Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
I'm probably too optimistic but I think he can play at that level again.

No doubt in my mind he was set for a massive year last season until things got off track in round one and he seems good to go from what I can see again this year.

My only concern is guys who are really durable and rarely miss footy have a tendency to crash hard with body issues so hopefully that hamstring was a one off.

Have a hunch deep down he would like one more massive year individually to stamp himself as an absolute great of the game, a Brownlow type season. I think that would mean more to him than he would ever let on.
Not looking close to brownlow fit he looks heavy

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Here we go again.
Anything to upset the club and Dustin Martin.
As at today.
"Most Shocking Scandals of 2022"
Guess who head up the article, complete with 2 photos.
Yep...Dustin Martin

This year’s AFL season was rocked with scandals on and off the field.
From drug sagas to late-night brawls and claims of racism and sexism, there was no shortage of talking points.
Here are the top 20 controversies from 2022:
Dustin Martin caught groping a topless woman

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

From drug sagas to late-night brawls and claims of racism and sexism, there was no shortage of talking points.
Don’t forget to add ……….. about 7 or 8 years ago ……

Last edited:

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Here we go again.
As at today.
Yep...Dustin Martin

First off, stop reading that *smile*.

That is all

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Here we go again.
As at today.
Yep...Dustin Martin

Wouldn’t that have been more correctly titled “Most Shocking Scandals of 2015”? Which is when the event took place. Do they list the Tom Morris Megan Barnard thing? That was more scandalous.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
The Herald Sun are really just bullying Dustin as well as the young female. He should respond.
Something like..

He regrets the incident, which occurred when he was 22 years of age. He always believed and continues to believe that his actions were welcome but now would not behave in that manner, welcome or not.

In defence of young men and women he also doesn’t believe that media organisations like the Herald Sun should be permitted to breach his right to privacy in a manner that portrays his behaviour as indecent or illegal in circumstances where no such accusation has been made by any one concerned.

The Herald Sun are not acting in the public interest and by now republishing what is just salacious material, have shown itself incapable of the balance all of us are entitled to expect.
He should then seek a public apology.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
The Herald Sun are really just bullying Dustin as well as the young female. He should respond.
Something like..

He regrets the incident, which occurred when he was 22 years of age. He always believed and continues to believe that his actions were welcome but now would not behave in that manner, welcome or not.

In defence of young men and women he also doesn’t believe that media organisations like the Herald Sun should be permitted to breach his right to privacy in a manner that portrays his behaviour as indecent or illegal in circumstances where no such accusation has been made by any one concerned.

The Herald Sun are not acting in the public interest and by now republishing what is just salacious material, have shown itself incapable of the balance all of us are entitled to expect.
That is so well put.
Will not happen of course.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I'm probably too optimistic but I think he can play at that level again.

No doubt in my mind he was set for a massive year last season until things got off track in round one and he seems good to go from what I can see again this year.

My only concern is guys who are really durable and rarely miss footy have a tendency to crash hard with body issues so hopefully that hamstring was a one off.

Have a hunch deep down he would like one more massive year individually to stamp himself as an absolute great of the game, a Brownlow type season. I think that would mean more to him than he would ever let on.

Hodge won 4. Duckwood has now won 4. Footy players have egos. The likes of Dusty and Cotchy will want 4 as well.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Something like..

Nice idea, and it would be appropriate, of course, he could also sue but going anywhere near a defamation case is generally a very bad idea.

I reckon they are taking the approach of ignoring this crap, not feeding the trolls and not adding fuel to the fire. It is a sound approach but they need to avoid the temptation of responding when something is written, they are succeeding in ignoring the crap so far and as long as they continue to do so the story will die a well deserved death.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Nice idea, and it would be appropriate, of course, he could also sue but going anywhere near a defamation case is generally a very bad idea.

I reckon they are taking the approach of ignoring this crap, not feeding the trolls and not adding fuel to the fire. It is a sound approach but they need to avoid the temptation of responding when something is written, they are succeeding in ignoring the crap so far and as long as they continue to do so the story will die a well deserved death.

DS
100%. It’s parenting 101. Paying attention to bad behaviour fuels it because the child usually acts up to get attention. Ignoring it - or at least addressing it a completely different tine to when it happens - can make it disappear. And yes the HS are children. I

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

DS

I don’t think he would want to push it in the direction of a defamation action but asking for an apology would be seen as moderate and reasonable.

Right now along with Ashe Barty, Dusty is Australia’s most imminent sporting celebrity. He is being badly treated by the press because caning the Tigers spells money for the media. And what better target than the games best player, especially if he won’t push back.

I know you didn’t recommend it but we have followed the approach of ignoring insult etc etc for a long time and I think that from both Dusty’s and the Clubs point of view, that taking a stronger action against a bullying Football rag would finally receive widespread public support.

Also this: Otherwise things will continue as now and it unfortunately is just the sort of irritation that could push Dusty away from the game. Cyril comes to mind.

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Hope you're right TBR.
Unlike others I'm not that happy to see Dusty spending most of his time deep forward. I reckon we look better when he's up the ground, winning contested ball and creating.
I'd like to see a Dusty this year who's saying "These new boys from GWS look pretty good! It'll be interesting to see how they go in the guts when I need a rest."
I think deep forward can be problematic too, effectively playing as an undersized full forward.
It is too static.
The defender can sit behind Dusty and only needs to work in one direction.
Oppo clubs have had 5 years to work out defensive plans.

Where he can be very dangerous is a high half forward, delivering into the forward line. Precision and creativity.
Sitting 40-70m out in the zone of uncertainty.

He does it so well to slip free from close checking, classic footage of blicalvs running off him Only for the ball to go long to Dusty on his lonesome.

To mess with the opposition structures he would float between deep forward, high half forward and the guts : 30-30-30

The thrill is that Bolton and Cumberland (not mid) can also play this role.

Reactions: 7 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Something like..

I also 'NOW' regret touching the breasts of about 1000 ladies between the years of 1976-2019

I really hope the Rag of a newspaper do a report on me with my regrets

• Haha

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
I also 'NOW' regret touching the breasts of about 1000 ladies between the years of 1976-2019

I really hope the Rag of a newspaper do a report on me with my regrets
Maybe our female players should start grabbing *smile* - fair game aye

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike