Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Plenty of clips of Dusty on youtube that are just out of this world...

We are so lucky to have him.

What a player!!!!!
He has fun and enjoys himself off season.
As he should.
When it comes to training & the serious business he is switched on ‘better than most’.

As BR has pointed out for us .

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If it's the same DJ then he's a mad Tigers supporter. Often emailing into Talking Tigers podcast and has been for a few years. He's fairly big as far as DJs go. Some of the comments on here reek of jealousy.

Reactions: 2 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Had dinner with 6 non-richmond supporting mates last night. Consensus was that it was goal of the year.

Was trying to argue that his first goal was just as good, but was told to stop gloating and topic was changed!
It's good to be a humble Tigers' supporter.

I trust they shouted you TF2017!

• Haha

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Had a dream last night that we won a 3 peat and Dusty a 4th Norm Smith. Felt so real I could touch it.

If that happens, he would have to go close to being the greatest player of all time wouldn't he?

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Had a dream last night that we won a 3 peat and Dusty a 4th Norm Smith. Felt so real I could touch it.

If that happens, he would have to go close to being the greatest player of all time wouldn't he?
Nah. One great game a year, nowhere near consistent enough. Gets tagged out of at least a couple of Home n Away games a year n loafs his way through a handful of others throwing extra pressure onto his team mates.

• Haha

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I am on a golf weekend with a bunch of mates.

I asked the group, including 3 Carlton one-eyed supporters, who was the better player - Judd or Dusty. All agreed Judd was a jet.

But 100% Dusty. Not a single dissent.

I was expecting some interesting debate. But got none. Universal approval that Dusty is one of the greats.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Hahaha. Every time when leaving the season opener you can hear Carlton supporters muttering a version of "Why can't we tackle that damn Martin?"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Hahaha. Every time when leaving the season opener you can hear Carlton supporters muttering a version of "Why can't we tackle that damn Martin?"
I keep seeing and hearing people say ‘tackle him properly’. If it was that simple every other club would do it. They do seem to have developed a bit of defence against the don’t argue, but as the great players do, he’s found other effective methods.
I’ve long said Ablett senior was the best player I’d ever seen, but I think Dusty has eclipsed him now.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
I am on a golf weekend with a bunch of mates.

I asked the group, including 3 Carlton one-eyed supporters, who was the better player - Judd or Dusty. All agreed Judd was a jet.

But 100% Dusty. Not a single dissent.

I was expecting some interesting debate. But got none. Universal approval that Dusty is one of the greats.
People may compare and say that Judd was constant whereas Dusty, took time to be damaging. However, when you compare the impact the last eight years Dusty comes on top. Each year he gets better and better. Dusty is a goal kicker, great reader of play and more importantly brings his teammates into the game, has great kicking skills, not to mention one on one, one on two to three. For me it's Dusty.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Pfft, Number 6, how dare they underrate our Dusty.

Power 100: Why Dustin Martin is Australia’s most marketable athlete​

The tatts, the trademark mohawk and football genius make Richmond superstar Dustin Martin the most marketable athlete in the country, experts say.

With a “vibe” likened to English soccer legend David Beckham, Dusty is quietly building a multimillion-dollar endorsements empire.

The triple premiership Tiger has added Archies footwear to a stable that boasts Bonds underwear, Jeep, Voost vitamins and watchmaker Kennedy Luxury.

Martin, 29, will release his own fitness app and a second book next season, and is closing in on a lucrative new boot and runners contract.

A documentary tracking the rise of the kid from Castlemaine in country Victoria to the top of Australian sport is also due in 2024.

The three-time Norm Smith medallist comes in at No. 6 in a News Corp ranking of Australia’s 100 most powerful and influential sports industry figures.

UK-based Supernova Entertainment boss Richard Beck, who has worked with Guns N’ Roses, INXS and Bruce Springsteen, said Martin was on the radar of some international advertising agencies.

“Dustin is a super interesting case study of a big fish in a little pond that rightly on merit, deserves to swim in the wider ocean,” Beck said.

“I’ve followed not just his footy career, but the way his management team have brought showbiz acumen and sensibilities to his business and brand.
Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand.
Dustin Martin is dominating on and off the field. Picture: Getty Images

Dustin Martin is dominating on and off the field. Picture: Getty Images
“He is unique enough of a talent and character to become whatever he wants and attain success previously unheard of.
“Healthy food, lifestyle accessories, cars, tech, sports products, you name it. They are all about to open up to him. He’s that marketable.”
Martin’s agent, Ralph Carr, said he believed his client was “not only one of the best players that has ever played the game, he is probably the most bankable sports brand in Australia”.
“Our research shows he has one of the most recognisable faces in the country and he is strong in all states, which is extraordinary,” Carr said.
“I always thought with the right support and guidance he would become Australia’s Michael Jordan or David Beckham.
“He has real reach, real sell-through and will have strong currency well after he retires.
“Brands need athletes just as much as athletes need brands. When they’re paired together by the magic of sports endorsement deals, both can make big money.
“Many people get inspired by athletes and end up doing great things on their own, and inspiration is not something which can be priced.”
Emily Small, general manager of brands at Hanes Brands Australasia (owner of Bonds), said the company’s partnership is “not just with Dustin the athlete, more the original and unique man he is off the field”.
“Dustin likes to collaborate and is always fully engaged whether it be a trick shot, photo shoots or running through Melbourne’s streets in his undies,” Small said.
Martin, who also has investments in property, is contracted to Richmond until the end of 2024 on a deal worth about $1.3 million a season.
Dustin Martin works closely with Bonds. Picture: SUPPLIED

Dustin Martin works closely with Bonds. Picture: SUPPLIED
Melbourne marketing expert John Tripodi, of Twenty3 Sport & Entertainment, said “there are a few dynamics at play which allow the likes of Dustin Martin to rise above the clutter”.
“First, it helps when you’re arguably the best player in the competition,” Tripodi said.
“The AFL is dominated by private school-educated footballers and Dusty represents a different narrative. He has his own backstory which provides some colour at times, but also gives him an authenticity which resonates with fans and sponsoring brands. Some may call this an ‘X-factor’.”
Yet despite his pulling power, Tripodi said there was still “somewhat of a ceiling that restricts an AFL player’s earning capacity relative to other sports such as golf, cricket, tennis, F1 and European soccer”.
“The AFL is one of the most tightly regulated sports in the world where its clubs are governed by a salary cap and an ‘efficient’ collective bargaining agreement,” he said.
“The AFL’s business model is very strong relative to other codes, and part of that success is to ensure player salaries do not spiral out of control like we see in European football.
“Through the CBA, AFL players’ share of revenue approaches 30 per cent, while athletes in the US professional leagues share around 50 per cent of league revenues.
“Also, relative to other larger countries, the Australian marketplace for player endorsement deals is quite small. Footballers – whether AFL or NRL – featuring in national advertising campaigns for brands and companies are more infrequent than they are frequent.”

Michael Warner
December 6, 2020 - 12:02PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
arguably the best player in the comp? what kind of an idiot would argue that he isn't?

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users