Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Thanks TBV, good interview.

As a past chair of a Chamber of Commerce in Asia (obviously different to AFL Chair), i found it interesting he acknowledged many people at RFC but didn't mention Peggy...

Gary from all accounts is a ripping bloke and he by his own words employed the vast majority of those still around today that built and contributed to our recent success, should be more widely thanked and celebrated imo.
March was instrumental in Peggy getting the presidency. When he left he anointed Peggy as the next incumbent. He was super supportive of her on the board too.

Reactions: 1 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Its absurd that Paddy Diverwhack is an 8 x All Australian and Dusty is only 4 time. No one would pick PD over Dusty in their team.

Mind you, i reckon AA is rather lame anyway, but decisions like this make it even more so.

Thanks TBV, good interview.

As a past chair of a Chamber of Commerce in Asia (obviously different to AFL Chair), i found it interesting he acknowledged many people at RFC but didn't mention Peggy...

Gary from all accounts is a ripping bloke and he by his own words employed the vast majority of those still around today that built and contributed to our recent success, should be more widely thanked and celebrated imo.
was he pumping up those who often don't get praise ? Peggy & Benny are very visible

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The club has released a short Video of Peggy, Cotchin, Dimma, Dusty's dad, Griggy, Ralph Carr and his best mate wishing him all the best for his 250th.
Worth watching.
Pity the media hasn't noticed it.
Rather pulling themselves over the 300 games 70% loses with Nathan Jones.

Reactions: 1 user

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
"I'm looking at him from an outsider's perspective and thinking he's going to turn into a waddler," Brereton said on radio station SEN.
"He might still be a very good player, but he'll have to be a very good inside player."
"His currency right now, in relative terms to the market, is as good as it's ever going to be."

- D.Brereton, May 2010.

#neverforget
Which is why Permie doesn't work at clubland.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
"I'm looking at him from an outsider's perspective and thinking he's going to turn into a waddler," Brereton said on radio station SEN.
"He might still be a very good player, but he'll have to be a very good inside player."
"His currency right now, in relative terms to the market, is as good as it's ever going to be."

- D.Brereton, May 2010.

#neverforget
From vague, perhaps even really vague old fart memory. I think Dermie was comparing Dusty's physique n playing future, as somewhat similar to Nigel Lappin from Brisvegas, as one of those big arsed hard to shift inside midfielders. Thought that with his build at the time, he'd be more prone to run to chunky run slow waddler rather than svelte, ripped do it all superstar.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
From vague, perhaps even really vague old fart memory. I think Dermie was comparing Dusty's physique n playing future, as somewhat similar to Nigel Lappin from Brisvegas, as one of those big arsed hard to shift inside midfielders. Thought that with his build at the time, he'd be more prone to run to chunky run slow waddler rather than svelte, ripped do it all superstar.
yeah i was listening to that live ,

he thought he might end up slow and lack mobility , dermie has got a fair bit wrong over the years when he offers his opinions

but he is a good bloke away from his media work

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Gez this comparing of Petracca to him lol is laughable not even close to tieing Martin's shoe laces.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Gez this comparing of Petracca to him lol is laughable not even close to tieing Martin's shoe laces.

Yep havent listened to much media this week been to busy, also havent gone into PREs dusty vs tracca thread, its like comparing a crack in the wall to the grand canyon.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Great article in the age

I like the Craig Bradley stats who played for Carlton - played till nearly 39 years old for 375 games - something for Dusty to aim for.
Pretty sure Grandma Moses played 100 SANFL games before he even got to Carlscum. Certainly had one hell of a long career.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
250 games for a legend of the game.
Best player ive seen in over 45 years ive watching the game.
His impact in big games will never be surpassed.
Congratulations
Well I've been watching the tigers for over 60 years and it is hard to separate Dusty from Royce Hart who had a similar impact in finals and Grand finals in premiership seasons '67, '69, '73, '74. Well done Dusty on working hard to get really fit.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Great article in the age

I like the Craig Bradley stats who played for Carlton - played till nearly 39 years old for 375 games - something for Dusty to aim for.
Bradley never went for a contested ball in 370 of those games.
Typical Carlton receiver

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yes, a good article in The Age.

Points out how you have to have talent and then do a hell of a lot of work to get to superstar level. For all the public image (which is a bit thin because Martin seems to like it that way), Martin has to be one of the hardest working, most professional and selfless footballers going around. Despite his selflessness he still has amazing stats. It is part of what makes him so great.

So glad he plays for us, no idea how you would try and reduce his influence.

DS

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Confirmed concussion? Maybe just concerned he had a fracture? If x ray clear maybe, just maybe a chance

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
In his presser, Dimma has revealed that Dusty has been carrying a small foot injury for the past couple of weeks, which has impeded him.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I'm actually glad he's out. Needs a rest considering how many he's missed in his career. Also opens chances for the younger ones to step up.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I'm in IT and there was some doofus in the early 90s who predicted that the last mainframe would be switched off before the end of 1996.
They are still going strong.

That comment from Brereton about Martin's market value ... I remember him saying it, but was it really that early?
2010 was his first year. On May 28, Martin had played eight career games and was yet to play in a win.
Brereton, one of the worst predictions of all time:

Dermott Brereton clearly did not anticipate the ability of a young Dustin Martin in 2010. In just his first season as a Tiger, Martin reportedly had been given an offer of $2.4 Million from the burgeoning GWS franchise in 2010, an offer that Brereton urged him to take, claiming that the young Richmond midfielder would “turn into a waddler”

“He might still be a very good player, but he’ll have to be a very good inside player,” Brereton claimed.

“His currency right now, in relative terms to the market, is as good as it’s ever going to be.”