Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Surely not even Kornes can think that coaches just ‘let’ Dusty do his own thing. He’s just that good. That’s one of the things that makes Dusty so great, no one can work out how to stop him. It’s the same with all of the genuine greats. In their prime, they are almost impossible to stop.

Reading that article I don't think Cornes was having a go at Dusty's class at all. I thought he was rightly pointing out times where there were clear mismatches and Dusty too free. Yes a lot of that comes down to gameplan and smarts but it does surprise me sometimes that other teams don't plan to stop Dusty as much as they probably should. I wouldn't want to be tasked with the job.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
It's not just the moron Cornes sounding off on how to stop Dusty -

Jordan Lewis says " You need a junkyard dog on him..."
Brad Johnson, ".. you need a scragger ... up in his grill..."

thanks for the insights Brad and Jordan I'm surprised yr not coaching
A couple of years ago, Gaddy claimed that you needed to start a fight with him to unsettle him. They honestly have nfi.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It's not just the moron Cornes sounding off on how to stop Dusty -

Jordan Lewis says " You need a junkyard dog on him..."
Brad Johnson, ".. you need a scragger ... up in his grill..."

thanks for the insights Brad and Jordan I'm surprised yr not coaching

wouldn't even have been insightful in 1975.

I spent summer placing Dusty in the top 3 of all time with Lethal and Hungry, mostly first.

But he reminded me Thursday night that he is head and shoulders above the opposition.

I guess I just needed to process the unprecedented, which isn't easy to do.

Hes the best ever. He really is.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
He's set a new standard, consistency*, durability, gamebreaking, big game playing. The stark irrefuteable difference between Dusty and other recent giants of the game, is that they flopped in at least some GFs, Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett Snr, Buddy, chuck in Dangerfield. (Fyfe was brilliant as a young player in his only GF, but missed goals).

(apart from possibly Leigh Matthews, I'm not familiar enough with his GF performances, depends how far you want to go back for comparisons. Obviously fellow tigers Royce and KB were also bankable GF players).

* some pundits might question the consistency a bit, but I won't have a bar of it. The so-called quiet games he can have in the early parts of seasons are still very good games, just quiet in terms of Dusty's standards.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I find it hilarious when critics claim Dusty took years to be any good, unlike guys like Dangerfield who were stars from the start. What horseshit. He was one of our best players from debut.

Year 1:
Dusty 21 of 22 games, average 20.2 disposals, 0.5 goals.
Dangerfield: 2 games, average 6 disposals, 0.5 goals.
Fyfe: 18 games, 16.1 disposals, 0.8 goals.

Now, okay, Danger was nine months younger in his first year. So let's look at Danger's second year:
21 games, 13.0 disposals, 1.0 goals

Year 2 for Dusty: 22 games, 22.1 disposals, 1.5 goals
Fyfe: 21 games, 25.1 disposals, 0.9 goals
Year 3 for Danger: 19 games, 15.7 disposals, 1.4 goals

Year 3
Dusty: 20 games, 22.4 disposals, 1.1 goals
Fyfe: 11 games, 23.4 disposals, 0.4 goals
Danger (year 4): 22 games, 17.1 disposals, 1.1 goals

It's clear, Dangerfield was the one who took time to get going.

Dusty has never averaged fewer than 20 disposals per game across a season, and only in his first year and 2016 has he averaged less than a goal a game.

But he has half as many AA jumpers as Stagerfraud. Who gives a *smile*.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I find it hilarious when critics claim Dusty took years to be any good, unlike guys like Dangerfield who were stars from the start. What horseshit. He was one of our best players from debut.

Year 1:
Dusty 21 of 22 games, average 20.2 disposals, 0.5 goals.
Dangerfield: 2 games, average 6 disposals, 0.5 goals.
Fyfe: 18 games, 16.1 disposals, 0.8 goals.

Now, okay, Danger was nine months younger in his first year. So let's look at Danger's second year:
21 games, 13.0 disposals, 1.0 goals

Year 2 for Dusty: 22 games, 22.1 disposals, 1.5 goals
Fyfe: 21 games, 25.1 disposals, 0.9 goals
Year 3 for Danger: 19 games, 15.7 disposals, 1.4 goals

Year 3
Dusty: 20 games, 22.4 disposals, 1.1 goals
Fyfe: 11 games, 23.4 disposals, 0.4 goals
Danger (year 4): 22 games, 17.1 disposals, 1.1 goals

It's clear, Dangerfield was the one who took time to get going.

Dusty has never averaged fewer than 20 disposals per game across a season, and only in his first year and 2016 has he averaged less than a goal a game.

well done mate, This is why PRE is the best

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I find it hilarious when critics claim Dusty took years to be any good, unlike guys like Dangerfield who were stars from the start. What horseshit. He was one of our best players from debut

Not sure Dusty's to big a fan of jumpers, looks more a bling man to me. Got shiny dingly dangly's everywhere.

Reactions: 1 user

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
The last 10 minutes of the game on Thursday night, classic Dusty.

Reactions: 1 user

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
havent seen him look this fresh and fit in round 1 since 2017 ,

Could be an interesting season

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Dusty's never had less than 20 possessions star must be leading the AFL record books.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
There is a lot of Dusty talk early this season. More than most. He's also looking fitter and hungrier.

The two combined will have Umpires always going into the votes thinking "Did Martin deserve any?"

Dusty should add a second Brownlow to his name. Probably an All Australian Captaincy too

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Jack Ross had some thoughts about Dustin Martin after Thurs nights game.

Teammate Ross told the Herald Sun after his own excellent cameo on Thursday night that Martin’s confidence was at an all-time high.

“He is a freak, pretty much. I didn’t think he could get any better than he was, but he’s come back and he’s just in incredible nick,” Ross said.

“He has run all these PBs (personal bests) and is dominating on the track and tonight he was doing what he just does. He is a big moment player and with the longer quarters and the high-scoring game, it is just falling into his hands nicely.

“He is a pretty quiet guy but he is so attached with the whole mental side of the game.

“His self-belief is second to none and in games he does a lot of deep breaths and brings himself back into the present.

“If we are under the pump, he will get us all back into the centre square and tell us all to take some deep breaths and remain calm.

“He’s quiet and not outrageously cocky or arrogant, he is just demanding of the big moments and wants the ball in his hands. His self-confidence is through the roof.”

Is there a better big-game player in the AFL? Picture: Getty Images
Is there a better big-game player in the AFL? Picture: Getty Images

• Love
Reactions: 16 users

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
:)

Massive difference in broken tackles and Patrick Naish is hilarious.

Martin has broken twice as many tackles as any other player in the AFL over the past five years, according to Champion Data. Some players barely break one tackle; Martin breaks hundreds.

Since 2016, he has broken 206 tackles in 102 home-and-away games. The next best is Dangerfield, with 103 from the same number of games. After them comes Melbourne’s midfield bull Jack Viney with 100 in 83 games.

Don’t argue, the numbers don’t lie. The competition can’t touch Dusty.

The teammate who brought Dusty down

When Steve Smith made hundred after hundred in the 2019 Ashes and England’s bowlers were bereft of ideas as to how to get him out, Nathan Lyon wondered what the fuss was about.

Lyon routinely got him out in the nets, the off-spinner laughed in an ABC interview on grand final day 2019.
Richmond winger Patrick Naish is like Lyon. He wonders what all the fuss is about.
During a practice match early last year, Martin had the ball and looked up to see the menacing figure of Naish. Generously listed at 78kg, possibly while wearing clothes, boots and carrying a bag, Naish went at Martin with trepidation and a plan.
“It was a bit weird because he sort of fended me off but because I have a massive physique I was able to stay with him. Look, I am massive, so I was able to tackle him. Yeah, I brought him down,” Naish recalled.
“He had the ball and pretty much tried to take me on and I just caught him. With Dusty you have to get a bit lower which is what I did. By the time I tackled him he was a bit too slow getting the don’t argue up. I completely beat him for pace.”

Martin didn’t like it. But the rest of Richmond did.
“He hated it. He whacked me afterwards. He said ‘stop being a champion’,” Naish said.
“The boys loved it though, especially Shane Edwards. He loved it the most. He gave it to Dusty. He went straight to him and said ‘Not today mate’.”
During the Tigers’ long stretch in hubs last year, the moment Naish brought down Martin was revisited more than once. In team meetings, at breakfast, on a bus, a voice would float over the room: “Hey Dusty remember the day I tackled you?”

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Massive difference in broken tackles and Patrick Naish is hilarious.

Martin has broken twice as many tackles as any other player in the AFL over the past five years, according to Champion Data. Some players barely break one tackle; Martin breaks hundreds.

Since 2016, he has broken 206 tackles in 102 home-and-away games. The next best is Dangerfield, with 103 from the same number of games. After them comes Melbourne’s midfield bull Jack Viney with 100 in 83 games.

Don’t argue, the numbers don’t lie. The competition can’t touch Dusty.

The teammate who brought Dusty down

When Steve Smith made hundred after hundred in the 2019 Ashes and England’s bowlers were bereft of ideas as to how to get him out, Nathan Lyon wondered what the fuss was about.

Lyon routinely got him out in the nets, the off-spinner laughed in an ABC interview on grand final day 2019.
Richmond winger Patrick Naish is like Lyon. He wonders what all the fuss is about.
During a practice match early last year, Martin had the ball and looked up to see the menacing figure of Naish. Generously listed at 78kg, possibly while wearing clothes, boots and carrying a bag, Naish went at Martin with trepidation and a plan.
“It was a bit weird because he sort of fended me off but because I have a massive physique I was able to stay with him. Look, I am massive, so I was able to tackle him. Yeah, I brought him down,” Naish recalled.
“He had the ball and pretty much tried to take me on and I just caught him. With Dusty you have to get a bit lower which is what I did. By the time I tackled him he was a bit too slow getting the don’t argue up. I completely beat him for pace.”

Martin didn’t like it. But the rest of Richmond did.
“He hated it. He whacked me afterwards. He said ‘stop being a champion’,” Naish said.
“The boys loved it though, especially Shane Edwards. He loved it the most. He gave it to Dusty. He went straight to him and said ‘Not today mate’.”
During the Tigers’ long stretch in hubs last year, the moment Naish brought down Martin was revisited more than once. In team meetings, at breakfast, on a bus, a voice would float over the room: “Hey Dusty remember the day I tackled you?”
Naish - massive physique??????