Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
The great man.
Hope he slowly builds his strength, muscle and fitness.

His injury was serious as we are all aware and his weight loss is there for all of us to see.
Chop stick scandle rears it’s ugly head again.
His arms now look like chopsticks

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The great man.
Hope he slowly builds his strength, muscle and fitness.

His injury was serious as we are all aware and his weight loss is there for all of us to see.
Bloody hell looks terrible. It's like he's got that c......thing.

• Wow

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Bloody hell looks terrible. It's like he's got that c......thing.
I’m the same TF. Can never say the ‘word’. Doesn’t look great does he?
Not expecting ‘huge’ things from him until maybe half way through the year.
We all know the old saying. Mind may be willing but body not.
we thankful that it wasn’t that serious that they had to remove it to save his life.

It was serious enough!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Here’s hoping Dusty’s looking a lot better by Christmas and on his way , looks a mile off it right now but season is six months away I’m sure there’s a tiered program

Reactions: 1 user

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1022613/dusty-making-good-progress

Some more reassurance for those who need it.

Can also say that the weight loss is of absolutely zero concern. The photos are misleading because for some reason Dustin wears every t-shirt 6 sizes too big. Yes he has dropped some weight but if you stand next to him he is a still a big, powerful athlete by mere mortal standards.
Yeah I agree, without your insider knowledge, don't think he looks that bad.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
A lot easier to put weight on than take it off. Give him 6 weeks on a high carb and protein diet and he'll be back to his playing weight.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1022613/dusty-making-good-progress

Some more reassurance for those who need it.

Can also say that the weight loss is of absolutely zero concern. The photos are misleading because for some reason Dustin wears every t-shirt 6 sizes too big. Yes he has dropped some weight but if you stand next to him he is a still a big, powerful athlete by mere mortal standards.
I take it with his genes that he would be the type to just walk past a gym and put on muscle?

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
The quantity, density, and ratio of his muscle and nerve fibres will change temporarily. But they’ll go back to normal quickly - much quicker than if he was building them up for the first time.

He’ll be fine.

Going from physical specimen to hospital patient in the blink of an eye must‘ve been a gratitude-inducing experience for him.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
As Big Richo has stated, I would expect Dusty to be up and about come the season start, and would not be surprised to see him a little trimmed down during early pre season but he will no doubt increase his protein intake as his kidney function improves with healing thus assisting him to put mass back on and regain strength.

Kidney trauma is no simple thing, as the kidneys are an amazing and complex organs which perform many functions from assisting / maintaining systemic blood pressure regulation via hormone release to control fluid levels in the body and helping to balance the bodies PH via metabolism and regulation of electroloytes, filtration of proteins and associayted byproducts, hormone secretion and production, red blood cell formation via erythropoetin (EPO) prodcuction in the adrenals and adrenalin / cortisol,in a response to the bodies sympathetic nervous system requirements, and obviously the production or urine from metablic waste in the bloodstream.!

Dusty's weight loss and fruit and veggie diet and renal injury all go hand in hand and are normal par for the course in a patient that has suffered renal trauma.

His diet is simply to minimise protein intake and relieve stress workload on his kidneys by creating a more neutral environment without high levels of protein, albumin's, amino s, creatine, Uric acid and Nitrogen.

Dusty will also suffer a degree of muscular atrophy as he is not taking in protein, or indulging in heavy physical training to maintain his mass, much in the same way as a broken leg muscle atrophies or shrinks.

Renal failure patients are also often placed on such a diet to assist recovery of function if possible.

Animal; proteins contain high amounts of amino acids proteins and substances like creatine, and create by products Uric acid, Nitrogen, which produce acidity in the body and put a bit of work on the kidneys to not only process these substances but also to regulate the changes to help keep the body in a more balanced state.

The body does not heal as well under duress but more to the point that such metabolites create increased workload on the kidneys, and in Dustin's case thats not ideal.

The flip side is that the body needs protein to re build and heal, thus a very delicate balancing act in assisting his recovery.

By limiting the high protein diet the kidneys workload is lessened and the recovering kidney can heal and the good kidney can easily do the work of 2 when not being flogged.

Apologies for the ramble.
Thanks Craigo, tldr :D

You mentioned EPO production, which as I understood from my studies and lit review of the tour de France, isn't EPO useful for oxygen in the bloodstream?

So an athlete in aerobic sports such as footy would need high EPO levels?
After kidney damage would there be lingering effects.

Does it relate to not being able to run after a night on the turns? Asking for a friend

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
He wouldn't need a special diet, is odds on to fat right up once he retires. :rotfl2
Sounds like code for a love of KFC or some such. Maybe Corn Chips can confirm if he has seen him frequent his favourite Melbourne eatery.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I never tire of reading about our Dusty.

TIGER GREAT DECLARES DUSTY THE GREATEST EVER​

Triple Richmond premiership player Barry Richardson didn’t think he would live to see a better Tiger than the quartet he played with from 1967-74.

Royce Hart, Ian Stewart and Francis Bourke would be named at centre half-forward, centre and wing in the AFL Team of the Century, with Kevin Bartlett a five-times best and fairest (three in premiership years) and a five-time flag winner.

But Richardson, 75, who also coached the Tigers and became club president, has seen enough from Dustin Martin to rank him No. 1 in yellow and black.

2020 AFL Grand Final
Tiger greats rate Dustin Martin as the best player to ever feature for Richmond. Credit: News Corp Australia
“I never thought I would say that in my lifetime given I played with Royce Hart, Francis Bourke, Ian Stewart and Kevin Bartlett, but name one player in the history of the game who has consistently played better in big games than Dusty?” Richardson said.

“As great as they were, all of Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett Snr and Leigh Matthews had a few quiet finals. I’ve never seen Martin play a bad final, or even remotely near it. Probably his worst was against Collingwood in the 2018 preliminary final.
“There have been some absolute superstars in my time but not all of them have been ultimate team men like Martin. He has the vision of Ian Stewart or Greg Williams, the disposal efficiency of Gary Ablett Jr and the strength of any midfielder to have played the game. Plus he doesn’t miss when he has to kick a vital goal.”
Richardson’s views on Martin are part of a Hardie Grant book titled The Story Continues: Dustin Martin (RRP $39.99).
Is Dustin Martin the greatest Richmond player ever?
THE VIEWS OF THE LEGENDS
“If I picked the best six players I have ever seen, then Dustin Martin is in that group.”
Triple Brownlow medallist Bob Skilton
“How well he’s played in three grand finals separates him from virtually anyone.”
Australian Football Hall of Fame Legend Leigh Matthews
“He’s become so good you feel you are privileged being able to see him play.”
Australian Football Hall of Famer Chris Judd.

Reactions: 8 users