Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
This may not be a smearing. Perhaps it's a police warning. Not warning Martin primarily, but Hayson.

So AFL fans would know that NRL is not to be laid? Would understand that bookies will not lay on NRL games? And would understand why?

In the reporting of the problematic games - bad hands. And we've seen cricket matches like this. International. Bizarre failures at crucial times.

AFL is not considered rigged. (Yes, there is percentage playing.) But we don't rig matches.

If you are banned for betting AFL it's because you're good at betting. Not because you rigged the game. Or bowled for those who did.

Most AFL fans would have no idea how poisonous NRL is. And I include Dustin Martin in the innocent here.

So The Age (Channel9) is still using Nick McKenzie as an investigative reporter and he is all over this. N. R. L.

Dusty gets the money. He has to play the game. Not AFL. The money game.

Dining with match-rigging identities is the other game.

Mais. Non.
Speaking of NRL I've just been watching /listening to a podcast featuring Nathan Cleary for those who have any interest in the game.
A lot to do with US sports and he was pretty focused on the latest odds and having a slash at this and that.
No wonder young blokes with plenty of disposable income get themselves into money trouble and by extension I imagine are more easily coerced into areas of illegality, if you get my drift.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Speaking of NRL I've just been watching /listening to a podcast featuring Nathan Cleary for those who have any interest in the game.

Josh Ado-carr will play for Melbourne next year, after signing a 5 year deal with Canterbury.

I really hope this never happens in our game.

But I fear its not far away.

call me old fashioned, but these are times for us tigers to gallop across the dance floor with unbridled joy I reckon,

cause The AFL will sure as *smile* will try get a couple of cheap sectionals with a bridle sooner rather than later

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I see his at the Tyszu fight....must be just about Australia’s biggest celebrity now
Just watched the highlights (for use of a better word) Hunt v Gallen ..... Not necessarily dining out on lite n easy either of em... but especially Hunt!
Dustin was that close he could have handed him a pie between rounds.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Those around Lance Franklin have put daylight between Lance and this.

Dusty might need a minder if he can't handle the PR stuff. A lot of geniuses do.
Not sure how many believe that bs that was peddled, what ya reckon he was gonna say , ohh yea we re mates from way back

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Lonely nights in Chicago??
Not that sad fortunately . Was simply a partner of an outlaws rello. Someone I'd never met before n didn't know anything about. Bunch of people spent a couple of hours having lunch at a restaurant. Bloke could have been a mass murderer or drug dealer or whatever for all I knew. It's not that hard to share a table with complete unknowns.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Not that sad fortunately . Was simply a partner of an outlaws rello. Someone I'd never met before n didn't know anything about. Bunch of people spent a couple of hours having lunch at a restaurant. Bloke could have been a mass murderer or drug dealer or whatever for all I knew. It's not that hard to share a table with complete unknowns.
Not me champ.
Its funny the actual photo shows Franklin sitting comfortably next to this bloke and the only photo they have of Dusty is of him talking to someone behind a post.
Its more feasible that Dusty was talking to a bloke asking him the time or he has just recognised him and having a chat.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Not sure how many believe that bs that was peddled, what ya reckon he was gonna say , ohh yea we re mates from way back

We believe what's written in the newspapers, Billy. Franklin's camp handled it very well. Martin's camp was naive and possibly asleep.

Hayson? Yeah, nah.

Oh, Dusty hit Lance up about the superior offerings at the Hayson table? That's what we think happened. Naive.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Crooks and footballers, older tale than Cain and Able. Always have been linked always will.
Gambling and crooks. Besties forever. Even older tale and much more popular.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
10-minute highlight video of the greatest midfielder of the 21st century is on the AFL website.

Let’s face it, you couldn’t possibly have something better to do over the next 10 minutes.

Consider it a form of gratefulness training.

Reactions: 3 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
10-minute highlight video of the greatest midfielder of the 21st century is on the AFL website.

Let’s face it, you couldn’t possibly have something better to do over the next 10 minutes.

Ya reckon they could at least update their own content over at HQ... Pretty poor for what's supposed to be the most viewed sports code website in the country!

Dustin Martin (225 games from 2010-present)

You only have to look at the 2017 season to see why 'Dusty' is not only the Tigers' best midfielder this century but among the club's best ever players. In that record-breaking season, he won nearly every individual award on offer, including becoming the first player in history to win the Brownlow, the Norm Smith and premiership in the same year. He added another flag and Norm Smith to his resume in 2019, while he is also a three-time All Australian and two-time best and fairest. Trent Cotchin and Brett Deledio are next best, but neither possess the match-winning ability that makes Martin one of the best players in the competition. - Ben Sutton

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

It must be 10 minutes of the 2020 GF is it?
You'd need a few hours to watch highlights of the great mans career.

Reactions: 5 users

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Sliding doors moment. In the 2009 draft, Melbourne draft Dusty at number 1 or number 2 instead of Trengove or Scully. What impact and success would Dusty have had in a Melbourne jumper?. In hindsight, Melbourne got it completely wrong and didn't think Martin was worthy of a number one or two pick. Thank goodness that Melbourne messed up big time. Dusty has been the perfect fit for the RFC for the last 10 years.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Sliding doors moment. In the 2009 draft, Melbourne draft Dusty at number 1 or number 2 instead of Trengove or Scully. What impact and success would Dusty have had in a Melbourne jumper?. In hindsight, Melbourne got it completely wrong and didn't think Martin was worthy of a number one or two pick. Thank goodness that Melbourne messed up big time. Dusty has been the perfect fit for the RFC for the last 10 years.

But don’t you feel a ........ little bit ........ sorry ... for .........Melbourne ... ....... I’m having trouble typing with a straight face

• Haha

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Martin 1, Naitanui 2.

Would have been a fairly different decade for Melbourne.
Dusty, NicNat, Fyfe.

How tidy would two of that threesome have been?

Scully, Trengove, Morabito.

Recruiters nightmare from that year.

Wouldn't have complained at the time if we'd picked up Mora, reckon God himself mighta decided to compensate the Frockers by letting them have Fyfe because of the way Mora's career and knees imploded. Maybe he figured the Demons could *smile* up their own *smile* n look after themselves regarding their selections.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007

Thank Jordan McMahon

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
The logic behind taking Scully and Trengove ahead of Martin was sound at the time. Both were very highly rated juniors, had great leadership potential and were probably safer bets compared to Martin. The decision was vindicated somewhat during their first two seasons when both averaged 20+ disposals and looked like jets but without the behavioral “challenges” Dusty had.

The problem was development and culture. Scully famously abandoning an end of season trip not liking what he saw from teammates then leaving for GWS after only two years. Trengove being burdened with the captaincy after only two seasons and then having to battle a serious foot problem which eventually ruined his entire career. Not isolated instances either with Melbourne proving capable of destroying plenty of talented youngsters promising careers in subsequent years.

Martin has gone on to become a legend of the game but I’d bet a significant amount money that if we had picks 1 and 2 in that draft we’d have done the same as Melbourne and taken Scully and Trengove.

Reactions: 2 users