Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
It's an interesting prospect. The one thing he has never done is be super fit.

Yes, he works exceptionally hard and is in elite condition but there's always been an element of ying and yang in his lifestyle which prevents getting to the really upper echelon aerobically.

He's just about at the end of the line for peak physicality so it would be great to see him explore that while he can. It also wouldn't do his hopes of longevity any harm to try and play a bit lighter from this stage on. The odds are against him going on past his early 30s at the mid 90s he has been getting around at for the past couple of years.

As for the Sydney stuff, it wouldn't surprise me. Life is pretty hard for him in Melbourne.
Every year he works on a specific improvement. One year (was it 2019 or last year?) he had worked on his overhead marking. Cant remember there being any change to his game.
Sounds like pre season puff.
Dusty getting better is mouth watering but realistically its small bikkies.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
If Dusty were to go to another club it would be the saddest day of my football life. It is real love we all have for this SUPERSTAR.
My guess it becomes about legacy.
Can he keep winning premierships?
In 3 to 4 years the swans will have a reasonable top 8 team.
But we will have Shai, Balta, Ross, Dow and 2 Riolis.
Reckon we will be going alright

And he can move to Sydney when he retires. Or somewhere overseas.

Reactions: 1 user

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
He could swan around the club like Richo after he retires and still earn his keep. His charisma is gold for marketing.

maisie928

Tiger Cub
Aug 10, 2020
Yeah, he can't go anywhere without attention and he doesn't enjoy it so he avoids doing it. Someone like Warne would just pop into a supermarket around the corner because he thrives on the attention but someone like Dustin chooses an apartment in a building that is predominantly asian residents because they have no interest in him.
It must feel pretty claustrophobic at times. If this Sydney Swans talk is just Ralph Carr nonsense, it sounds like Dusty might leave Melbourne once his playing career is over.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Every year he works on a specific improvement. One year (was it 2019 or last year?) he had worked on his overhead marking. Cant remember there being any change to his game.
Sounds like pre season puff.
Dusty getting better is mouth watering but realistically its small bikkies.
His overhead marking has definitely improved.

Reactions: 1 users

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
Is this Ralph. .... being Ralph, doing a little bit of mischief to get a few extra years tacked on?
Maybe we wake one morning to the news that Dustin is a Tiger for Life..... again!

dude's just doing his job. Expect plenty of articles like this in the next few years

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Win us another one and I will begrudgingly let him go. Win us 5 and I'll chip in for airport taxi.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
mateship is everything to Dusty, Carr is setting a framework for negotiation of the next contract.

with Richmond.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
mateship is everything to Dusty, Carr is setting a framework for negotiation of the next contract.

with Richmond.
Agree Carts.

Carr looking for an extra 3 years.

Martin will be Tiger for life. It’s just a matter of how long?

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
It was widely reported and acknowledged that he signed a 7 year contract at the end of 2017. That would mean it expires at end of 2024 season. Unless there is something in the contract that Carr and the club is not telling us?

Anyway worry about it if it gets to that stage. But that’d be just like Sydney; offering a huge contract to a bloke well into his 30s. Ridiculous even if he is one of the best of all time. Superficial club from a superficial city.
Attempting to buy success isn't a new thing for Sydney.
Personal i reckon once he's done with Footy he won't be living in Melbourne anyway as he wouldn't be able to get out of bed without ppl hassling him etc.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
My view - press will beat this up to try and distabilise the Tigers like every other time they come out with this type of crap. Surely at least one of them can add 2017 plus 7 and then ask some relevant questions re contracts etc.
Media? Do some research? C'mon mate now ur just being silly ;)

• Haha