Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
If they’d done the two quick questions it would been like ‘Happy to be back?’
‘Yeah’
‘How do you feel?’
‘Great.’
Really worth all the angst, eh? Then Knobbo and his poison pen would have been writing about how Martin doesn’t give enough in interviews.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
If they’d done the two quick questions it would been like ‘Happy to be back?’
‘Yeah’
‘How do you feel?’
‘Great.’
Really worth all the angst, eh? Then Knobbo and his poison pen would have been writing about how Martin doesn’t give enough in interviews.
Spot on Carn. Morons.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Are we short of some unpopular opinions? Like Robbo is spot on, Dustin should have done an interview.

It's Sarah Jones, not Jana Wendt. When a million of your 1.2 this year comes from media money, the least you can do is give a quick 'good to be back, proud of the boys, thanks fans for the support' and be on your way.

By the way, Fox have actually handled themselves very well here. It's a contractual obligation for every player to be available for an on-ground interview after the game (which is why that's the only place you ever hear our man talk), so if they kicked up instead of taking it in good humour I'm sure there would be a pretty decent fine attached to saying no.

Now back to the shadows. :ninja:
I agree clubs and players do owe fox in that sense, but i reckon to in this case they should understand and respect that Martin didnt want to talk, which it does seem, from afar, they did.
how long Dusty can refuse an on-field interview im not sure tho.

Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
When your recovering from a close family member passing and still dealing with the grief would you appreciate a microphone being shoved in your face by the same mob that followed you around and papped you in Sydney whilst trying to recover?

These are the same campaigners that decided it was in the publics interest to publish the story about his Dad on the eve of his comeback. I'd be surprised if he ever talks to Fox again.

Dusty owes these campaigners nothing and the fact he walked away from the Groupie's chase down tactics is a credit to him.

Reactions: 6 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
According to the CBA:

" A player MAY be requested by an AFL club to participate in post match, pre or post training interviews but shall not be directed by the AFL club to do a media interview during the players free time other than in accordance with clause 24.5"

So if I read this right unless the club directed Dusty to do a post match interview he hasn't breached any agreement. And I doubt the club directed him

Reactions: 4 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Wheatley and Robbo still pushing the narrative that Dusty should have spoken after the game.

They wanted him to thank the footy public for supporting him.

What a lot of BS.

The football public and in particular the AFL media should be thanking him. Because without him the game is worth a hell of a lot less.

Reactions: 7 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Wheatley and Robbo still pushing the narrative that Dusty should have spoken after the game.

What a lot of BS.

The football public and in particular the AFL media should be thanking him. Because without him the game is worth a hell of a lot less.
Jack's not on tonight.....unfortunately.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
According to the CBA:

" A player MAY be requested by an AFL club to participate in post match, pre or post training interviews but shall not be directed by the AFL club to do a media interview during the players free time other than in accordance with clause 24.5"

So if I read this right unless the club directed Dusty to do a post match interview he hasn't breached any agreement. And I doubt the club directed him
Depends what clause 24.5 says.

Regardless, common sense and decency says you leave him alone and he'll talk if and when he's ready.

Reactions: 6 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

What a lot of BS.

That little spiel on 360 was pathetic. More holes in their bs view than a piece of Swiss cheese. What a sour, menial pair.

Reactions: 11 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Regardless, common sense and decency says you leave him alone and he'll talk if and when he's ready.

This.

Give him some time and space, FFS what sort of emotional illiterate would think hassling someone returning from the death of their father is ok?

DS

Reactions: 5 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Depends what clause 24.5 says.

24.5: "In accordance with the AFL Broadcaster Policy 3 media interviews will count as 1 player appearance. These may be scheduled after March 1 without the necessary notice required of other appearances arranged after this time "

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

What a lot of BS.

Spot on, Aces. They should thank him for gracing the game. Who cares if he speaks to anyone before or after? His playing is what does his talking. Of course self important media types like Knobbo and Mince don’t get that. They don’t understand that the public want to see and appreciate the game, not listen to them pontificate on it and the players.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
This is why i dont watch these shows, as ive said previously you have 24/7 footy reporters (and to many of them) basically making up stuff and also adding their opinions to things, then they talk about that for a week, its absolutely pointless.

Rarely do they have real stories these days, most are opinion pieces and tbh id prefer to discuss with mates or read PRE then to listen to AFL lobbyists that get paid and told what is and isnt acceptable, complete waste of time.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I agree clubs and players do owe fox in that sense, but i reckon to in this case they should understand and respect that Martin didnt want to talk, which it does seem, from afar, they did.
how long Dusty can refuse an on-field interview im not sure tho.

That's the other point, he's now made a mountain out of a molehill. Next game we win every camera goes to him and they will be asking again and again until he does it, because now it is a bigger story. He's given the same three answers to every interview he's ever given anyway, best thing to do would have been to churn them out again and get it done.

People suggesting his mental health is a reason not to talk are off the mark. He isn't so fragile that the prospect of Sarah Jones asking if it was good to be back would pose a problem for him. The reasons he left the club are complex but it certainly wasn't because he had any sort of serious mental health issue or anything that would even remotely make it difficult to do an interview.

According to the CBA:

The three dressing rooms I have spent time in all had the same rule, if you are approached on the ground after a win you must do the interview.

I thought it was because of that part of the CBA, the clubs need the players to do those interviews because they can't compel them at enough other times to meet the quotas required. I think there's also something in there about access to players which requires players to be available at minimum levels so you can't just roll Jack Riewoldt out for every interview for example. I thought clubs got around that by everyone being available after each game.

I also always assumed Richmond had the same policy because Dustin does after game stops all the time and if he didn't have to he wouldn't.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
This.

Give him some time and space, FFS what sort of emotional illiterate would think hassling someone returning from the death of their father is ok?

DS
Agree.
It was the media that built this BS story up.
Second guess what he’s doing.

When will he come back?
Will he come back?
He’s gone back to Sydney.
He’ll ask to be traded to Sydney or GWS
He’s taking up boxing
Now he’s back at punt road.
He’ll play against the pies. We love him.

Dusty gives no interview after the game so he’s now an a-hole.

Dusty didn’t play the game and the media is pissed off.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Obviously we are biased here but I’d reckon most people would just go leave him alone. Robbo and Wheatley telling me that I needed to be thanked for supporting dusty as an rfc fan is just tone deaf IMO. Maybe they should ask the fans if we really give a crap or not.

I find these after match interviews on the ground pretty cringe and very contrived usually. Post ‘17GF though was great.

Just listening in to the song and general banter and emotions in the rooms way more compelling.

Reactions: 7 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
What exactly is he thanking the "footy community" for? What have they done for him?

I'm sure the club and team mates have supported him but presume that he would prefer to thank them directly rather than publicly through the media? He may not even be mentally ready to "thank" anyone yet which is also fine.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
After a Grand Final win, yeah, the interviews can be ok.

But I rarely watch them anyway, generally turn off at the end of the games I watch on TV, in any case I'm at most games so don't see the TV coverage.

There really is too much footy media and they struggle to fill the time, and it shows.

I know the AFL wants the 24/7 coverage but there is such a thing as over-exposure.

DS

Reactions: 3 users