Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Tenacious

Tiger Champion
May 19, 2008
First qtr members side Dusty was corralled but snuck in an underground handball down the boundary line towards Baker (I think) where the second bounce came up almost vertical into the running Bakers lap. Dustys ball control is so freakish - its fair to rule out fluke.

Reactions: 11 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
First qtr members side Dusty was corralled but snuck in an underground handball down the boundary line towards Baker (I think) where the second bounce came up almost vertical into the running Bakers lap. Dustys ball control is so freakish - its fair to rule out fluke.
Yep..... that ball went the equivalent distance of 6 Mitchell possessions!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
The obsession in shutting him down from the media , could work to our advantage ,

Sometimes coaches , players can not help but be influenced by the narrative ,

And if you keep telling someone don’t be scared of the bogeyman, what does it do ? it has a reverse effect

The more they think of us as a one man team the better for us imo

Reactions: 8 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The obsession in shutting him down from the media , could work to our advantage ,

Sometimes coaches , players can not help but be influenced by the narrative ,

And if you keep telling someone don’t be scared of the bogeyman, what does it do ? it has a reverse effect

The more they think of us as a one man team the better for us imo

Plus there's 3 reasons why it wont work, and coaches know it.

1. You simply cant put some plodder on the greatest player that ever lived and go 'stop him'. Lachy Neale? Tom Mitchell? yes. Dustin Martin? No.

2. Even if they did tag him with the only 2 players in his stratosphere, Bont or Fyfe, and they did curtail him, Dusty just saunters to Full Forward, where a tagger becomes a full back.

3. Even if 2. eventuated, and Bont or Fyfe curtail Dusty and stop him at fullback, the best opposition player is at fullback, and the opposition loses clearance and goal kicking power, and cotchy, $hai, dion and sheds run riot and Jack kicks 7.

It remind me a bit of the Billy Connelly gag,

before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. because then you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes ......

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Plus there's 3 reasons why it wont work, and coaches know it.

1. You simply cant put some plodder on the greatest player that ever lived and go 'stop him'. Lachy Neale? Tom Mitchell? yes. Dustin Martin? No.

2. Even if they did tag him with the only 2 players in his stratosphere, Bont or Fyfe, and they did curtail him, Dusty just saunters to Full Forward, where a tagger becomes a full back.

3. Even if 2. eventuated, and Bont or Fyfe curtail Dusty and stop him at fullback, the best opposition player is at fullback, and the opposition loses clearance and goal kicking power, and cotchy, $hai, dion and sheds run riot and Jack kicks 7.

It remind me a bit of the Billy Connelly gag,

before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. because then you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes ......

Correct. Its very very hard to find someone good enough, athletic enough and tall enough to man Dusty up.

Geelong went with O'Connor who is quick and also taller than Neale (hard to be shorter) which made it work.

Find me someone who is taller than Dusty, as quick and agile as him and then we can talk. The only way to stop him is to hold and hopefully the umps will then be looking.

The other thing that people forget is the quality of our midfield, the rhetoric that we are a one man team is just that. If they hold Dusty out, we push him forward and then they still have to deal with Prestia, Cotchin, Graham, Bolton etc. 2nd best midfielder for the Lions is Lyons.

Reactions: 1 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is on board.
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland

Garry Lyon was in commentary and jesus he said some inane crap. Lots of really broad, thoughtless comments, barely more insightful than the bloke that used to sit behind us and shout "Get it down our end!".

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TigerPort

Tiger Superstar
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Titus O'Reily in his round wrap said:

Dustin Martin seems to be trying to clock Goal Assists this season just for something to do

Still has me chuckling

Reactions: 6 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Dustin Martin seems to be trying to clock Goal Assists this season just for something to do

Still has me chuckling
Ha ha yeah thought the same thing watching the game. I can immediately think of 2 goals he should have kicked himself but chose to give off and I reckon there was more. It's almost like he is bored with kicking goals and wants to create a new record for goal assists :mhihi

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Ha ha yeah thought the same thing watching the game. I can immediately think of 2 goals he should have kicked himself but chose to give off and I reckon there was more. It's almost like he is bored with kicking goals and wants to create a new record for goal assists :mhihi

Said to my mate that Dusty backed himself at under 1.5 goals for the game, such was his unselfishness. :mhihi

• Haha

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Still has me chuckling
In his unhelpful guide I think he said they need a new league that is above the AFL for Dusty to play in.

• Haha

spook

Tiger Legend
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Still has me chuckling
I turned to my brother during the game and said, remember that year LeBron decided to lead the NBA for assists just to show he could? It felt like Dusty was thinking similarly.

bob

Tiger Rookie
Mar 18, 2014
It's probably the only league record he hasn't broken yet.
Agree with Titus!

But Dusty knows his footy and is aware of the records and the narratives that matter.
Reckon he's doing his bit towards getting Jack to 700 goals. Unselfish champion is Dusty. Reckon Jack knows it too.