Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I was talking to an Essendon supporter friend this morning about the ridiculously high bar we set for Dusty.
He said that his feeling Dusty was not as influential as usual against them and after the game looked at the stats and saw he had 27 and kicked 3. His comment was that supporters of other teams measure him against a level which is not fair.
To me that’s what the media does as well. Dusty has been very good this year but he has at times not been to his very high standard so he gets marked down.

Reactions: 11 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I was talking to an Essendon supporter friend this morning about the ridiculously high bar we set for Dusty.
He said that his feeling Dusty was not as influential as usual against them and after the game looked at the stats and saw he had 27 and kicked 3. His comment was that supporters of other teams measure him against a level which is not fair.
To me that’s what the media does as well. Dusty has been very good this year but he has at times not been to his very high standard so he gets marked down.
Dusty's stats:

27d (16/11) 3 goals, 3 tackles. 52% disposal efficiency 10 contested possessions, 9 turnovers, 2 intercepts 6 score involvements, 4 marks, 14 pressure acts, 426 metres gained, 5 clearances, 4 I50, 1 Free against

For me, the bit that stands out is the 9 turnovers and metres gained.
For the amount of disposals, he didn't do much damage. On average his disposals went 15m, or 23m if you remove the turnovers from the disposals.

Bolton:
21d (11/10) 3 goals, 1 tackle, 91% disposal efficiency, 8 contested, 4 turnovers, 2 intercepts, 8 score involvements, 5 marks, 16 pressure acts 425m gained, 3 clearances, 7 I50, 2 FF, 1 FA

I appreciate that we've changed gamestyle, but the hurt factor wasn't there from Dusty. Look at Bolton, he did just as much, (18 effective disposals v 17) but we aren't celebrating him in the same way we are Dusty. I think because of Dusty's reputation he gets more plaudits than he deserves sometimes too, or at least, people don't recognise others who contribute to the same level.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Dusty's stats:

27d (16/11) 3 goals, 3 tackles. 52% disposal efficiency 10 contested possessions, 9 turnovers, 2 intercepts 6 score involvements, 4 marks, 14 pressure acts, 426 metres gained, 5 clearances, 4 I50, 1 Free against

For me, the bit that stands out is the 9 turnovers and metres gained.
For the amount of disposals, he didn't do much damage. On average his disposals went 15m, or 23m if you remove the turnovers from the disposals.

Bolton:
21d (11/10) 3 goals, 1 tackle, 91% disposal efficiency, 8 contested, 4 turnovers, 2 intercepts, 8 score involvements, 5 marks, 16 pressure acts 425m gained, 3 clearances, 7 I50, 2 FF, 1 FA

I appreciate that we've changed gamestyle, but the hurt factor wasn't there from Dusty. Look at Bolton, he did just as much, (18 effective disposals v 17) but we aren't celebrating him in the same way we are Dusty. I think because of Dusty's reputation he gets more plaudits than he deserves sometimes too, or at least, people don't recognise others who contribute to the same level.
Wasn’t really comparing him with Bolton but both were great on Saturday night but what they both have in common is the hurt factor and influence they have.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Have noticed this on this forum when people vote for player of the year each week. Players should get votes for the game played that particular round, not according to their ability over the course of their career and perceived expectations subject from their career to current

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I’m sure the real AA selectors will find a spot for him even if they squeeze him on to the bench.
The AA committee should be scrutinised by the AFL integrity commission for bringing the game into disrepute.
Dusty is their meal ticket and you’re happy with crumbs?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Yeah I agree General.

He played average games against Sydney, Port, Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane and Adelaide. Throw in the game he missed and that's 7/12 games he has been no more than serviceable. Hard to make a case for AA off that.

It's a bit the same for Bolton, has played well but also missed 2 games and may as well have not played Sydney. Already that's a quarter of the season so far he has had zero impact.

I'd expect both those guys to be in the mix at the end of the year when the sample size is more spread but it wouldn't surprise me if there are players with more consistent seasons thus far.
Dusty would comfortably sit within the top 22 for the Brownlow atm.
He may not have been as consistently unbelievable as in previous years, but he’s torn games apart like no others in many games. If that doesn’t qualify you, what does? Consistently good?

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Yeah I agree General.

He played average games against Sydney, Port, Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane and Adelaide. Throw in the game he missed and that's 7/12 games he has been no more than serviceable. Hard to make a case for AA off that.

It's a bit the same for Bolton, has played well but also missed 2 games and may as well have not played Sydney. Already that's a quarter of the season so far he has had zero impact.

I'd expect both those guys to be in the mix at the end of the year when the sample size is more spread but it wouldn't surprise me if there are players with more consistent seasons thus far.
10th in the coaches award so yeah ordinary year for Dusty.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I reckon the champ is carrying an injury. He wasn't himself again tonight.
If it wasn't for the fact that we are desperate for wins he would be rested.
Some talk of a foot injury.
Agree with some here that he has been uncharacteristically inconsistent.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I reckon the champ is carrying an injury. He wasn't himself again tonight.
If it wasn't for the fact that we are desperate for wins he would be rested.
Some talk of a foot injury.
Agree with some here that he has been uncharacteristically inconsistent.
Don't think so. Thought he was one of the few trying. Was quick across the ground.

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Don't think so. Thought he was one of the few trying. Was quick across the ground.
Agree one of the few giving his all. The bloke is human. We expect too much of him. He gets thrown around to fill our deficiencies.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dimma often says that it is the players around Dustin who enable him to play the way he does. With everyone around him playing so badly and with so little energy, he can't play his usual role. Star players need others to be doing their job or they end up trying to do both jobs.

The very best players need to take risks and create because they can, and at a level others can't. But this is a team game and without the rest of the team playing well the opportunity to turn things around, to do those special things we know Dustin can do along with very few others, is no longer there. The impossible is no longer possible without some support.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
At this stage of his career he should be playing up forward like Riccuito did at the end of his career. We got no one who can replace him who is resilient enough.

We risk burning him out, but then again how long does he want to play for?