Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
If Gold Coast offer a top 10 pick for Dusty I'd take it and run.

An absolute club legend but the top 10 pick is likely to deliver a lot more for the club from this point than Dusty can.

It would be difficult to get him to Gold Coast this year. They need all their picks and more for their elite academy kids. Maybe they'll offer a future pick we can then trade to get back into the 1st round.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Love Dusty. All time fave.

But he’s not worth a Top 10 pick in a trade. Which club would trade a potential 100 game player, for a 1+mill salary cap balancing act and 20-30 games.
Quite a few. Any side that needs some bankable quality to consolidate contention credentials, and get some bonus marketing bang for buck into the bargain. I'd be into the idea if I was Brisbane, Adelaide, Freo, Carlton, Port for starters

All this pundit talk of limited demand is sour grapes and barking up the wrong tree. If circumstances emerged where he was on the open market, they'd be lining up. Maybe not top 4, but 5-10, sure thing.

I don't want him to go and don't think he should or will.

Reactions: 1 user

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

An absolute club legend but the top 10 pick is likely to deliver a lot more for the club from this point than Dusty can.
No one is offering top 10 pick for Dusty now. Can't see him leaving.

Reactions: 6 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Dusty is a legend of the Game. if he went to Gold Coast or a Sydney team he is marketing PR Gold.
Love Dusty to be a one club player...But.....his next contract at Richmond will be for next to nothing $$
We could offer him a 2 year extension to his current contract on far less money to spread his final year salary to help us rebuild or we can trade him with the help of the AFL to Sydney or Gold Coast and pay a big chunk of his 2024 salary for 2 first round picks. His marketing value would warrant the picks.

Hello Newman

Eat em Alive
Jul 9, 2005

It would be difficult to get him to Gold Coast this year though. They need all their picks and more for their elite academy kids this year. Maybe they'll offer a future pick we can then trade to get back into the 1st round though.
Apparently Gold Coast happy to part with their first pick this year cos it will get gobbled up early by bids on Academy kids. They want later picks with potentially more points value so we might be able to make something happen there.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Apparently Gold Coast happy to part with their first pick this year cos it will get gobbled up early by bids on Academy kids. They want later picks with potentially more points value so we might be able to make something happen there.

Yeah ok so they give us pick 6 and we give them Dusty and our 2nd rounder. Seems about right for value.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Didn’t we go through this last year?
Some old crap from the media

Reactions: 5 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Didn’t we go through this last year?
Some old crap from the media

Sure but Dimma is gone now and Jack and Cotchin by the end of the year. Less ties to the club for Dusty now so its reasonable to assume he is assessing his options.

He also has form touring GWS and going a fair way with #lolnorf.

The club will also be considering their options given its his last year under contract so the last chance to get something in return if he does leave.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Next year is his last of the contract & what a contract it's been. Reckon that might do him.
I want to enjoy the last of Dusty in a Richmond jumper. He should be a TIger for life.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004

It would be difficult to get him to Gold Coast this year. They need all their picks and more for their elite academy kids. Maybe they'll offer a future pick we can then trade to get back into the 1st round.
Take a deep breath big Gorilla!!
We are devoid of talent now and need everyone of quality to hang on for another year or two.
Not Cotch or JR of course. They have run their course.

yo_eddy

Tiger Rookie
Apr 18, 2023
Next year is his last of the contract & what a contract it's been. Reckon that might do him.
I want to enjoy the last of Dusty in a Richmond jumper. He should be a TIger for life.
No other Tiger has had his impact in finals. KB in the conversation but Dusty stands alone.

Jewell

Tiger Cub
May 4, 2006
So Jordan Lewis said so. And Buckley said he might or might not.

Sounds like a top ten pick is assured

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

While i think that's a fair deal, I probably wouldn't accept it unless they also take on his full 2024 salary on top. That would create some cap space and maybe allow us to front end player contracts in 2024 so we can have a crack at a big fish in 12 months (ie. Ben King).

But i don't think the club would seriously entertain it unless Dusty specifically requested it. We have already lost Dimma and will lose Cotch and Jack. Plus Dusty will be on about 290 games by the end of the season and the club takes big milestones pretty seriously from a cultural POV.

My personal preference is to offer Dusty a contract extension and attempt to smooth over his 2024 salary over 2-3 years (I honestly believe he has at least another 4 years in him). My theory is that we will be back contending in about 2-3 years and we should put the ball in his court as to whether he wants to be part of it. Even offer him the incentive of captaincy in 2024.

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
That's convenient, cos later picks is what we have!

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
He has always prepared himself well and maintained high fitness. He seems to be getting over the internal injury suffered last year, and to the extent possible, to be also working past the family issues created by the previous federal government.. I think that if he wants to, he could play on at the level for another 5.

Very much hope he stays, but if not we should press for an appropriate level of compensation.

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
i cant see him going to another club and starting from scratch in terms of getting to know everyone
he is quite a private person and shy,
id be surprised if he left for another club, money is no issue for him

Reactions: 11 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
i cant see him going to another club and starting from scratch in terms of getting to know everyone
he is quite a private person and shy,
id be surprised if he left for another club, money is no issue for him
Very true.
Also as a "MARQUEE SIGNING" would have to go down media street with interviews and making himself available etc.
We all know, that ain't Dusty!

Ralphie

Tiger Rookie
Dec 6, 2015
I reckon he might be keen to play his 300th game in Yellow and Black

Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
He has always prepared himself well and maintained high fitness. He seems to be getting over the internal injury suffered last year, and to the extent possible, to be also working past the family issues created by the previous federal government.. I think that if he wants to, he could play on at the level for another 5.

Dimma coached 307 games. Dusty has played 279 games. He missed a combined 20 games in 2021 and 2022. That means in the other 12 season he has missed a combined 9 games.

Some have said he might go the way of Brett Deledio. But he could also go the way of Scott Pendlebury who is 35 and still looks like he can go on for 2-3 more years.

Tigers4

Tiger Rookie
Feb 5, 2022
Not 10 pick anymore
Not most marketable player anymore

Richmond need to look after richmond