a week where we over share (see Riewoldt not snapping 20m out) but makes us 2-3 better.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Stands out in other teams how much players DON’T do this in general. Clear competitive edge for us. Reckon it would cost us 1 a week where we over share (see Riewoldt not snapping 20m out) but makes us 2-3 better.
We don't eff around when the heat is on. Our decision making around goal is awesome. Cept George. How do I make that run away emoji?

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
It remind me a bit of the Billy Connelly gag,

before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. because then you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes ......
Love the Big Yin. Funniest man on the planet. :D

Reactions: 2 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Correct. Its very very hard to find someone good enough, athletic enough and tall enough to man Dusty up.

Geelong went with O'Connor who is quick and also taller than Neale (hard to be shorter) which made it work.

Find me someone who is taller than Dusty, as quick and agile as him and then we can talk. The only way to stop him is to hold and hopefully the umps will then be looking.

The other thing that people forget is the quality of our midfield, the rhetoric that we are a one man team is just that. If they hold Dusty out, we push him forward and then they still have to deal with Prestia, Cotchin, Graham, Bolton etc. 2nd best midfielder for the Lions is Lyons.
How the media could look at what O'Connor did and find that positive is beyond me. All the vision of his contests with Neale showed him either with his back to the ball and impeding access to the contest or clearly holding Neale without possession.

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
How the media could look at what O'Connor did and find that positive is beyond me. All the vision of his contests with Neale showed him either with his back to the ball and impeding access to the contest or clearly holding Neale without possession.
I'm sure Chris Fagan feels exactly the same way as you Jason, so hopefully by the time we play Geelong the added umpire attention will have the cats giving up on that tactic. On one hand the narrative is we want the best players allowed to showcase their skills and the next is how do we stop them - or more particularly how do we stop Dustin Martin!

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
'Unnecessary assists' might cost us a goal once in a while, but they also foster confidence in teammates and encourage a culture of selflessness. It's impossible to measure how many goals we score from the added confidence and culture of selflessness.

Jack must feel pretty good sitting on 8 goals and 2nd in the Coleman.

Agree 100%. For example, Shai Bolton passed it off in a tight Grand Final, but in a different system he might’ve been encouraged to take a shot from the boundary.

The commentators love to highlight it when it doesn’t come off - but there’s a similar or higher chance the kicker will miss it himself anyway.

It’s a competitive advantage, but one of those ones that feels worse than it is. There are moments in games that feel like huge mistakes, but they’re not. Dimma is very reasonable about those moments IMO.

Last edited:

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I'm sure Chris Fagan feels exactly the same way as you Jason, so hopefully by the time we play Geelong the added umpire attention will have the cats giving up on that tactic. On one hand the narrative is we want the best players allowed to showcase their skills and the next is how do we stop them - or more particularly how do we stop Dustin Martin!

I hope so amc11! Im feeling as old as Fagan looks anyway :rotfl2

I have never liked taggers as it flies in the face of what the game is about in my opinion. There should not be a separate set of rules for mids and fwds, defenders. It's either holding the man or it's not.

I don't remember this sort of trial by media for Gary jnr in an attempt to have him fail. Shouldn't everyone just enjoy great players doing their thing?