Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
To be fair to Derm, he wasn't wrong. ;)

I discount Bartlett because I don't like him so for me it is down to Royce Hart and Dustin.

I wasn't lucky enough to see Royce Hart play but I wonder if he just took games away from the opposition so often? And in the most important moments?
Spot on, TBR
Same for me.
It's the number fours on an equal footing.
I was fortunate to see all of Hart's career and he was an absolute gun champion who did win games off his own boot. Took himself and Richmond to great heights.
Now I am privileged to be watching another absolute gun champion in the Yellow and Black.
If Dusty wins Normie in the threepeat triumph then he will go to the top of the best list for me.
In the meantime, I'm just soaking it all in.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Must admit I had expected it to go to Dusty. Even after they announced Parish, I thought they were going to correct it.
This is what Shorty said (tongue in cheek): “I think he (Parish) is a well-deserving winner of the award. I suppose Dustin’s probably got enough awards that he can let Darcy have that one,” Short said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
His third goal was of a genius knowing his craft. As soon as he marked it he was playing out the next minute in his head. Directed Graham to provide the block and then turned and nailed the goal.
The man just does the big things time and time again.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Parish type midfielders are dime a dozen. They rack up the stats but their hurt factor is nullified because they don’t hit the scoreboard.
Give me Martins 27 touches 3 goal output any day of the week.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Metres gained figure is a bit suss. Is it a direct line to goal or does a 50m kick across the ground count as 50 or nothing. And if it is nothing then how do the calculate kicks on an angle and if they are taken from a flank or from the corridor.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Metres gained figure is a bit suss. Is it a direct line to goal or does a 50m kick across the ground count as 50 or nothing. And if it is nothing then how do the calculate kicks on an angle and if they are taken from a flank or from the corridor.
I imagine it’s not an exact science, it’ll be the stats guys estimating distances. Pretty sure it’s forward metres gained so backwards metres are deducted.

edit: here’s an article on the topic explaining better. https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ned-breaking-afl-most-misunderstood-statistic

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

does the meter go backwards on a backwards kick?

Last edited:

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I imagine it’s not an exact science, it’ll be the stats guys estimating distances. Pretty sure it’s forward metres gained so backwards metres are deducted.

edit: here’s an article on the topic explaining better. https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ned-breaking-afl-most-misunderstood-statistic
Still a bit vague. Is it directly down the ground or towards the goals mouth You need to apply pythagoras theorem to each kick.

does the meter go backwards on a backwards kick?
Apparently yes.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
This is what Shorty said (tongue in cheek): “I think he (Parish) is a well-deserving winner of the award. I suppose Dustin’s probably got enough awards that he can let Darcy have that one,” Short said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
Hey Shorty, where’s my watch?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Parish type midfielders are dime a dozen. They rack up the stats but their hurt factor is nullified because they don’t hit the scoreboard.
Give me Martins 27 touches 3 goal output any day of the week.
Yeah it was a bit like the last H&A game of the 2019 season. Lachie Neale had over 50 possessions and got 3 Brownlow votes. Dusty had 22 and kicked 4 goals and had a much greater influence on the game. Was clearly BOG in the eyes of anyone who understands the game. Plus we won by 5 goals.

That said I thought Parish was BOG last night. He had a great game and was probably the main reason they stayed in the game. I thought Dusty was good last night but had Shai and Jack G just ahead of him. I probably mark him too harshly.

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah it was a bit like the last H&A game of the 2019 season. Lachie Neale had over 50 possessions and got 3 Brownlow votes. Dusty had 22 and kicked 4 goals and had a much greater influence on the game. Was clearly BOG in the eyes of anyone who understands the game. Plus we won by 5 goals.

That said I thought Parish was BOG last night. He had a great game and was probably the main reason they stayed in the game. I thought Dusty was good last night but had Shai and Jack G just ahead of him. I probably mark him too harshly.

Yeah. We are so spoilt with Dusty winning us grand finals that we consider a 22 disp 3 goal H&A game nothing special.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
FWIW, I thought Parish deserved the medal.

People who think that Dusty had a greater impact on the game overlook what Parish did to even make the game a contest.

He was basically their midfield from the moment McGrath went off injured. Merrett did some stuff, but without Parish, the Bombers were looking at an absolute hiding.

And I thought he did what he did with little ruck support. The ruck stats were relatively even, but I thought our tandem of Chol and CCJ did a great job, where as Phillips was largely ineffective.