Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
[QUOTE="123cups, post: 2800799, member: 8159

If a reasonable gap happens to exist, then that suggests NSW may have a long-term competitive advantage in this area.
[/QUOTE]

Except to say that the advantage may be in Victoria’s favour, not NSW.

As a NSW resident I can unequivocally state that AFL features seldom on nightly news. That is particularly the case with Ch7 who despite being the AFL broadcaster, will focus on NRL in an effort to combat the comparative advantage that 9 has with broadcast coverage of that code.

And be aware, 7 News rates higher than 9 , at least in NSW.

So , I’d conclude that post football , there’s no advantage, income wise, with a Sydney residence. But we won’t mention the weather or horse racing or beaches, etc.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
The problem arose because coach Dimma
initially created the media interest by doing exactly the opposite.
not really, he answered a question

The club has long had a stance that if someone wants to leave we will try to accommodate them

Didn't say he was leaving

Reactions: 2 users

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021

As a NSW resident I can unequivocally state that AFL features seldom on nightly news. That is particularly the case with Ch7 who despite being the AFL broadcaster, will focus on NRL in an effort to combat the comparative advantage that 9 has with broadcast coverage of that code.

So , I’d conclude that post football , there’s no advantage, income wise, with a Sydney residence. But we won’t mention the weather or horse racing or beaches, etc.
[/QUOTE]

I spent a fair bit of time working in Sydney and agree wholeheartedly.

AFL players don’t increase their profile and after footy earning potential by moving to Sydney. Despite what the AFL would have you believe NSW is still very much an NRL state and to most of them the AFL is something the “Mexicans” play.

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Burge broke him down again 10 days after his initial awareness .
Spot on, Stig. I think RFC, Martin and Burge all decided to push it for the sake of the season. Knowing that the injury wasn't progressing. It's cost us at least one week. Maybe more. We'll see.

Burge comments somewhere about Grimes that Burge has had trouble with that kind of injury all year. And says he may need to adjust the strength work he's doing. More strength work. I think he's referring to Lynch and Martin here.

He owns it. Has four premierships with his methods but he still bungles at times and has to adjust.

Reactions: 1 user

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach

I spent a fair bit of time working in Sydney and agree wholeheartedly.

AFL players don’t increase their profile and after footy earning potential by moving to Sydney. Despite what the AFL would have you believe NSW is still very much an NRL state and to most of them the AFL is something the “Mexicans” play.
[/QUOTE]
Buddy rated a one minute mention at end of a ten minutes sports coverage tonight.
Absolutely devoid of a mention of this round’s matches for either GWS or the Swans or their coverage of tonight’s game between Collingwood and Melbourne, despite the fact it’s on their secondary station in an hour.

Gee, the AFL has leverage with Ch 7 Sydney!

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
The problem arose because coach Dimma
initially created the media interest by doing exactly the opposite.
Yet that clip has since been edited as he went on to say that he is a Richmond Man and is a required player.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Well, I may as well add my two cents.

Most other players I’d take the pragmatic view. But there are times in life when something special needs to be treated as such. Personally, I put the symbiotic relationship between Dustin Martin, the RFC and it’s fans in that basket. It’s a life of it’s own where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The feeling you get remembering the scenes after the 2017 grand final. When I think ‘Dusty’, his image is emblematic of that point in time when we were ALL the greatest for that glorious moment in time that is embedded in all our psyches. It even transcends the fact it was achieved in a yellow jumper. And then - you realise that you multiply it by 3. Not even Hollywood would dare such an ambitious story line. It’s beyond the stuff of legend, yet it happened.

In this context, I don’t like thinking ‘win/win’ if he leaves. I also don’t thinking ‘he owes us nothing’. I think if he leaves we all lose a little bit of that lovely magic. Including him.

Back on the pragmatic, it‘s speculation of course. Saying we win if he goes because we get lots for him - why would we expect lots for him AND be ok with him going? That makes no sense. If there’s an expectation to win big on a trade, that’s saying you expect him to have lots left to give (or just assume another club will trade big, just because… We want them to?). And indeed, we saw in his most recent game that he was getting close to some strong form. Lots of players have taken time to get over injuries and come back strong for a sustained period. If that’s true of him, why would we want to lose him? I don’t! Given he a had a split kidney, interrupted pre-season, lost his father and now has a hamstring injury, I’m hardly surprised he’s had an ordinary time getting on the park. Actually it would be miraculous if it wasn’t the case. But that’s the thing - we‘re accustomed to the basking in the miraculous from him.

And so, it might come to pass he that leaves. I understand that. I want him with us, regardless of how well or how often he plays for the remainder of his time with us. While I won’t begrudge him going, I just really hope he remains a tiger

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
This is sacrilege

I love him too much.

I prefer he retires than he gets traded, I don't GAF what we could get for him either.

We are not Hawthorn, we are romantics, we follow Richmond.

Seeing Dusty wear another jumper would be significantly sub-optimal (n)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
911, the Moon landing & the club covering up Martin leaving.
Now it all makes sense. He is going to Sydney. There is going to be BIG breaking news soon. He wants to go for the anonymity up there. There is going to be an announcement that he is the second gunman that was on the grassy knoll when JFK was assassinated and he wants to avoid all the media frenzy

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Ralph Carr being deep & meaningful:
"People know your name, not your story. They’ve heard what you’ve done, but not what you’ve been through. So take their opinions of you with a grain of salt. In the end, it’s not what others think, it’s what you think about yourself that counts. Sometimes you have to do exactly what’s best for you and your life, not what’s best for everyone else. TRUTH………."​
So what is the source and date of these words, if they are Carr's genuine own?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The second part. Maybe we are aware of the move, the hammy was slight and Dusty has told the club he is done for this year.

Sydney lowballing Bud, him not signing, the need for them to have a star there's so much smoke coming out of Sydney. We are suddenly heavily linked to GWS players (some in contract) that would need a trade, there's some more smoke. Buddy has looked so good this year, he can go on. The money thing would sort itself out unless they are waiting on something.

And here is the biggest one, if Dusty was staying and all in he would simply need to do is put on a club video for 30 seconds stating that he has had a really tough year, thank everyone for all the support, and state how much he is looking forward to finishing 2022 strongly and a big 2023. But we haven't had a single word, from our biggest most marketable star via a safe club website since he has come back. You can have privacy and protect your player by putting out that video. It all goes away, every conversation in the media, every question is answered, "You saw the video." Instead, we have statements like "I'm really confident he will stay" from people like Jack. Who doesn't know a thing but that's the only answer he can give. Anything else adds fuel to the fire.

Far too much stuff isn't adding up. If Dusty, the club, and his management were all on the same page, we would have put this story to bed months ago.
Too many smarts in the club for it to linger like this. Too many smart people in the club to let it get out. Too many smart people at the club who COULD stage manage four months so we protect Dusty because he has been an absolute icon, a once in a lifetime player, a one in a 120-year player who the club cares about deeply who has gone through a traumatic period of life and we want to take care of.

The entire era of success has been about vulnerability and being open. I firmly believe that Dusty has been upfront truthful and honest with those in charge and told them he needs a change and we are doing everything to make that happen with the least amount of friction and pressure on Dustin.

We'd be hypocrites to do it any other way.

Dustin Martin doesn't do pissy little videos.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Now it all makes sense. He is going to Sydney. There is going to be BIG breaking news soon. He wants to go for the anonymity up there. There is going to be an announcement that he is the second gunman that was on the grassy knoll when JFK was assassinated and he wants to avoid all the media frenzy
Dusty will be recognised everywhere, just as much in Sydney, it's all media rubbish, swans cap is bursting, as many young players needing and getting pay rises,they can't even pay buddy anywhere near what he was on just as much for cap reasons as for performance.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Dustin Martin doesn't do pissy little videos.
no he does not. No player has ever done one of that nature that I can recall, and for good reason, and Dusty is the least likely to. Players have come out in interviews and said 'I'm staying' and left, so it doesn't provide a guarantee anyway. There are very few certainties in footy, and to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, even they aren't completely certain.

But personally I agree with scoop in that I think there is some smoke to this fire, how much, who knows, staying: going he might be 50:50, 90:10, 20:80, whatever, even if its 99:1 you wouldn't do a video.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
no he does not. No player has ever done one of that nature that I can recall, and for good reason, and Dusty is the least likely to. Players have come out in interviews and said 'I'm staying' and left, so it doesn't provide a guarantee anyway. There are very few certainties in footy, and to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, even they aren't completely certain.

But personally I agree with scoop in that I think there is some smoke to this fire, how much, who knows, staying: going he might be 50:50, 90:10, 20:80, whatever, even if its 99:1 you wouldn't do a video.
Would he consider some sky writing do you reckon ? One of those planes that does the Vapor trail writing thing in the sky ? eg

“STAYING.”

• Haha

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Would he consider some sky writing do you reckon ? One of those planes that does the Vapor trail writing thing in the sky ? eg

“STAYING.”
you should be in player management. A blimp could be good too if its too windy.