Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Robbo and Wheatley telling me that I needed to be thanked for supporting dusty as an rfc fan is just tone deaf IMO. Maybe they should ask the fans if we really give a crap or not.
Tone deaf AF. What a company line toeing *smile* GW is. Justifying his bosses displeasure at being shunned by saying it was being disrespectful to us? Us fans? Telling us what we wanted Dusty to do? If Dusty doesn't feel like talking this fan is fine with that. What a patronising *smile* artist cokhead.

Whatever happened to being supported and comfortable in the workplace? Duty of care? Mental health awareness? All out the window apparently. They are full of *smile*.

Reactions: 9 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I am a little suprised at the media's carry on. Pretty obvious to give someone some space after they've been through a bit. And the media preach mental health and then carrry on when a guy wants to be left alone due to mental health.

Reactions: 10 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I am a little suprised at the media's carry on. Pretty obvious to give someone some space after they've been through a bit. And the media preach mental health and then carrry on when a guy wants to be left alone due to mental health.

Great point. The AFL virtue signal when it suits them, but the dollar is what speaks the loudest as usual.

Reactions: 6 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I reckon there is a streak of snobbishness and bullying about this too. If Danger or Hawkins were in the same situation it would be all kid gloves and give him all the room he needs. Dusty, and say Marlion, fair game, toughen-up, remember who's boss.

AFL culture still stinks.

Reactions: 7 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'm not.

We came out pretty strong early and pretty much told them if they chased the story they were pricks with no regards to people's mental health struggles. Jack put Scooter & Magoo in their places on their show, they didn't like it, but had to follow along.

So now the pile on starts.

I really don't understand how anyone rational can back the media here.

It was always a delicate situation. We were always massively guarded about Dusty stories for a reason. He's now coming back from whatever kept him away from the game and club he loves for 2 months. We tell the broadcaster *in advance* that Dusty won't be doing any media on his return match. Fox ignore what we tell them and try to grab him on the field to force him onto the camera. They fail. They then send down someone who they think can work his way to Dusty. They fail. Then they bleat about it.

As for giving Fox credit for not complaining to the AFL, how does anyone know they didn't? I would imagine the AFL were keeping close tabs on Dusty's return, talking to Richmond throughout. He's a massive AFL asset. Just as I would expect when Richmond told Fox there is no Dusty media for the weekend, they told all the media outlets they same thing. We wouldn't have made that statement to the media without at minimum looping in the AFL, if not consulting them first.

Reactions: 8 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I hope we keep telling the media to get stuffed and don't let Dusty do an interview all year.

Reactions: 8 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
getting told "no" is hard for the precious media.. they can't handle it..

they've lost their minds, they're in free fall..

this thing 360 have said about Dusty 'thanking the footy public' is disgraceful.

who do they think they are? Kingmakers? or the King?

F Off.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Obviously we are biased here but I’d reckon most people would just go leave him alone. Robbo and Wheatley telling me that I needed to be thanked for supporting dusty as an rfc fan is just tone deaf IMO. Maybe they should ask the fans if we really give a crap or not.

I find these after match interviews on the ground pretty cringe and very contrived usually. Post ‘17GF though was great.

Just listening in to the song and general banter and emotions in the rooms way more compelling.
Exactly right. I didn’t need Dustin to thank me nor hear him thank anyone else. He can thank anyone (or not), anytime he likes, where he likes.

That’s why I said last night Mince and Magoo were speaking utter manure ie by trying to tell me what I want hear. Goes to the ego of those two that they would.

Absolute garbage spiel from those two wankers.

Reactions: 5 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I'm not.

………..

As for giving Fox credit for not complaining to the AFL, how does anyone know they didn't? I would imagine the AFL were keeping close tabs on Dusty's return, talking to Richmond throughout. He's a massive AFL asset. Just as I would expect when Richmond told Fox there is no Dusty media for the weekend, they told all the media outlets they same thing. We wouldn't have made that statement to the media without at minimum looping in the AFL, if not consulting them first.

Agree totally - but FOX did complain to the AFL - they may or may not have complained directly to the AFL via phone, txt or letter, but they did worse, they complained via the papers through blobbos article of dislikes. That is the most effective way to complain, it’s direct, it’s public and they tried to shame Dusty and the RFC at the same time.

Fox don’t run footy thank god, they might pretend to, but I think they already have to much power.

Blobbo represents the worst kind of media - pretend to be nice, your friend, understanding but in reality, imo, is just after the story regardless of the fall out.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Blobbo represents the worst kind of media - pretend to be nice, your friend, understanding but in reality, imo, is just after the story regardless of the fall out.

Robbo has a history of chasing a story with very little regard for the player. Wasn't it Robbo that snuck his way into an interview with Graham Polak? Plenty of other examples highlighting the *smile* that he is.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
You watch the media ask Dimma about it in his presser thus week. Reckon Dimma will unload both barrels back too

Reactions: 2 users

bugsy

TIGERISING
Jul 31, 2004
Robbo needs to be shown the door at AFL360. He’s on a par with Barnaby Joyce these days.

Surely Sky can find someone much more presentable.

Reactions: 4 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
Flabbergasted that they know what he has had to deal with and it would "ok" to give him the space and time before speaking out publicly. 99.99 of the fans know this, just becuase he is back in and in a better space does not mean its "all ok".

Sometimes the media in an attempt to get one up on each other, in a packed AFL media presence, just lose the plot!

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Dusty is best served not talking to the media at all right now.

And the RFC need to get around him and tell the media cretins to gagf.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I watched 360 this morning and listening to Whately moan on that having Dusty answer a few Dorothy Dixers “completes the story arc”. How? Just sounds like more crap to me. As a Richmond member/fan I don’t feel deprived of any story “arc” because Dusty didn’t say “yeah it was a good win by the boys” or ny other scripted response he usually offers.

Reactions: 2 users
Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
I watched 360 this morning and listening to Whately moan on that having Dusty answer a few Dorothy Dixers “completes the story arc”. How? Just sounds like more crap to me. As a Richmond member/fan I don’t feel deprived of any story “arc” because Dusty didn’t say “yeah it was a good win by the boys” or ny other scripted response he usually offers.

It’s not a story.

It’s a life.