Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Agree 100%

If the story was going to be whipped up - it was gonna happen irrespective of whatever actual words Dimma‘s used. And in the circumstances his comments were measured and respectful to Dusty and the footy club and more likely to calm the waters than create waves.

Sheer lunacy to cast aspersions on the coach over this.
More likely to calm waters than create waves.
Not on this planet.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Well put and I agree with most of it TM. But it might have been better if he simply rang Dusty and told ho how should
Yes, but how was Dimma supposed to answer the click bait question? Imagine the furore if Dimma said no comment.

The media are always trying to trap someone into say something that they can make a story out of. I'm glad I don't have to answer those ambulance chaser's questions.

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Well put and I agree with most of it TM. But it might have been better if he simply rang Dusty and told him that.

How do we know that he didn't, I'm pretty sure he talks to all of his players all the time.

You're still trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
My two bobs worth.

Dimma is on record as saying that he will always support his players, and has a track record of doing, just that.

Dimma was showing "support" for Dusty (who is/was mourning the loss of his father, hero and best mate) when he gave his blessing should he choose to leave.

Who's to say.....Dusty might be more inclined to stay, because of the "support" Dimma showed him.

Dimma was asked about Dusty's future, and the talk that he might finish his career somewhere else. Dimma answered by saying that Dusty would have his blessing should he leave.

I'm not hung up about whether Dusty leaves or not. I would love for him to finish his career at Tigerland though.

Dusty would leave with my blessing too, because of the joy he brought me, and all us Tiger fans, something that I didn't think I would ever see after all the years of heartbreak.

What's most important to me is, is what's best for Dusty and his wellbeing.
I think.what is best for the RFC is the criteria.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
But from today I am expecting Dusty to return in September and give us the best chance to go all the way.
Same here.

I'm also confident that Dusty will play with us next year.

An announcement just before the finals, just like in 2017 would be fantastic.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Maybe not if you’re as agitated as it seems

Not agitated but you seem to be.

It’s just about coming to an understanding about exactly why Dusty has been put through this.
I am saying the coach messed up and despite some un met arguments in favour you and some others seem to think his remarks had nothing to do with it.
The coach is allowed to make mistakes as we all are but that should never mean that
they can't be a proper matter for discussion.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
How do we know that he didn't, I'm pretty sure he talks to all of his players all the time.

You're still trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Great if he did but if he did there was absolutely no need to share that with the press.
‘A molehill’ that was a molehill. Dusty offered clearance by coach was the message as portrayed in the media, and that was a molehill….

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Yes, but how was Dimma supposed to answer the click bait question? Imagine the furore if Dimma said no comment.

The media are always trying to trap someone into say something that they can make a story out of. I'm glad I don't have to answer those ambulance chaser's questions.
Most coaches would answer that question by saying they don’t answer questions about any players contract situation.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Most coaches would answer that question by saying they don’t answer questions about any players contract situation.
Dimma did go on to say in that interview that Dusty was a “Richmond player, a required Richmond player and a very important Richmond player”
There was no question about his contract.

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Cant switch on form
Would prefer him to play today and next week…
I think he is done.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Dimma did go on to say in that interview that Dusty was a “Richmond player, a required Richmond player and a very important Richmond player”
Yes but Dusty was under contract which was the basis of his hold on the club and visa versa. The contract is always there.
it was his concession to speak about a related matter, which got us into trouble.
Simply “I don’t talk to the media about players and their contacts” or like is simple and is all that should be said.
What he might have chosen to say to Dusty in private is something else.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

This fact has been pointed out many times, but it seems that some posters continue to ignore that particular point.

I think momentai just likes to keep stirring the pot.

Reactions: 1 user

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
This fact has been pointed out many times, but it seems that some posters continue to ignore that particular point.

Yeah but…

Same points over and a over and over and over and over and over and over and and over; I lost my train of thought.

So when’s Dusty leaving again?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I'm prepared for everyone to hate this but why in the blue blazers haven't we heard any "Dusty in the finals will make Richmond dangerous talk?"

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

You asked me, or one of the tribe did, what should have been done and I answered.
It was a good question.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Momentai you talk as if Dimma volunteered comments about Martin, he didn't, he was answering a question.

As for the idea that Dimma should have responded with either "no comment" or "I don't talk about my players' contracts", give me a break. It is like a politician being asked about a leaderships challenge - if the answer is no comment or the like then you know for sure that the challenge is on. If Dimma had answered with a non-answer the media would have moved on from Richmond to asking where Martin was about to go and what the deal would be, they would have treated the question of whether Martin would leave Richmond as settled in the affirmative.

Instead, Dimma answered with an honest appraisal which actually gave the media less to work with as he clearly stated that Martin is contracted and needed.

DS