Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
For mine, the one simple thing about Dusty's game that elevates him over any of the other Champion players that I've watched from over fifty years of following footy. For all his wonderful skills, ability and sheer brilliance, the one thing that stands head and shoulders above is his overall team game. Dusty constantly looks to bring the rest of his team mates into the game n elevates their opportunity to be involved and impact the game.
Can't recall ever seeing another of the many elite players over the years as willing to sacrifice the give it to me, I'll do it all myself figjam side of the game. He's obviously got a healthy dose of onfield figgy as all the best players have, but he shares n sets up his team mates better than anyone n it doesn't matter if it's a first gamer or twenty gamer or his long term besties, he constantly brings them all along for the ride.

• Love
Reactions: 24 users

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
For mine, the one simple thing about Dusty's game that elevates him over any of the other Champion players that I've watched from over fifty years of following footy. For all his wonderful skills, ability and sheer brilliance, the one thing that stands head and shoulders above is his overall team game. Dusty constantly looks to bring the rest of his team mates into the game n elevates their opportunity to be involved and impact the game.
Can't recall ever seeing another of the many elite players over the years as willing to sacrifice the give it to me, I'll do it all myself figjam side of the game. He's obviously got a healthy dose of onfield figgy as all the best players have, but he shares n sets up his team mates better than anyone n it doesn't matter if it's a first gamer or twenty gamer or his long term besties, he constantly brings them all along for the ride.
Hit the nail on the head. He is Magic Johnson like - a star that makes those around him better - incredibly rare.

Reactions: 8 users

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
He's a good man. As is dusty. Probably best to leave it at that.

Bottom line is that in the fully authorised book "The Story Continues Dustin Martin", Part Three, A Wealth of Knowledge is Jon Anderson talking to some of the greats of football. Whether Dustin himself chose the participants or if it was left up to Jon Anderson is not stipulated.

The list is: Barry 'Bones' Richardson, Bob Skilton, Des Tuddenham, Leigh Matthews, Malcom Blight, Gary Ablett senior, Greg Williams, Jason Akermanis, Brent 'Boomer' Harvey, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett junior, Cameron Ling, Brendan McCartney, Shaun Ryan, Tony Jewell, Kevin Bartlett, and Mike Sheahan. Every one of the names listed were also thanked by Dustin in the acknowledgements.

Page 116 has a couple of quotes from Trent Cotchin and Kane Lambert speaking about Dustin's leadership.
Cotchin points out that the very idea of a marquee player - a superstar - can be a daunting one in any club, particularly for a young draftee. Yet those players find themselves drawn into his orbit. "Dus has a natural ability to make you feel comfortable," he says. "A lot of talented players have challenges with other players who aren't as naturally gifted but he's just accepting that everyone's different. It's how he operates."
Lambert: "There's a narrative around what a leader should look like, and what they should do. But my view is that the greatest leaders are people who understand who they are, and why they are, and from there they can have empathy, and understanding towards others, and no one does that better than Dustin. He never judges. He never degrades. He does things his way but absolutely accepts your way."

End of page 147 and top of page 148, Ben Crowe speaks about Dustin: The values he holds dear are resilience, which he defines as not giving up. And optimism, including the genuine belief that something positive will come from all experiences, good and bad. And acceptance, in realising you can't change what has happened, and accepting this is the superpower that will allow him to move forward without worry.

Perhaps the incident six years ago was the wake up call needed to help a very talented kid morph into a remarkable young man who also happens to be a superstar not only on the field but off it as well.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Perhaps the incident six years ago was the wake up call needed to help a very talented kid morph into a remarkable young man who also happens to be a superstar not only on the field but off it as well.

There was no incident.

Reactions: 2 users

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
The book was OK. The best part was written by his Dad.
Found the stuff written by the various individuals at the end a bit weird. Des Tuddenham?? Bartlett?? Just fluff to fill out a few pages because everything else had been rehashed in earlier pages.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
The book was OK. The best part was written by his Dad.
Found the stuff written by the various individuals at the end a bit weird. Des Tuddenham?? Bartlett?? Just fluff to fill out a few pages because everything else had been rehashed in earlier pages.
Tuddy? Really? I can see the Richmond connection with KB, but has Tuddy had anything at all to do with Dusty?

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Ha ha.. I am sure none of you will recall, but.... I strongly (tongue in cheek) suggested that after the Dusty Chapstick affair , the RFC should have had the side run onto the ground through arched giant chopsticks , crossing over at the top, to form a tunnel. Black and yellow of course.
What a wonderful single finger gesture that would have been.
Honestly, it is all the idiotic media and sycophantic frenzy deserved.
Just another massive beat up.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I read an article today that reminded me of Dusty's greatness. I expect future statistical analyses to validate him for similar reasons to the below:

"Mr Messi’s standing relative to his contemporaries can be analysed reliably. Today, the location and result of every shot, dribble, pass and tackle are tracked. ku Leuven, a university, and SciSports, an analytics firm, have built a system to measure how each action affects a team’s odds of scoring, by comparing where the ball was before and after a player touched it."

Dusty's impact with the ball as a selfless team player is on another level to my eye. The way he breaks from pressure and runs diagonally in an arc towards goal from 70m out and then feathers a 30m pass has to be more effective than running in a straight line, yet both actions are treated as the same thing by most standard stats.

One might say that Dusty runs like a premiership flag curving in the breeze, while Dangerfield runs in a line that's as straight as a chopstick. One day, I expect a stats genius to find a way to better capture Dusty's influence on a game, similar to Messi.

:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2

Can't decide if this is the most delicious irony or sad delusion I've ever read. I think it's both.

You pollute every game day thread with the most vile, personal criticism of players and coaches and generally ruin the forum experience so much that you are constantly reported by people who swear you are an opposition supporter on here for no other reason than to make trouble and you want to talk about true supporters? You are the most anti Richmond person I know. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm ending this now because it's boring for everyone else but seriously, read your own posts once in a while.

Who are you talking to?!

This looks so strange to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I read an article today that reminded me of Dusty's greatness. I expect future statistical analyses to validate him for similar reasons to the below:

"Mr Messi’s standing relative to his contemporaries can be analysed reliably. Today, the location and result of every shot, dribble, pass and tackle are tracked. ku Leuven, a university, and SciSports, an analytics firm, have built a system to measure how each action affects a team’s odds of scoring, by comparing where the ball was before and after a player touched it."

Dusty's impact with the ball as a selfless team player is on another level to my eye. The way he breaks from pressure and runs diagonally in an arc towards goal from 70m out and then feathers a 30m pass has to be more effective than running in a straight line, yet both actions are treated as the same thing by most standard stats.

One might say that Dusty runs like a premiership flag curving in the breeze, while Dangerfield runs in a line that's as straight as a chopstick. One day, I expect a stats genius to find a way to better capture Dusty's influence on a game, similar to Messi.

Who are you talking to?!

This looks so strange to me.
Good insight on the angled run.
And the comparison to Danger too.
Makes sense

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Analytical data to measure n weigh the effect n value of every single action on a sporting field to verify n prove what the eye can see but the fan cannot properly explain.
Great for the boffins n experts, valuable info for recruiters n coaches. Would take all the bloody fun out of watching a game though, constantly referring back to ones notes as to how n why something just happened.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The captain selection meeting.

Jack G, Jack R, Grimes, Vlastuin.

The coaches. Livingstone.

— Now, look guys. There’s a bunch of hoops we need to go through before we make a final decision. Player feedback, media testing, a final interview… —

Dustin enters the meeting room.

*just give it to me.*

— But we thought —

*I’ll do it.*

The coaches glance at each other.

— Looks like we have our captain. —

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The captain selection meeting.

Jack G, Jack R, Grimes, Vlastuin.

The coaches. Livingstone.

— Now, look guys. There’s a bunch of hoops we need to go through before we make a final decision. Player feedback, media testing, a final interview… —

Dustin enters the meeting room.

*just give it to me.*

— But we thought —

*I’ll do it.*

The coaches glance at each other.

— Looks like we have our captain. —
Jacky G is my pick, but gotta feeling they're gonna make him VC.

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
I don't think it has TF, last I heard they were still working through the challenges of getting him back here or navigating the quarantine system to get to New Zealand.

Both were proving to be almost impossible unfortunately.
That's sad, hoping it all works out for Dusty.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Hey Chook agree that Dusty is more likely than KB to give the ball off but Dusty still ignores teammates and goes for the goal himself especially if the team needs a goal
It’s sad people can’t appreciate champions for what they were and park their club colours
I saw KB and Roycey live a lot , both champions , both very different
In that era Diacos Again very different again but brilliant

Lil Gaz had question marks over his achievements was he made to look good by a super strong Geelong , any good player would have stood out at the Gold Coast and finally in his twilight years the showering of free kicks
He did get a lot of his own ball , his ability to get out of traffic was amazing and his finishing skills were just top draw stuff

The first two games of 21 Dusty was standout BOG , then the foot injury , even then he had good stats and was doing deft little things in traffic, it wasn’t drawing any comments Victim of his own high standards

What will 2022 and beyond bring for our Dusty ?
What ever it is , shut out the noise and just savior what ever he brings

• Love
Reactions: 10 users