Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I never realised that pick number 6 in this draft was a champion netballer..... hmmm, having seen him play in the grand final, things are so much clearer now!

Dustin and an extremely skinny DTLD.... *smile* time flies :(

that vic country clip is amazing!

You would swear Dusty was a left footer from this footage

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
that vic country clip is amazing!

You would swear Dusty was a left footer from this footage
Actually @eZyT that's exactly what I thought too.... ... hit up the 'netballer';) a number of times.... probably wouldn't have got a touch otherwise!

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I never realised that pick number 6 in this draft was a champion netballer..... hmmm, having seen him play in the grand final, things are so much clearer now!

Dustin and an extremely skinny DTLD.... *smile* time flies :(

I think Dusty was better on his left back then than he is now. Or is his right so good he doesn't need his left.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think Dusty was better on his left back then than he is now. Or is his right so good he doesn't need his left.

Higlet once told me dimma hates players using their non-preferred,

so I'd guess Dusty is following the rules?

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
I think this is very true. I remember always lamenting that Essendon could take players who were not touted as stars when they were juniors and turn them into stars. Meanwhile Richmond would take early draft picks who were proven performers at their level and develop none or maybe one of them into a star.

Development is hugely important.

My observations have also led me to the opinion that turning around a club in terms of being able to develop players well is damned difficult. You see it every year, some clubs just don't seem to be able to take a great young player and get them to AFL level, and those same clubs spend years, even decades, with the inability to develop players. As a Richmond supporter I know this well as I saw our club do it for so many years. Credit to those who managed to turn this around. Essendon are a great example at present of losing this ability, and I suspect it will take time to turn it around. Melbourne seem to be hopeless at developing players and have been for decades, they need to seriously work out how to change this.

It isn't so much who you draft, important though that is, it is whether you can pick players who are good enough and get them to the next level. As Dimma often says - all the players in the draft can kick, mark, handball, run etc,. The club has to take them to the next level to be good AFL players.

DS
Clubs that don't develop players are clubs with a poor culture on and off the field. Essendon went from great to Hird. Collingwood dropped away after Malthouse.

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He's not don't arguing nearly as much as he used to which is a bit disappointing. Really enjoy a dusty don't argue.

Reactions: 2 users

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I think this is very true. I remember always lamenting that Essendon could take players who were not touted as stars when they were juniors and turn them into stars. Meanwhile Richmond would take early draft picks who were proven performers at their level and develop none or maybe one of them into a star.

Development is hugely important.

My observations have also led me to the opinion that turning around a club in terms of being able to develop players well is damned difficult. You see it every year, some clubs just don't seem to be able to take a great young player and get them to AFL level, and those same clubs spend years, even decades, with the inability to develop players. As a Richmond supporter I know this well as I saw our club do it for so many years. Credit to those who managed to turn this around. Essendon are a great example at present of losing this ability, and I suspect it will take time to turn it around. Melbourne seem to be hopeless at developing players and have been for decades, they need to seriously work out how to change this.

It isn't so much who you draft, important though that is, it is whether you can pick players who are good enough and get them to the next level. As Dimma often says - all the players in the draft can kick, mark, handball, run etc,. The club has to take them to the next level to be good AFL players.

DS
Made me I'll to come across the TAC future stars episode with Plough redoing the 2004 draft.

Shifter basically says Tambling was only playing against 2nd Division talent. Deledio no doubt was hamstrung by the development and our requirements to have him in multiple positions as we were so low on talent.

Come a long way on development that's for sure.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
He's not don't arguing nearly as much as he used to which is a bit disappointing. Really enjoy a dusty don't argue.
The opposition have figured it out and it’s much less effective these days. Opponents now try to grab the arm instead of going for the body when Martin does the don’t argue.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
The opposition have figured it out and it’s much less effective these days. Opponents now try to grab the arm instead of going for the body when Martin does the don’t argue.

In other words, rather than start an argument they’ve learned to nag and nag and nag. Sometimes they even pretend to be helping him, the sneaky buggers.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
That’s true, they did eventually figure it out, but like the great players do, Dustin found other ways to hurt them.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
That’s true, they did eventually figure it out, but like the great players do, Dustin found other ways to hurt them.
Yep. Dusty just dances around them most times. Then when he's feeling a bit fancy n high spirited he sometimes even gives the old hips a touch of the gyrate n chubbies up all the Tiger fans.

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I did love the way he just removed Danger's hand when Danger was trying to tackle him just before he kicked his last goal in the GF. Pure magic.

DS

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It annoys the hell out of me that Diverflog has 8 All Australian and Dusty only 4, what a ******* joke.

Anyhow, that wouldn't bother Dusty, he's got 3 Normie's and :cupgold :cupgold:cupgold

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Shane Tuck news just surfaces and this idiot had the nerve to try and edge Dusty into the ring....
Think I read somewhere that he's mates with Dusty n that Dusty's done some training, maybe even sparring with Zarrafa. Probably nothing more than a bit of publicity hype n banter going on. Isn't Zarrafa supposed to be fighting Choc Mundine in a couple of weeks?

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Think I read somewhere that he's mates with Dusty n that Dusty's done some training, maybe even sparring with Zarrafa. Probably nothing more than a bit of publicity hype n banter going on. Isn't Zarrafa supposed to be fighting Choc Mundine in a couple of weeks?
Boxing training is brilliant for fitness and hand/eye coordination. Jumping into the ring to have a fight is plain stupid. I don’t think Dusty is stupid.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Boxing training is brilliant for fitness and hand/eye coordination. Jumping into the ring to have a fight is plain stupid. I don’t think Dusty is stupid.
Don't think the Dusty one is licensed to fight, also highly unlikely that he'd be permitted to fight someone as experienced as Zarrafa when he hasn't actually stepped into the ring Amateur or Pro before. It'll just be a bit of media noise.