Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Think the Scott’s actually went Nick after he received an injury during a game. I can remember Scotty Turner following Jim Stynes around trying to shake his hand when Jimmy had just returned from a hand injury.
Fractured Collarbone from memory.

Reactions: 1 user

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
CEOs have transferable skills. Wider market.

AFL players are in a small market. No transferable skills.

The knee-jerk reaction to an individual salary cap is understandable in a free market economy. It is not a question of whether the champs are worth lots, but $500,000 is $10,000 per week. If that is not enough to attract a player, so be it. Most of us would be battling to save $10,000 in a good year.

Further, an individual cap would lead to weaker clubs keeping their heroes and more of the pie for the short careers of the fringe players.

Your odds of being a top AFL footballer are much better than pursuing the big money sports.

I certainly don't begrudge paying players well, but the occasional glance in the rear vision mirror can help us gain perspective.
So what matters is achillesjones "perspective", this should trump everyone else in society's wish to pay money to see the best of the best and for the best of the best to be compensated with what society deems them worth. Perhaps your rear vision mirror needs a clean?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Given the amount of gambling advertising around footy it's pretty clear that gamblers are paying for a lot of the TV and internet rights to the game and hence the players' salaries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Wonder how the 11 others in Mills AIS squad have fared. And Pendles made the right choice, automatic hall of fame, Collingwod all time great, would be in AFL team of 21st century. Mills up there with AGaze as Australian basketball legend.
We need our NBA basketballers to sponsor our football clubs.
We need our NBA basketballers to sponsor our NBL clubs.

I'd hate to see the AFL go the same way as American sports when it comes to player wages. Some players earn more than entire countries. No one is worth that much money.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I'm not doubting he lost significant weight....just query on the amount
I spent two weeks in a coma two years ago, immobilised, no food and pretty much no organ worked. I didn't lose 15.
What is Dusty? 90 or 95kg?...I dont reckon he has dropped to 75 or 80kg.
Not sure what my point is really only a query on the figures....
Easily could have. 10-15kg not difficult when you've been sick. He would have had periods where he could hardly eat at all. It's been 2.5 months now.

PS glad you made it through your coma episode, that would have been scary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It is a serious injury, I would expect he will be fine for Round 1, presumably heal the kidney and then adjust the diet.

But I would also think we would be very careful with Dustin. There is little point in having him play in Round 1 if there is any question over his preparation for the season. Give him plenty of time to heal and plenty of time to get back his strength. If that means he takes a few weeks longer to return to the team then so be it. No particular hurry early in the season, no pressure on Dustin to heal quickly, make sure he is all healed and ready to go.

DS

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Great post, Craig.

I'd add a bit more but I'm conflicted so I'll save it for another day, but I will say that reports of Dustin's demise are greatly exaggerated. ;)
Come on TBR - no one reads PRE apart from us. Please do tell.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Great post, Craig.

I'd add a bit more but I'm conflicted so I'll save it for another day, but I will say that reports of Dustin's demise are greatly exaggerated. ;)
Better do a good job mate..... Bad enough you're considered the dissident here, what with spruiking your conspiracy theory that we're not being screwed by umpires, but by ourselves and that the media aren't out to get us.....you're one Dusty delayed pre-season start away from pitch forks and torches.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Might have to try this all fruit diet if it can shed 15 kegs in two months.

I imagine a lot of it is due to the diarrhea though

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
The great man.
Hope he slowly builds his strength, muscle and fitness.

His injury was serious as we are all aware and his weight loss is there for all of us to see.

Attachments

• DE1DBFD4-3451-4A2B-A46B-B044B67F1302.jpeg
    DE1DBFD4-3451-4A2B-A46B-B044B67F1302.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: 1 users