Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Horrible for Dusty, I feel for him.

Understand the notion that he could retire, but I feel that training and playing will provide the structure he has always needed.

Reactions: 7 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Yeah, going by the most information so far showing on news.com.au, he stated that he suffered from depression and desperately missed seeing his 3 sons and 2 step-daughters living in Australia. I think we all know who's fault this becomes.
The initial separation imposed by Dutton’s laws were bad but that was made much, much worse in the past two years with border lockdowns imposed by Ardern and Andrews. The strain on people’s mental health has been massive. So sad about Shane and sadly there are many more similar cases.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Sincerest condolences Dustin. It’s hard to lose your dad at a relatively young age.

Keep well young man.

Reactions: 5 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Sincerest condolences to Dusty and whole Martin family. Losing a parent is a milestone in anyone's life, especially for a son who was close to their father.

Hopefully Dusty can eventually come to terms with this and re-focus the remainder of his career and dedicate it to the memory of his dad, whom I'm certain was intensely proud of his son.

Talk of premature retirement very rash. As he said when he was drafted, "I was born to play this game." Not sure what Dusty would do with himself and could go astray perhaps. No doubt the club, players and Tiger Army will get around him.

Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Horrible for Dusty, I feel for him.

Understand the notion that he could retire, but I feel that training and playing will provide the structure he has always needed.
Agree. Worse thing he could do right now is give the game away. Having something to focus on is the most important thing in such a situation.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
What Dusty does is up to him.
He owes us nothing.
Terribly sad news, condolences to his whole family

Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Sincerest condolences to Dusty and whole Martin family. Losing a parent is a milestone in anyone's life, especially for a son who was close to their father.

Hopefully Dusty can eventually come to terms with this and re-focus the remainder of his career and dedicate it to the memory of his dad, whom I'm certain was intensely proud of his son.

Talk of premature retirement very rash. As he said when he was drafted, "I was born to play this game." Not sure what Dusty would do with himself and could go astray perhaps. No doubt the club, players and Tiger Army will get around him.

I reckon Dustin needs to keep playing to keep some certainty in his life, losing a parent is a difficult milestone in one's life but it shouldn't happen when you are so young.

Condolences to Shane Martin's family and friends.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I reckon Dustin needs to keep playing to keep some certainty in his life, losing a parent is a difficult milestone in one's life but it shouldn't happen when you are so young.

Condolences to Shane Martin's family and friends.

DS
Losing a parent ( father ) young can have an effort of your life.

I can sympathise and I feel hurt for what Dusty must be going through and that his dad will not be able to witness his sons life after football.

Witnessing his sons success up to date is something I guess but a son & dad bond is special.

My condolences to all of the Martin family and we will be behind Dusty ( in thoughts ) during this difficult period of his life.

I’m sad for Dusty.

Reactions: 13 users

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
Lost my dad 30 years ago at age 31. It damn well hurt then, and even now still miss the good times. Hope n pray that Dusty is keeping safe, and he is getting all the support he needs.

• Sad
Reactions: 13 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Lost my dad at 34.

Never gets easier.

My condolences and best wishes and thoughts to Dustin and his family.

2021 what a shitthouse of a year, can't wait to put it in the bin.

RIP Mr Shane Martin.

Stay strong Dustin .... Get around him RFC.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 20 users

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Love our Champ. Hope he is ok. This shitstorm of a pandemic has been incredibly vicious.
Sad to hear.
Regardless of his football talent he is a well loved tiger and I hope that he is being supported.
Xoxoxo

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I wonder whether the Morrison Government would allow Shane's body to be returned to Australia, if the family requested it.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Yeah, going by the most information so far showing on news.com.au, he stated that he suffered from depression and desperately missed seeing his 3 sons and 2 step-daughters living in Australia. I think we all know who's fault this becomes.

We can't control Dusty's life, but hopefully he can continue with us and not go down the road that Mark Mercuri of Essendon did nearly 20 years ago when his brother committed suicide.
Watching how dusty has faced adversity throughout his career , I’d suggest quitting would be the last thing he’d do . No doubt he’ll need time and space , his teammates and the structure of footy will be an important part of staying on the rails . Good luck dusty , take your time mate

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Life changing moment, grief beyond belief. He’s one of our own.

Lets hope he feels some of our love for him.

Reactions: 15 users