Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Robinson does know the video in the club was taken years ago, doesn’t he? He also understands it was taken without anyones consent, including that of Dustin and the girl involved, right? As a journo maybe it’s his role to find out who took the video and released and out them, because they’re the real culprit.

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I thought Robbo was criticising the AFL more than Dusty. Imo he was highlighting the different attitude to what Jess Hosking did & was vilified for & what Dusty did & "nothing to see here".

Absolutely he was and there's some merit in what he says. I don't agree Hosking was hard done by but he is right that Dustin should have made a statement about it and that he should talk to the media more.

Reactions: 1 users

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Absolutely he was and there's some merit in what he says. I don't agree Hosking was hard done by but he is right that Dustin should have made a statement about it and that he should talk to the media more.
Yeah nah TBR. The Dusty incident was from a private function years ago. Private, behind closed doors. For a guy who doesn’t make statements about anything to the press during his entire career, he would just have been giving oxygen to the flames, that to be fair had guttered out, as they should, until Robbo decided to bring it up again. Jess Hosking’s texts marks had nothing to do with Dusty. At all. Jess, for whatever reason, decided to make some written comments on her strapping that was out in the public domain for all the world to see. Nice hip and shoulder she laid on during the game too.

Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Yeah nah TBR. The Dusty incident was from a private function years ago. Private, behind closed doors. For a guy who doesn’t make statements about anything to the press during his entire career, he would just have been giving oxygen to the flames, that to be fair had guttered out, as they should, until Robbo decided to bring it up again.

I still think it would have been a good thing to make a quick statement saying he regretted the incident, it was a long time ago and he now sees it is not the right way to treat women.

Simple, clean and classy.

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I still think it would have been a good thing to make a quick statement saying he regretted the incident, it was a long time ago and he now sees it is not the right way to treat women.

I'm sure he's had those views for some time. The problem with doing what you suggest is people will then say "nah, he's just sayng that because he got caught". Good move by Dusty and the club just to move on from it. It was 7 years ago. Nothing to be gained by him saying anything.

Reactions: 4 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I think we sell Robbo short... quality journo, writing quality stuff, under the watchful eye of a quality family!
Even got an award and his paper received one too,....... for Best Melbourne Newspaper..... from the head of his company!News-Awards-group-2022.jpg
Unfortunately, by the time they got round to the photos... Robbo had pawned his trophy for a coupla cans of p!ss.

• Haha

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
I think we sell Robbo short... quality journo, writing quality stuff, under the watchful eye of a quality family!
Even got an award and his paper received one too,....... for Best Melbourne Newspaper..... from the head of his company!View attachment 17460
Unfortunately, by the time they got round to the photos... Robbo had pawned his trophy for a coupla cans of p!ss.
So sad fish n chip wrapper at best.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Even got an award and his paper received one too,....... for Best Melbourne Newspaper..... from the head of his company!View attachment 17460
What are these two goofs doing?

1669184040053.png

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I'm sure he's had those views for some time. The problem with doing what you suggest is people will then say "nah, he's just sayng that because he got caught". Good move by Dusty and the club just to move on from it. It was 7 years ago. Nothing to be gained by him saying anything.

I don't think you can base your response on the reaction of people, people are jerks. There's always some knob who will chip you no matter what you say, just as they do every time with every person who apologises.

The best team manager of any sport I ever saw used to say set your standards by what you'd want your child to do. I'd want my son to own his mistake and face the music.

Reactions: 1 user

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Not sure why so many here defend Dusty's media silence. The kids love to hear their heroes speak, and it doesn't need to be much to continue his connection with the supporter base. I hope all future big contracts will have a clause that outlines how this aspect is part of a marquee player's performance KPI. He doesn't have to answer interview questions. He can speak exclusively to club media. This year's two finger gestures to the cameras in the clubrooms was just petulant. He has been nothing short of amazing until 2020, but that doesn't give him a licence to bite the hand that feeds him and shun those young eyes of adoration who for better or worse are seeing him as a role model.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
By the way there's a fair double standard in play when it's how dare Robbo comment about Dustin, but in the next sentence Robbo cops all manner of personal abuse.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yep. As jimbob said, it was a private function.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
He doesn't have to answer interview questions.

He should do more media as well, AJ.

It's a pretty simple equation for me, anywhere else, if you are an employee of an organisation who makes 80% of the money they pay you with from one stakeholder, and that stakeholder wants to talk to you and you refuse, either the money stops or your job stops.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
I agree totally, but also understand that Dusty knows he can be ambushed by a quick question about any number of issues. He's not like Cotchy or Jack. He doesn't think quickly on his feet with the cameras and knows he is one faux pas comment from the front page of the Sun.
So, his best strategy is to do lots of club media and always have his or Ralph's approval on any footage.

As I said, he is coming across to the kids as petulant. He still has a big influence on the fabric of the club. This is not what we want from our future superstars. The false perception is that he doesn't care and this feeds the hyenas in the media.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I have no issue with Martin not doing media , He is paid to play football and not to perform for the media or have to discuss his private life.

Reactions: 8 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
I don't think you can base your response on the reaction of people, people are jerks. There's always some knob who will chip you no matter what you say, just as they do every time with every person who apologises.

The best team manager of any sport I ever saw used to say set your standards by what you'd want your child to do. I'd want my son to own his mistake and face the music.
So who’s he doing it for? I completely agree with you if it was soon after the event. Own it. It’s 7 years ago. That’s my point. I don’t think anything is achieved by saying sorry I’ve learnt from it. He’s learnt from many other learnings and experiences - not some knob putting a 7 year old video on the internet.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004

But does he?

The AFL may want him to say that, kind of like Tex “I’m sorry I said racist things” or Beveridge “I’m sorry I called that journo bad names” but they don’t really mean it.

The public apology is a show. Love Island has more credits in reality than the AFL public please explain.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I agree totally, but also understand that Dusty knows he can be ambushed by a quick question about any number of issues.

That's where he just needs to be smart with his choices, like the Nick Riewoldt interview.

Richo isn't going to ambush him, nor will Sarah Jones on the ground after a game. There's plenty of puff pieces around.

I have no issue with Martin not doing media , He is paid to play football and not to perform for the media or have to discuss his private life.

He is paid a fortune to play footy because the media fund it. You'd have a case if he only took 300k a season but if you take their money you owe them more.

But does he?

The AFL may want him to say that, kind of like Tex “I’m sorry I said racist things” or Beveridge “I’m sorry I called that journo bad names” but they don’t really mean it.

The public apology is a show. Love Island has more credits in reality than the AFL public please explain.

That maybe so but I still think when you are a person of influence it is an important gesture.