Dusty and Ben Crowe | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dusty and Ben Crowe

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
I was at the club with my 2 boys for one of the Tigers members days. Run by Mark Williams and Dusty. I think it must have been his first year as he had to stand in front of the group and talk. There where around 30 people there. He was so shy he could not get his words out, I remember as I had done a lot of public speaking I knew the place he was in right then. I said take your time Dustin, we are looking forward to what you have to say. with that he took a deep breathe and started his talk about a day in the life of an AFL Footballer. Chocco was wonderful with Dusty and all the kids there that day, To see him now and the person he has become is a true testament that people can and do change in positive ways and he has grown so much as an individual.
when Dusty arrived at the club the only words we could get out of him was " hey, hello, thanks , cya " lol
he was super shy, i wasnt at the member day you spoke of ( i departed the club before choco arrived " but i can definetly see that from dusty
its awesome to see how much he has matured now

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
when the misses asks 'why aren't you doing the dishes TF?'

youlle be able to tell her 'I'm being the dishes love'
You could make some huge coin as a life coach to the rich and famous eez.

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I’m actually a bit concerned about that reading list, and I made the same judgment about it. While Emma and now BC seem to have had positive effects on turning our players into happy, team-oriented winners (and hurrah for that), I’ve seen nothing to give me confidence about Dusty’s future (and future happiness and sense of purpose).

So after all this, he’s decided he wants to help people feel loved, and be remembered as a caring person - is that it? Very motherhood and apple pie. How will the drive that won him 2017 be fulfilled after football - where is the tangible path?

If he were reading Ivan Denisovich, or eg texts about disadvantage and remedial education, with a view to becoming a teacher in programs like Rance’s or Houli’s, I’d be far more impressed. The stuff cited here seems like those meals that leave you hungry 30 mins later.
I'd listen to Dusty for an hour rather than Alex for a minute, on personality, HaS, not religious views. (I'd listen to Rance longer on that.)

When Murray said that she thought that the highest EI in the group was exhibited by Rance and Grimes it surprised me. When I hear Dusty speak I hear EI. When I read the personal history I read good circumstances for EI.

Has he overcome some obstacles? Mr (Bones) Martin makes no matter of it but he is a man of colour. What if his Spotify shows that he favours Stereolab and Bruno Mars? Does that make him cosmopolitan?

Mr Martin showed his hands manacled after he kicked a goal. He was sanctioned for that. And never did it gain. But men of colour are more often in prison. Was it not a radical statement?

He's 29 years old. XY Cis. The numbers say his brain is still growing. The money stymies. There is a threshold and then it stymies.

Dustin Martin is an interesting man.

HeadandShin

Burning bright
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
He's 29 years old. XY Cis. The numbers say his brain is still growing. The money stymies. There is a threshold and then it stymies.

Dustin Martin is an interesting man.
At the risk of overthinking about someone I actually know little about, I’ve long been concerned about what Dusty will do after footy. He doesn’t seem to have the desire or personality for media. I don’t see him as a coach. He doesn’t have the education to segue into law/finance/property development/business, like others. He hasn’t developed an alternative, future-sustaining passion like Grimes and Houli (mentoring, not fishing!), or a relationship/family as a focus like Cotch, Houli and Lids.

As you say, his mind is still developing and he is rich. He will need to replace the buzz after retirement, and fill the hours. He has some dodgy connections. He could be led or just wander into trouble. I’d hate to see him become another GA Senior. As I say, hope I’m just overthinking and worrying unduly.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
My understanding is Dusty is pretty interested in property investment. Good hobby.
He's certainly made a few footy team's his property over the journey so seems a good fit.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Interesting to see that Ben Crowe is also mentor to Ash Barty.
She has flourished in the past couple of years to be No. 1 in tennis.
Guess he has an influence of some magnitude with our loveable Ash.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
At the risk of overthinking about someone I actually know little about, I’ve long been concerned about what Dusty will do after footy. He doesn’t seem to have the desire or personality for media. I don’t see him as a coach. He doesn’t have the education to segue into law/finance/property development/business, like others. He hasn’t developed an alternative, future-sustaining passion like Grimes and Houli (mentoring, not fishing!), or a relationship/family as a focus like Cotch, Houli and Lids.

As you say, his mind is still developing and he is rich. He will need to replace the buzz after retirement, and fill the hours. He has some dodgy connections. He could be led or just wander into trouble. I’d hate to see him become another GA Senior. As I say, hope I’m just overthinking and worrying unduly.
If somebody is talking to Dustin Martin about self worth I'm a believer, HaS.

Does Mr Martin have a dog? Is it black? I don't know. But I know Gerald well and he has such a dog.

People are trying to get by. If Gerald can find, in his own meaningless success, a reason to invest in property, to buy just a lousy $1M worth of false hope, I'm all yea.

Gerald is far too invested in the brutal nothingness of now to inspire his people. Too parentified to parent.

Getting back to Dustin Martin, I can see why success may yet fail him. But I can guess why the past did.

Reactions: 1 user

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
I’m actually a bit concerned about that reading list, and I made the same judgment about it. While Emma and now BC seem to have had positive effects on turning our players into happy, team-oriented winners (and hurrah for that), I’ve seen nothing to give me confidence about Dusty’s future (and future happiness and sense of purpose).

So after all this, he’s decided he wants to help people feel loved, and be remembered as a caring person - is that it? Very motherhood and apple pie. How will the drive that won him 2017 be fulfilled after football - where is the tangible path?

If he were reading Ivan Denisovich, or eg texts about disadvantage and remedial education, with a view to becoming a teacher in programs like Rance’s or Houli’s, I’d be far more impressed. The stuff cited here seems like those meals that leave you hungry 30 mins later.
our game and all professional sports are littered with fallen stars
the fame and fortune destroys their lives
if Emma and Ben have planted the notion of striving to be a decent person away from the football arena in Dusty , good on them
do think the Richmond thing is trying to do that with all of them
if we as a club are pumping out young guys with these really solid values implanted in them its the quiet path to creating a dynasty
just think of the parents and grandparents telling their 18 yo's that are draft nominated "choose Richmond"

Reactions: 2 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
If somebody is talking to Dustin Martin about self worth I'm a believer, HaS.

Does Mr Martin have a dog? Is it black? I don't know. But I know Gerald well and he has such a dog.

People are trying to get by. If Gerald can find, in his own meaningless success, a reason to invest in property, to buy just a lousy $1M worth of false hope, I'm all yea.

Gerald is far too invested in the brutal nothingness of now to inspire his people. Too parentified to parent.

Getting back to Dustin Martin, I can see why success may yet fail him. But I can guess why the past did.
Who is this Gerald?

Whately?

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Fame is the price you pay for glory. And money is the compensation for fame. Dusty has minimised his fame and maximised his compensation. That's smart. Sure, he had smart advisors.

Who is this Gerald?

Whately?

Gerald is imaginary, Y. Somebody who is in a similar position to the famous one, but anonymous. Dusty is probably better off than the Gerald I've invented here.