Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Boo Hoo to Melbourne.
For 25 years we heard we picked Fiora instead of Pavlich, then got creamed for another 15 years how we picked Richard Tambling in front of Buddy Franklin.
Over the last 10 years its barely spoken about how Melbourne had 2 picks and still didn't pick Martin.
Arrogant club and a Useless club Melbourne is.

Reactions: 3 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Good point.
But we also passed on Franklin twice :).
Yes, granted, but if we'd got him he would have been under the watchful eye of Terry Wallace and Richard Tambling might now be in Sydney married to a supermodel with a couple of medallions in his sock drawer!;)

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Good point.
But we also passed on Franklin twice :).

People don't understand.
Back then where was he going to play? We had Richo, Brown and Shultz.
He wouldve lasted with us regardless.
Pavlich was the one we missed out on. Collingwood used the first pick on Fraser. Thats the equivalent of using a first rounder on Mathew Francis.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
My favourite Dusty moment is the first goal in the last qtr of the 2017 prelim against GWS. Dusty Dusty Dusty.

Mine too that goal is not talked about enough. He had it planned out about 5mins before the ball arrived. Broke the defenders ankles with that amazing athletic move. Knew we were playing in a GF right then.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Mine too that goal is not talked about enough. He had it planned out about 5mins before the ball arrived. Broke the defenders ankles with that amazing athletic move. Knew we were playing in a GF right then.

That goal is unique, because he just made it look so easy. He made a contested situation into an inevitability. So you simultaneously think "How did he do that?" and "Of course he did that."

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The Dusty moment for me in that game was sometime in the game where it was just kind of coasting. We had the lead, but they were coming and we didn’t seem to know what to do about it. Dusty ran into a contest, physically shoved a Giant aside, picked up the ball, put a don’t argue out there, ran off and kicked it to a team mate. It just sparked everyone, we kicked into high gear and never really looked back.

Last edited:

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Watched 2017 QF v. Cats (again), and the difference between Dusty & Dangerfiled is enormous. One ofthem always looks to pu a team mate in a better position, and invariably does what's best forthe team, the other is all about 'look at me' go for the glory, and disappears when the heat goes on.

Noticable in the Dangerfield/Ellis clash in this game, how many team mates got to Brando in the aftermath, didn't see a single Geelong player go to Danger.

Reactions: 4 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Watched 2017 QF v. Cats (again), and the difference between Dusty & Dangerfiled is enormous. One ofthem always looks to pu a team mate in a better position, and invariably does what's best forthe team, the other is all about 'look at me' go for the glory, and disappears when the heat goes on.

Noticable in the Dangerfield/Ellis clash in this game, how many team mates got to Brando in the aftermath, didn't see a single Geelong player go to Danger.

To be fair, the last 40 minutes of that game is a sublime Dusty Martin Masterclass.

And the nasty kids were being mean to Dangerfield all game.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
To be fair, the last 40 minutes of that game is a sublime Dusty Martin Masterclass.

And the nasty kids were being mean to Dangerfield all game.
Got meaner in the 2nd half of the 2019 PF. That game is why Dangerfield will probably never be regarded as highly as Dusty is, except by biased Cats supporters.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
People don't understand.
Back then where was he going to play? We had Richo, Brown and Shultz.
He wouldve lasted with us regardless.
Pavlich was the one we missed out on. Collingwood used the first pick on Fraser. Thats the equivalent of using a first rounder on Mathew Francis.

Or Aaron Fiora, J.O.N, or Corey Ellis.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012

Spot on Bigwow. I posted a few weeks ago that anyone discussing Dusty v Danger needs to watch the last 40 minutes of the 2017 Qualifying Final. Just for fun, count the number of score assists Dusty is involved with and count the number of turnovers from Danger. They are about equal :)

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Got meaner in the 2nd half of the 2019 PF. That game is why Dangerfield will probably never be regarded as highly as Dusty is, except by biased Cats supporters.
Dusty abusing him back in the centre square after he dived was interesting ,he is not a serial sledger , love to know what he actually said to him , the look on dangers face suggested his feelings were hurt ,

He was hardly sighted again after that