Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
To be honest Daniel, I think this is a really complicated and difficult situation and not easy for anyone involved.

Heart attack, complicated situation.

Best to respect the word of the great man himself and leave it at that I reckon.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
To be honest Daniel, I think this is a really complicated and difficult situation and not easy for anyone involved.

Irrespective of the facts,

Most of us will take a relatively nice rumour over a harsh truth,

Especially these days

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I certainly don't know what is fact or fiction with conflicting stories but below is an article supporting he didn't self harm but who knows for sure

There is a time and a place to believe the daily mail.

This being one.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
My best mates brother died suddenly at home, alone at the age of about 50. The initial assessment was suicide but it wasn't until they got the coroner's report that they found out it was a heart-attack. It made a big difference to his family and friends to know that he didn't take his own life.

Reactions: 11 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Got dustys book for xmas and finished it.

Really enjoyed it,

But jeez the qualifications of the ex-champs, refusing to state simply

'Hes the best ever'

Really, really *smile* me

A couple of them say hes got no left leg.

*smile* me

Last edited:
  • Haha

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018

Really enjoyed it,

'Hes the best ever'

*smile* me

I loved page 194 & 195 from ex-umpire Shaun Ryan who pretty much confirmed what most of us believed anyway. Tiny snippet:

"He was a star to umpire, not just because he didn't say too much but also because he was extremely trustworthy from an umpiring point of view in that you knew if he fell forward, then he had been pushed, because he never staged for free kicks. If he went to ground holding his head, you knew he had got one in the head. If he ever had a crack at you, then you knew the decision was wrong."

• Love
Reactions: 28 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
The manner of Shane Martin's death is not necessarily for public record. So any report can be adjusted. TBR has put this delicately.

I am a football fan who can offer no more than a kind wish for the bereaved family.

Next time I am at the football and on the boundary I will cross my wrists for Messrs Martin.

I will open this topic with my family tomorrow. That we all cross wrists.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The manner of Shane Martin's death is not necessarily for public record. So any report can be adjusted. TBR has put this delicately.

I am a football fan who can offer no more than a kind wish for the bereaved family.

Next time I am at the football and on the boundary I will cross my wrists for Messrs Martin.

I will open this topic with my family tomorrow. That we all cross wrists.
Round one as the team runs out, Tiger fans all round the ground raise cross wrists.

Gilligan n his mates can't fine the fans for crossed wrists.

• Love

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I loved page 194 & 195 from ex-umpire Shaun Ryan who pretty much confirmed what most of us believed anyway. Tiny snippet:

"He was a star to umpire, not just because he didn't say too much but also because he was extremely trustworthy from an umpiring point of view in that you knew if he fell forward, then he had been pushed, because he never staged for free kicks. If he went to ground holding his head, you knew he had got one in the head. If he ever had a crack at you, then you knew the decision was wrong."

Yeah i loved that too.

Hows ackermanis's endorsement?

Yeahbut, yeahbut, yeahbut, hes the best big game player ever.

Arent the big games the best games? Making you the best ever?

Its not like hes clark keating in the H&A.

And KB, craps on about dangerfield FFS. He must have missed both careers, and then gone to siphon the prostate late in the last qtr of dustys 3rd premiership?

I dont get it. Hes the best ever, subjectively and objectively. Just say the *smile* words

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Yeah i loved that too.

Hows ackermanis's endorsement?

Yeahbut, yeahbut, yeahbut, hes the best big game player ever.

Arent the big games the best games? Making you the best ever?

Its not like hes clark keating in the H&A.

And KB, craps on about dangerfield FFS. He must have missed both careers, and then gone to siphon the prostate late in the last qtr of dustys 3rd premiership?

I dont get it. Hes the best ever, subjectively and objectively. Just say the *smile* words
Was Aker praise worthy of him ?.Aker was a big game player to.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Really enjoyed it,

'Hes the best ever'

*smile* me
He doesn't need it. He's the greatest finals player ever. A bit like the Don is the greatest batsman ever. Knuckleheads try and argue otherwise but the facts/statistics do not lie. No one gets near the Don as a batsman and no one gets near Dusty as a finals player.

Dangerfield is an awesome H&A player. But he doesn't play at his best in finals. He's had decent finals game but he is generally below his H&A standard. Obvioulsy the moment gets to him in some way. Dustys best games are the biggest ones. He raises his level. Its what separates the very good from the great. The desire to be in those moments. I still get goosebumps watching those goals against the Cats in 2020. All of them showcased a man apart. He's *smile* poetic to watch.

Reactions: 13 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008

That really is a great quote.

I am sure though there will be similar lines in Dangerfield and Selwood's biographies.
From SHocking. or themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The anti-dusty bias in the footy punditry is stark. Not getting AA in 19 was total insanity, should have been in the first 3 or 4 picked FFS. He is the reverse Corey Enright/ Tom Stewart.. Dusty's 'out of form' is still elite, if he's not dominating games and winning them off his own boot, he's out of form apparently.

Why is it so? Connected to anti-richmond? Because he doesn't give much away? Doesn't self promote and suck up to the punditry? Jealousy? All of the above?

Reactions: 21 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The anti-dusty bias in the footy punditry is stark. Not getting AA in 19 was total insanity, should have been in the first 3 or 4 picked FFS. He is the reverse Corey Enright/ Tom Stewart.. Dusty's 'out of form' is still elite, if he's not dominating games and winning them off his own boot, he's out of form apparently.

Why is it so? Connected to anti-richmond? Because he doesn't give much away? Doesn't self promote and suck up to the punditry? Jealousy? All of the above?
I think all of the above, snake.

Reactions: 1 user

Sir

Tiger Superstar
Apr 23, 2004
I certainly don't know what is fact or fiction with conflicting stories but below is an article supporting he didn't self harm but who knows for sure

Thanks for providing this article - and I note the subsequent comments.

I guess I still have two questions (which may have already been answered):

A. When is the funeral and is/has Dusty been able to attend?

B. Does this mean there is no subsequent Toxicology report/or autopsy to confirm actual cause of death (heart attack). Surely this is mandated?

Merely curious

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia

Always felt like this. Many have said it doesnt matter as he has a brownlow and the normies and the flags, but looking back on the game in a historical perspective its akin to Michael Jordan losing the MVP to Karl Malone.

Maybe his formline is the most scruitinised one of all time.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

RFC itself falls into the trap of rating Dusty by a different scale.

Jayden Short was not, and will never be, a better, or fairer player than Dustin Martin in the 2020 premiership year.

Surely if Dusty wants to,

he captains the club he loves, and has lifted up?

Surely?

Surely the greatest AFL player in world history, will be given the option

of captaining his team?

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Dangerflog should forever be known as Arfa. Because he only ever plays Arfa game in finals. Gotta be one of the most over rated Champeens of the game ever.

Reactions: 7 users