Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Ridley said:
Getting back to somewhere near his best. He’s been brilliant last 2 games.

Seems to have regained his power. Looks a different player the last two weeks.
Seems MOST of us were right!

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Now that he is regaining his form , its going to be interesting when he comes up against the better known taggers again .

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
kiwitiger said:
Now that he is regaining his form , its going to be interesting when he comes up against the better known taggers again .

Greenhack and de-boring won't get near him in his current form.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Ridley said:
Getting back to somewhere near his best. He’s been brilliant last 2 games.

coincides with him having his favourite boots back on doesn't it?
Caddy made mention that, "if anyone has some size 12s out there send them in..."

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Surely there would be some Tiger supporters out there with some signed pairs of Dusty's Puma boots that could exchange them for an alternative Dusty treasure - and help Dusty and the club to boot! Pun intended.

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
MD Jazz said:
Some posters here should be embarrassed with their comments on Dusty back in early May.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTed0zeIvSQ

Ah not really, if anything it justifies the criticism, seeing him the last couple of weeks. He was playing lazy football. Now he’s not. Just stating the facts.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
rokkafella said:
Ah not really, if anything it justifies the criticism, seeing him the last couple of weeks. He was playing lazy football. Now he’s not. Just stating the facts.

Agree. Not saying he was lazy though, just not as impactful as we expected or needed.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Great to hear (if it's a fact ) that Dusty is taking in Marlion. It again stamps his leadership credentials and the great sort of fella I've been told that he is.
Even if it doesn't work out for Marlion, it appears from afar it won't be for lack of effort on the clubs part. Long may it continue.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
rokkafella said:

Disagree. Despite the conditions Dusty was one of only 2 Tigers to record significantly lower pressure act stats than his year's average against Essendon. And only 1 tackle. Yet he played a great game. Same the previous week, significantly lower pressure act stats. I think he had been working extremely hard on his defensive side, just he wasn't in form and getting as much ball as he's used to. I still think he has core strength issues but maybe that's also improving and reflecting in his more attacking frame of mind again. We don't really know but I don't agree he's been lazy. May seem like it on the outside.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
tigerlove said:
Disagree. Despite the conditions Dusty was one of only 2 Tigers to record significantly lower pressure act stats than his year's average against Essendon. And only 1 tackle. Yet he played a great game. Same the previous week, significantly lower pressure act stats. I think he had been working extremely hard on his defensive side, just he wasn't in form and getting as much ball as he's used to. I still think he has core strength issues but maybe that's also improving and reflecting in his more attacking frame of mind again. We don't really know but I don't agree he's been lazy. May seem like it on the outside.

There were a couple of extra tackles attempted but were paid as frees against Dusty.
3 tackles would have looked a lot better in the stats

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
bigwow said:
Must be a slow news day, herald Sun reporting a return to Puma boots coincides with return to form.
Reporting that Dusty dumped Puma searching for better from one of the other manufacturers. Thought Dusty dumped Puma 'coz they stopped making the boots he liked n didn't feel comfortable in their new styles.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
aoc1974 said:
Great to hear (if it's a fact ) that Dusty is taking in Marlion. It again stamps his leadership credentials and the great sort of fella I've been told that he is.
Even if it doesn't work out for Marlion, it appears from afar it won't be for lack of effort on the clubs part. Long may it continue.
Michael Ramsay at afl.com said:
Pickett will spend about a week living with Martin, who himself had off-field troubles before changing his ways in recent years.

:headscratch What ways did Martin have to change?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
From 2017 Dustin Martin stamped himself as a great champion of the game. He was 25 at the time.

He got fat in 2018 but was IMO at least outstanding. Had a stinker in the PF.

In 2019 he has been a bit rusty. (Consistent with with Dimma saying we'd be slower to reach peak fitness in 2019.) But he has steadily improved from great to awesome.

In so many codes the rule is simple - it they double/triple team you you must have loose team mates nearby. Use it quickly and positively. Is this not simple? Rip it open with quick use. Get the outnumber.

So easy to coach this way. But that's not how Mr Damien Hardwick handled the matter in 2019. (Gypsy Jazz put me on to this.) Martin kept taking them on. And getting caught. Or over cooking it. It was infuriating. Nothing from the coach. Martin was clearly licensed to anything.

Dustin Martin got better at taking them on. Quarter by quarter. Game by game. And flogging them once - then twice - in a a while.

You don't want to howl on Fyfe or Clangerfield - they get no coaching. But Martin eclipses them for smarts.

The number 4 for Richmond is Dustin Martin. Get ready to be in awe.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Dyer'ere said:
From 2017 Dustin Martin stamped himself as a great champion of the game. He was 25 at the time.

In 2019 he has been a bit rusty. (Consistent with with Dimma saying we'd be slower to reach peak fitness in 2019.) But he has steadily improved from great to awesome.

In so many codes the rule is simple - it they double/triple team you you must have loose team mates nearby. Use it quickly and positively. Is this not simple? Rip it open with quick use. Get the outnumber.

So easy to coach this way. But that's not how Mr Damien Hardwick handled the matter in 2019. (Gypsy Jazz put me on to this.) Martin kept taking them on. And getting caught. Or over cooking it. It was infuriating. Nothing from the coach. Martin was clearly licensed to anything.

Dustin Martin got better at taking them on. Quarter by quarter. Game by game. And flogging them once - then twice - in a a while.

You don't want to howl on Fyfe or Clangerfield - they get no coaching. But Martin eclipses them for smarts.

Love the perspective you bring to this forum Jack.

Hope your proclamations regarding our number 4 prove to be prophetic!

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Aegean Tiger said:
Love the perspective you bring to this forum Jack.

Hope your proclamations regarding our number 4 prove to be prophetic!

Thank you, Aegean.

Lesser champions like to be champions. "Dustin Martin likes to win." Mr Damien Hardwick.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Dyer'ere said:

Had a stinker in the PF.

I’m only picking up on this one small point from your lengthy post but Dusty was clearly playing injured in the PF.
Don’t care who made the decision for him to play or why - but his performance doesn’t deserve to be called a stinker.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Dyer'ere said:

Love it, Jack.

I reckon Dusty needs to take the first option for a while, just to remember how it feels to link up.

The dazzle dazzle jackpot orgasm plays should be a smash glass when needed vibe.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
rokkafella said:

Coming from one of the Martin critics. His good recent form justifies the criticism? It's a fact he was playing lazy football?

Embarrassing.