Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Matthews best ever? nah. nor is DM. if people are making comparisons thought i'd take it a step further and up-sell Dusty a bit.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
artball said:

Anybody who says that or even goes anywhere near there never saw the great man in action. When he's bandied as the best player ever, they ain't kidding y'know. And Dusty is a good player. But Lethal? Puhlease.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
shad said:
Just for starters he kicked over 900 goals, mainly playing as a rover who rested in the forward pocket.

Was more a forward than rover. Only averaged over 20 disposals in a season for 6 of his 19 years. No denying though he was a superstar.

artball

Jul 30, 2013
ToraToraTora said:
And you reckon Dusty is scary on the pitch. Lethal by name....

not denying any of it TTT. Lethal also a great football thinker. there'll be no statue for Dusty. maybe there is an old fashion-ness to our bloke that resonates a bit of Lethal and i like it

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
ToraToraTora said:
Anybody who says that or even goes anywhere near there never saw the great man in action. When he's bandied as the best player ever, they ain't kidding y'know. And Dusty is a good player. But Lethal? Puhlease.

Thats just old bogans having a selective memory :hihi

He was damn good and one of the best ever no question. I kind of think Gazza jnr is the best ever, not even Michael Jordan was able to dominate in his sport like Gazza.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
ToraToraTora said:

I never really heard Matthews pushed up as "greatest ever" during his playing days. He was one of a number of great players in that era. I wonder how much of it is revisionist and related to his role in the media.

Fantastic player and as dirty as any who ever pulled on a boot.

Don't think Dusty is even acknowledged as one of the best in this era, although he's been unlucky not to be AA the past couple of years.

artball

Jul 30, 2013
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Don't think Dusty is even acknowledged as one of the best in this era, although he's been unlucky not to be AA the past couple of years.

a lot of people like Dusty tho - fans, pundits, critics, punters.

and he has never been reported 3 times in 5 weeks - ala Lethal..

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
artball said:
a lot of people like Dusty tho - fans, pundits, critics, punters.

and he has never been reported 3 times in 5 weeks - ala Lethal..

Times were a bit dfferent then. Got away with a lot more.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
If last night was anything to go by, Dusty has lifted the 'beast mode' as Ling called it, a notch or two. Exciting. That one in the last quarter on the boundary he shook off an oponent who was tackling him with one arm like he was waving away a fly.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I never really heard Matthews pushed up as "greatest ever" during his playing days. He was one of a number of great players in that era.

Don't think there was ever that much need to hype up players back in them good old days as there is now. Ordinary players, good players n Champions pretty much covered it n you actually had to perform well for more than a couple of seasons to be rated a good player. Nowadays the first thirty kids who are drafted each year are all superstars n if they actually play a handful of decent games in their first year the media start to wet their knickers.

Old Lethal was as good a player as you can get, easily stick him in with Hart, Farmer, Doc, E.J. Carey both Abletts, Voss, Hird, Judd, or any other player you'd care to think of. Lethal was as good or better than anyone else you put a ticket on, n suitably nasty to boot.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
tigersnake said:
If last night was anything to go by, Dusty has lifted the 'beast mode' as Ling called it, a notch or two. Exciting. That one in the last quarter on the boundary he shook off an oponent who was tackling him with one arm like he was waving away a fly.

I loved the way he broke that tackle standing still. Not many could do that.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
A posts hat was lost I put on before a thread removed/split I believe Dusty will have his best year. I'm predicting Brownlow for this year's draft a premiership for the Tiges. ✨

go Dusty !

P.s. Trying not to get ahead of myself

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Favorite player by far. Was with Carlton supporters today and they are in awe of him

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I'm confident that Dusty is going up another notch this year. He's a real beauty.

Won't win a Brownlow because he's got enough mongrel about him to put the white maggots off.