Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
FWIW, I thought Parish deserved the medal.
Not saying it was a terrible decision. Just that when you lose by 40-odd, it's a little bit like Robert Walls giving the 3-2-1 to Freo when they lost by 80.

I guess it comes down to your definition of "best", and whether it's aligned with most prolific or most influential.

FWIW I noticed Merrett more. Was watching for mistakes after someone said last week he's the best user in the game. There weren't many.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
So we have confirmation that footy journos troll richmond people for clicks and traffic.

leaving dusty out of their mid season AA?

if they were legit, you could remove their brain, and theyde still write D.Martin first

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I wouldn't have Dusty in to the half way mark, so I don't think it's trolling at all. I'd find it hard to make the case for any Tiger this year, to this point.
He hasn't been anywhere near consistently influential like he can. He has had some breathtaking games, but not enough wait of numbers across the season.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I wouldn't have Dusty in to the half way mark, so I don't think it's trolling at all. I'd find it hard to make the case for any Tiger this year, to this point.
He hasn't been anywhere near consistently influential like he can. He has had some breathtaking games, but not enough wait of numbers across the season.

You thinking of a career change General?

Stats aren't needed, but Dusty is exceeding his career averages in every measure in his 11 games so far this season.

He is in career best H&A form.

so, the best player of all-time, in career best form,

can't crack the best 22?

:rotfl1

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Stats aren't needed, but Dusty is exceeding his career averages in every measure in his 11 games so far this season.

can't crack the best 22?

Just because he's exceeding career averages doesn't mean he's in career-best form.

You'd have to compare this year to 2017.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Just look at the coaches votes. He's top ten. Can't leave him out of the AA.
No chance he will ever be left out again. He made the AA selectors look so stupid in 2019 when they didn't pick him that they'll never do that again. He's a chance to be made AA Captain soon.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Just because he's exceeding career averages doesn't mean he's in career-best form.

You'd have to compare this year to 2017.

I think he's in career best form.

note the use of the phrase 'stats aren't needed' in previous post.

but even if hes not in career best form, which some would legitimately think is the case,

leaving him out of AA is clearly trolling

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I think he's in career best form.

note the use of the phrase 'stats aren't needed' in previous post.

but even if hes not in career best form, which some would legitimately think is the case,

leaving him out of AA is clearly trolling

If stats aren't needed, don't use stats in a faulty way to support that argument.

He's not in career best form IMO. But I've seen him step up and win games for us this year for sure.

Does he deserve AA at this point in the season? Dunno, haven't seen enough of other games. Or other players.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If stats aren't needed, don't use stats in a faulty way to support that argument.

nothing faulty about that use of stats whatsoever.

to recap, I said Dustys stats are above career average across the board after 11 games, suggesting hes in career best form, not that we really need stats to interpret Dustys game. He hasn't had an average career, so if hes above his average, hes going good, yes?

Q: how can that be construed as faulty interpretation?

if I had said Dustys stats are 50% down on 2017 therefore hes clearly in career best form, that would be statistical misuse.

but a review of the stats, and yeah, the 2017 H&A numbers are superior.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
nothing faulty about that use of stats whatsoever.

to recap, I said Dustys stats are above career average across the board after 11 games, suggesting hes in career best form, not that we really need stats to interpret Dustys game. He hasn't had an average career, so if hes above his average, hes going good, yes?

Q: how can that be construed as faulty interpretation?

To be in career best form this year he has to be better than his previous best year, so in this case he has to be going better than 2017.

Career average does not equal career best. Career average is that average of all his games over his whole career. So you can be above your average but still not your best.

It's really not that complicated EZ, I'm starting to worry about your cognitive processes right now

if I had said Dustys stats are 50% down on 2017 therefore hes clearly in career best form, that would be statistical misuse.

That's pretty much what you are saying dude.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
To be in career best form this year he has to be better than his previous best year, so in this case he has to be going better than 2017.

Career average does not equal career best. Career average is that average of all his games over his whole career. So you can be above your average but still not your best.

It's really not that complicated EZ, I'm starting to worry about your cognitive processes right now

yeah fair enough

you're right.

I should have stated

, My eyes suggest he is in career best home and away form and the stats dont make a compelling case that I am wrong. (but they do make a pretty good case, so I just refute stats more :cool: )

But I stand firmly that,

to suggest he isnt amongst the best 22 Australian Footballers in the world right now, on form, is entirely ludicrous

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
yeah fair enough

you're right.

I should have stated

, My eyes suggest he is in career best home and away form and the stats dont make a compelling case that I am wrong. (but they do make a pretty good case, so I just refute stats more :cool: )

That's much better. for a minute I thought I was arguing with L2R2R there :D

• Haha

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Dustin Martin is clearly down on form and doesn't deserve to be in Mike Sheahan's top 50 footballers. not now, not ever

• Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
FWIW, I thought Parish deserved the medal.

People who think that Dusty had a greater impact on the game overlook what Parish did to even make the game a contest.

He was basically their midfield from the moment McGrath went off injured. Merrett did some stuff, but without Parish, the Bombers were looking at an absolute hiding.

And I thought he did what he did with little ruck support. The ruck stats were relatively even, but I thought our tandem of Chol and CCJ did a great job, where as Phillips was largely ineffective.
it could have gone to Dusty, but Parish was a worthy winner. When they started I going on about how many disposals he had i thought "who cares" we are winning easy, and he is just doing a Tom Mitchell, but then I paid more attention and he was both getting his own ball, and getting into good possessions to receive it. He played a very good game. The bombers lost easy, but there is a good argument he was BOG, and the rest of the team was too ordinary.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004

can't crack the best 22?

I think Dusty's had some absolutely scintillating blinders this year. He's also had some games where he has been below his best. 2017 he was amazing across the elite year apart from an odd rare blemish.
In your rush to criticise, you've missed the point. Consistently influential.
He hasn't been consistent this first half of the year. Others, I feel, have been. Are they as talented? no. Will they still be doing this at seasons end? Who knows.
But I'm not about to be parochial for the sake of it.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I’m sure the real AA selectors will find a spot for him even if they squeeze him on to the bench.