Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Robbo: Can Dusty get to Christian Petracca’s level?

HeraldSun
17 March 2022

Christian Petracca had 20 disposals and a goal at halftime and finished with 38 and two goals.

He has been compared to Dustin Martin and now it’s probably fair to ask: Can Dusty get to Petracca’s level?

That’s no disrespect to Dusty, for he probably is the best player this century, but that is a question in reference to last year then Wednesday night.

Martin was injured last year and the footy world looks forward to seeing what he can do against Carlton on Thursday night.

Right now, Petracca is the clubhouse leader.

He has set a lofty bar and surely it’s time opposition coaches don’t allow him to sit off the contest like he does and dominate.

Steve May told Fox Footy after the game that when he saw on the scoreboard Petracca had 37 possessions, he asked Naughton: Why don’t you tag him? May revealed Naughton said: “Nuh, we don’t tag.’’

Will every team have the same philosophy? If yes, then Petracca is going to love footy this season.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/f524fcb2ae4f0ca66826fdaffbebc4a9
Robbo has got the question arse about.

He should be asking whether Petracca will ever be rated as great as Dusty by getting his numbers up to what Dusty's (3 Norm Smith Medal) are.

Dusty has got almost 1 Brownlow vote for every game played, Petracca less than half. After 4 seasons Dusty had 39 Brownlow votes, Petracca had 5.

Dusty spends time in the midfield and forward, yet still averages more clearances and goals a game than Petracca.

I thought Robbo would be off the grog after his health scare. Looks like he's still writing articles from home while on the sauce.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Robbo has got the question arse about.

He should be asking whether Petracca will ever be rated as great as Dusty by getting his numbers up to what Dusty's (3 Norm Smith Medal) are.

Dusty has got almost 1 Brownlow vote for every game played, Petracca less than half. After 4 seasons Dusty had 39 Brownlow votes, Petracca had 5.

Dusty spends time in the midfield and forward, yet still averages more clearances and goals a game than Petracca.

I thought Robbo would be off the grog after his health scare. Looks like he's still writing articles from home while on the sauce.
I'm starting to wonder if it's brain surgery he did and not heart.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
We have the most supporters.

Outrage sells.

Write something disrespecting dusty.

Sell newspapers.

Don’t feed the troll.

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Fancy getting booed by that scum. This bloke has won more Norm Smiths than their entire team has played finals.

Reactions: 9 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Fancy getting booed by that scum. This bloke has won more Norm Smiths than their entire team has played finals.

Just a chance to give it back to an old tormentor. They would still have nightmares of him tearing them a new one every round one game for the last 7 years.

We really should have played him in the midfield once Prestia went down though.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I couldn’t believe it.
And they booed Grimes when he came off after a heavy collision in a marking contest.
Disgraceful.
I’ve got a long memory. I’ll never forgive the scumbags

Reactions: 4 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
As our midield drops away, his lack of defence will stand out a little more.

It's become pretty obvious now. He also almost never gets near a centre tap as well.

I'm of the belief he shouldn't be playing full time or even majority time as a mid. He should be up forward kicking 50 goals a year to elongate his career. He has done enough in the guts for us.

But the cupboard is full of about to expire tins of ham and some baby carrots.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
No doubt. We hugely missed the run of the players that cover for his lack of two way running. Lambert & McIntosh in particular have been vital to the way we play. Was worried when they weren't there. We can really get exposed & we were.
I know Dimma would like to play Dusty in the midfield more but it's been some time since he was a full time midfielder with occassional stints up forward.

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
Dustin Martin is the best Richmond player I have seen. But he needs co-stars to do the dirty work to be his best (as with every other all time great in every sport). No coincidence he was at the peak of his powers when Lambert, Prestia, Edwards and B Ellis did a lot of the defensive running for the team and for Dusty. With those 4 no longer providing that run (especially Lambert) we need new defensive runners. Will Dusty get back to his absolute best...I think no. Will Dusty still be in the best 5% of players over the next 3 years...I think yes.

Reactions: 1 user

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
No doubt. We hugely missed the run of the players that cover for his lack of two way running. Lambert & McIntosh in particular have been vital to the way we play. Was worried when they weren't there. We can really get exposed & we were.
I know Dimma would like to play Dusty in the midfield more but it's been some time since he was a full time midfielder with occassional stints up forward.
Basically just said the same thing.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Agree, but he's so good going the other way it shouldn't matter. His other far less illustrious colleagues should be stepping into the breach and they haven't.

Reactions: 1 users